Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's your disc brake pad mileage?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What's your disc brake pad mileage?

Old 08-06-22, 08:53 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Burble, exactly!
Good to hear that it's not just my bike.
Old 08-06-22, 08:30 PM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Part of my motivation starting this thread was to determine if I needed to get some additional pairs while I can. I basically have zero spares of anything for this new bike and I'm trying to gauge what I might need in the near and distant future. I've already purchased the pads and some quick links for the chain. Next will be another chain, some tires and bar wrap. I like to have consumables and basic maintenance items on hand. Although I won't need a new cassette for a while I've begun monitoring the prices and I'll get one for my parts drawer once an opportunity presents itself.
been doing similar search for parts. Just got 2 ultegra chains from Jenson $38 each. Going to get some brake pads and cassete
Old 08-07-22, 01:34 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
My rear brake pads are now at 8600km and ripe for a change. Typical mileage at which I replace them is more like 7500-8000km.
​​​​​​
Old 08-09-22, 09:02 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by greysquirrel
Did you actually get them yet? I heard Performance was unreliable.
I got mine fine.

order 8/3/22
delivered 8/6/22
Old 08-10-22, 03:43 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
I just replaced the pads on my bike that had circa 3000 miles on them. If I wasn't headed off on a very hilly bikepacking trip at the weekend, I wouldn't have even bothered as the pads still had plenty of life left on them. The rear barely looked worn and the front was about 1/3 gone. So I just popped the used pads back in my spares box for another time.
Old 08-10-22, 08:44 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
I'm new to hydraulic discs. I've read several things here and there stating a wide range of mileage that one gets from their pads. I was just wondering how often you're replacing yours? I know it can be quite dependent on the environment your ride in. I'll be riding in dry weather on flat roads and probably never encounter rain.

Sorry if this is a rather N00b question but I'm starting from ground zero as far a disc experience goes. I guess I was just wondering if I should start to load up on pads when I see a sale on them.

There is no average mileage. All depends on how much you use the brakes.

I can go on a 30 mile loop near home and not have to hit the brakes once other than when I pull into the driveway. Then there are some other loops that I've applied the brakes a half dozen times in 20 miles.

Think of it like the mail man...The mail man probably replaces the brake pads every two months in his vehicle. My truck is 4 years old and has 72,000 miles on it. I'm still on the original brakes pads from when the truck was new and they aren't even burned through half way yet. I have done a lot of long trips across the country with that truck and locally which is why.
Old 08-10-22, 08:52 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
I'm aware of the holes in my question. It's just that I'm new to Hydraulic Disc Brakes and was throwing the question out to the community to see the various responses. As I stated... I just bought a new bike and I'm somewhat concerned about the availability and price for various consumables and I'm trying to devise a purchasing plan in order to get the best price I can once I see what I may need become available. For the record, 90% of my mileage is on flat ground and good roads in great weather. I don't expect them to wear down too quick.

I do appreciate all the responses.
Old 08-10-22, 08:58 AM
prj71

I just bought a new bike and I'm somewhat concerned about the availability and price for various consumables and I'm trying to devise a purchasing plan in order to get the best price I can once I see what I may need become available.
There is nothing to be concerned about. You can buy brake pads 24/7/365 from Amazon, Ebay, other online bike stores or your local bike shop. There is not a shortage of brake pads.
Old 08-10-22, 12:19 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by prj71
There is nothing to be concerned about. You can buy brake pads 24/7/365 from Amazon, Ebay, other online bike stores or your local bike shop. There is not a shortage of brake pads.
You haven't bought anything in the last two years, have ya?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-10-22, 12:40 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by WhyFi
You haven't bought anything in the last two years, have ya?
Are you kidding?

Between last fall and now I've purchased dropper post, dropper post switch, brake calipers, rotors, seats, chains, 12 speed shifter, carbon bars, fat bike tires, mountain bike tires, road bike tires, clipless pedals, two sets of carbon wheels and probably a few other things I forgot about.

