Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

No gear markings on SRAM Eagle 12 speed shifter?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

No gear markings on SRAM Eagle 12 speed shifter?

Old 06-23-22, 09:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
How could you not know unless your legs and lungs are numb? If I want a lower gear, I shift down. If I want a higher gear, I shift up. If I can't shift either direction, then I know I'm in my lowest or highest gear. I don't need a visual indicator to explain the obvious to me.

When I'm on a MTB trail there is no time to check the chosen gear (risk of crashing) and it is mostly irrelevant to have the gear displayed. There is only one chainring so just shift the gears for the given riding conditions...by feeling

When I'm on a road bike there is no time to check gears either cruising along at 18-22 mph. Again...it's easy to feel if you are in the right gear.
So basically, you do it X way, so obviously it's correct for everyone.

Do you know if any of those statements are relevant to riding a recumbent? I'm pretty sure I don't.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-23-22, 09:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by cxwrench
You have got to be kidding. Your assumption is that the rider will not look in front of them and make sure the distance covered while looking down at their cassette, which takes about 1 second, isn't occupied by a giant pothole and/or big truck.

Maybe it's a big truck lurking in a giant pothole, just waiting to leap out at the cassette-gazing cyclist.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-23-22, 09:33 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions

Do you know if any of those statements are relevant to riding a recumbent? I'm pretty sure I don't.
I thjnk it is a knee jerk reaction for some people that when they don’t have a good answer then they feel it must have been a bad question.
Old 06-23-22, 09:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Apparently this was covered here 7 years ago. The overall consensus back then (like now) is by feel.

https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...-shifters.html

Nahh, that thread OP took the opposite extreme and stupid view--that people were irrational for not wanting the indicators. It's equally stupid to tell someone they shouldn't want indicators.
Old 06-23-22, 10:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I thjnk it is a knee jerk reaction for some people that when they don’t have a good answer then they feel it must have been a bad question.

Nahh, I think this is more of a put-down status thing, telling people their legs are stupid or something.
Old 06-23-22, 10:56 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I've done a lot of city riding over my lifetime. My formative years and racing years, Boston. If you want to live long riding in Boston, you don't spend a lot of time looking at your cassette. On many streets, those looks simply don't happen. Solid lines of parked cars and potential doors with traffic on your left beside you. I got caught many times when lights changed not knowing what gear I was in. Now I was not on a recumbent so that stopped look back was easy and lifting the rear wheel to change gears not much harder.

I often found riding the fix gear and knowing exactly what my start-up was going to be kinda nice, even if some of those starts (esp uphill) were hard.
Old 06-23-22, 11:06 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Nahh, that thread OP took the opposite extreme and stupid view--that people were irrational for not wanting the indicators. It's equally stupid to tell someone they shouldn't want indicators.
And as I suggested (I think on the first page but I:m not going back to look) - a business opportunity. Invent that slick little in-line indicator that could be located anywhere on the housing. Now, if a forum member took this on, he might have to do it under another name to protect himself! Because inventing and marketing something nobody needs is far more wrong than simply asking about it and we know from this thread how wrong that is.

(Says he who adds real weight to his fix gear pedals to improve the climbing experience. Is it possible to go more wrong?)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-23-22, 12:47 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts

Recumbent doesn't change the statements that have been made.
Old 06-23-22, 12:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

You are complicating this more than it needs to be. It's a physical characteristic that you can feel with your legs and lungs. Knowing how fast you are going or how many watts you are putting down is much different than the physical feeling in your legs and lungs.
How do you know you're in a good gear combination if you can't match that feeling in your legs and lungs with changes in your speed?
How could you not know unless your legs and lungs are numb?
So wait, is the feeling in the legs and lungs the same as knowing your speed or is it much different? What the hell are you talking about?

Pretty sure you've complicated this so much you can't keep track of all the "you should be able to" things you've said.
Old 06-23-22, 12:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Recumbent doesn't change the statements that have been made.

Nonsense.
Old 06-23-22, 01:27 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Regardless how this thread ends, I'm sure it has made one hit wonder Morris Albert's day.

John
Old 06-23-22, 01:33 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Sorry for the above post. That song just brings out the LarrySellerz in me.

Makes me want to take off my shirt and go for a ride.

John
Old 06-23-22, 02:58 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,889 Times in 1,646 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO

John
Shame on you - posting an utterly irrelevant song video.

On the other hand, I got your numbers and cycling content right here.

[Edited to add, since I shouldn't have assumed that everyone would make the connection: the cycling content would be that the guys in Kraftwerk were obsessed with cycling in the early '80s. For example, during their tours, they would often have their drivers drop them and their bikes up to 200 km away from the next venue, so that they could ride in.]

Last edited by Trakhak; 06-23-22 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-23-22, 04:46 PM
70sSanO

Obviously when someone has to explain something it is a miss. Just like the “Feelings” song relating to riding by feel.

On an unrelated topic, it was in the low 90’s on my ride today and it felt hot.

John
Old 06-23-22, 06:18 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak

[Edited to add, since I shouldn't have assumed that everyone would make the connection: the cycling content would be that the guys in Kraftwerk were obsessed with cycling in the early '80s.
You don’t say.

Old 06-23-22, 09:55 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
You have got to be kidding. Your assumption is that the rider will not look in front of them and make sure the distance covered while looking down at their cassette, which takes about 1 second, isn't occupied by a giant pothole and/or big truck.
It has caught me off guard a few times when doing it in urban traffic conditions. The main problem was drifting ever so slightly to the left or right in that one second glance, almost getting into the path of the fast moving traffic or bumping to the rider beside me. Luckily, none resulted to accident. Nevertheless it's a source of distraction and keeping distractions to a minimum or zero helps make things safer.

Definitely NOT a good thing to do on group rides.

I went 1x and started using helmet mirror for one reason so my eyes are glued to the front view of the road at all times. Sure you can do the same thing with 2x but 1x is simpler for simple minds.
Old 06-23-22, 10:09 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO

John
This song would actually make you take your shirt off in a ride.

Old 06-23-22, 11:22 PM
70sSanO

Originally Posted by koala logs
This song would actually make you take your shirt off in a ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msSc7Mv0QHY
Not sure about the shirt, but maybe ride to a Chick-fil-A.

John
Old 06-24-22, 03:21 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 345 Posts
So why don't the higher end systems have it? It doesn't strike me as something particularly expensive to do, and whilst not everyone will use them all of the time it wouldn't hurt. They seem standard on everything about Alivio and under, so I'm assuming it's a conscious decision by manufacturers not to.

I tend to drop a few gears before stopping (when I have notice), and I'm happy glancing back at the cassette if I'm not sure, but I wouldn't mind if any of my bikes had an indicator on it. It wouldn't even need to be a full 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11, even a 1 - 6 - 11 or 1 - 11 would do.
Old 06-24-22, 07:09 AM
prj71

So wait, is the feeling in the legs and lungs the same as knowing your speed or is it much different? What the hell are you talking about?
I'm not sure why you are focused on speed. But when I'm riding (and this is probably the same for the majority of folks) there comes a point (usually a hill climb) where either the legs want to give out or the lungs want to give it out (or sometimes both) which is the physical indicator that a person should shift to an easier gear. Or if riding on the flats and the pedaling is too easy or the cadence is super high...it's another physical indicator to shift to a harder gear. This isn't that difficult and you don't need an indicator to tell you when do these things. Your body tells you. This is a no brainer common sense thing...well at least for some.

I was reminded last night on our group road ride, where we were rolling along at 25 mph for 8 miles, that having to look at a gear indicator or at your cassette for a split second could result in a crashy experience. Keep an eye on the bike in front of you and shift as needed according to what your body is telling you.
Old 06-24-22, 07:33 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
So why don't the higher end systems have it? It doesn't strike me as something particularly expensive to do, and whilst not everyone will use them all of the time it wouldn't hurt. They seem standard on everything about Alivio and under, so I'm assuming it's a conscious decision by manufacturers not to.

I tend to drop a few gears before stopping (when I have notice), and I'm happy glancing back at the cassette if I'm not sure, but I wouldn't mind if any of my bikes had an indicator on it. It wouldn't even need to be a full 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11, even a 1 - 6 - 11 or 1 - 11 would do.
Because that would kill sales.
Old 06-24-22, 07:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I'm not sure why you are focused on speed. But when I'm riding (and this is probably the same for the majority of folks) there comes a point (usually a hill climb) where either the legs want to give out or the lungs want to give it out (or sometimes both) which is the physical indicator that a person should shift to an easier gear. Or if riding on the flats and the pedaling is too easy or the cadence is super high...it's another physical indicator to shift to a harder gear. This isn't that difficult and you don't need an indicator to tell you when do these things. Your body tells you. This is a no brainer common sense thing...well at least for some.

I was reminded last night on our group road ride, where we were rolling along at 25 mph for 8 miles, that having to look at a gear indicator or at your cassette for a split second could result in a crashy experience. Keep an eye on the bike in front of you and shift as needed according to what your body is telling you.

This is what is wrong with your entire "you should" approach to this thread--OP isn't going to be going 25 mph in a group ride, they're riding a recumbent and are more concerned with being in the right gear at stoplights. They find the markings useful in doing this. You and I wouldn't. That doesn't make them wrong.

OP wasn't asking what's right for the majority of folks. Seriously, who but marketers GAF about that? OP wanted a feature that you and I don't care about, and was given some pretty good advice about a work around, but you seem to feel better about yourself if you can scold OP for asking the question.
Old 06-24-22, 07:49 AM
prj71

This is what is wrong with your entire "you should" approach to this thread--OP isn't going to be going 25 mph in a group ride, they're riding a recumbent and are more concerned with being in the right gear at stoplights. They find the markings useful in doing this. You and I wouldn't. That doesn't make them wrong.

OP wasn't asking what's right for the majority of folks. Seriously, who but marketers GAF about that? OP wanted a feature that you and I don't care about, and was given some pretty good advice about a work around, but you seem to feel better about yourself if you can scold OP for asking the question.

Lol. I don't know about you...But when I approach a stoplight or stop sign I will A.) keep it in the same gear and keep rolling if I can see that there aren't any cars coming or B.) If I see cars coming or can't see if there any then I switch to an easier gear so it's easier to take off from a stop. Again...a little common sense goes a long way.

Long story short...We aren't getting gear indicators back on ours shifters. So learn how to adapt.
Old 06-24-22, 07:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Lol. I don't know about you...But when I approach a stoplight or stop sign I will A.) keep it in the same gear and keep rolling if I can see that there aren't any cars coming or B.) If I see cars coming or can't see if there any then I switch to an easier gear so it's easier to take off from a stop. Again...a little common sense goes a long way.

Long story short...We aren't getting gear indicators back on ours shifters. So learn how to adapt.
This thread isn't about you or me. OP finds it useful, and telling OP they lack "common sense" because they find it useful is a useless condescending comment on your part.

OP is adapting by taking the suggestion of someone who was actually trying to be helpful and making marks on the twist shifter. You just don't approve of that, apparently.

Have you gotten enough attention playing the "Pope of Cycling" yet?
Old 06-24-22, 08:00 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts

Holycrap, you can do that on YOUR bent.

I must be doing it all wrong.

I can do all what you wrote easily on my regular bike.
Likes For GhostRider62:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.