And as far as brake pads are concerned...I just bought these last month for two of my bikes...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 08-10-22, 12:44 PM
WhyFi

Are you kidding?

Between last fall and now I've purchased dropper post, dropper post switch, brake calipers, rotors, seats, chains, 12 speed shifter, carbon bars, fat bike tires, mountain bike tires, road bike tires, clipless pedals, two sets of carbon wheels and probably a few other things I forgot about.

And as far as brake pads are concerned...I just bought these last month for two of my bikes...

Yup, in the last couple months, a few things have trickled out, but stock is still thin. 5 months ago? 12 months ago? Chains, pads, etc - scalper prices only. To deny that there have been serious stock shortages is ridiculous and factually incorrect.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-10-22, 12:49 PM
prj71

Yup, in the last couple months, a few things have trickled out, but stock is still thin. 5 months ago? 12 months ago? Chains, pads, etc - scalper prices only. To deny that there have been serious stock shortages is ridiculous and factually incorrect.
There hasn't been a bike part that I haven't been able to buy in the last 2 years. The parts shortage was overhyped. Just have to be resourceful and know where to look.

There was a thread on this forum a while back where someone couldn't find a chain. I looked and found all sorts of chains.
Old 08-10-22, 12:51 PM
WhyFi

There hasn't been a bike part that I haven't been able to buy in the last 2 years. The parts shortage was overhyped. Just have to be resourceful and know where to look.

There was a thread on this forum a while back where someone couldn't find a chain. I looked and found all sorts of chains.
Oh, stop.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-10-22, 01:39 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
Definitely. Braking habits, topography, community - lots of reasons for mileage to vary.

I've never sanded down my rotors, though I've sanded down my pads once in a while, when they've been contaminated.

My brakes take the Shimano L03a pads. Please find them for me at something approximating the $28 msrp, please. And please don't send a link to some Taiwanese seller that will charge $45 for shipping to the US.
Old 08-10-22, 01:48 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
My brakes take the Shimano L03a pads. Please find them for me at something approximating the $28 msrp, please. And please don't send a link to some Taiwanese seller that will charge $45 for shipping to the US.
I've got two pairs of L05A (the successor to L03A) waiting for me in my mailbox from Performance (see above). They are out now, but other vendors should have this in stock now or soon.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-10-22, 02:19 PM
prj71

I'm not sure why you are looking for LO3a pads. They have been discontinued and replaced with L05A-RF. Took me all of about 30 seconds...

https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-L05A-.../dp/B09PQP1WH4

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...5A-RF&_sacat=0
Old 08-10-22, 02:27 PM
Koyote

I'm not sure why you are looking for LO3a pads. They have been discontinued and replaced with L05A-RF. Took me all of about 30 seconds...

https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-L05A-.../dp/B09PQP1WH4

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...5A-RF&_sacat=0
Polaris OBark beat you to it, but I thank you both for the tip.

​​​​WhyFi is still correct: pretending that there were not significant parts shortages (including disc brake pads and rotors) during the pandemic is...well, pretending. Though it did lead to some weird anomalies, at times: I sometimes found Dura Ace 11sp chains at lower prices than Ultegra chains.
Old 08-10-22, 02:33 PM
prj71

Polaris OBark beat you to it, but I thank you both for the tip.

​​​​WhyFi is still correct: pretending that there were not significant parts shortages (including disc brake pads and rotors) during the pandemic is...well, pretending. Though it did lead to some weird anomalies, at times: I sometimes found Dura Ace 11sp chains at lower prices than Ultegra chains.
I was looking around when he replied. Yeah I don't know. I didn't have any problems finding any parts I needed the past 2 years. Was even able to buy hubs for the 2 carbon wheelsets I had built up.

From my list above...My bike shop couldn't get some of the parts for a bike rebuild I was doing (they claimed supply chain shortage through their vendors) so I had to source them online and bring them in to the bikes shop. Whatever they couldn't get I had in 2-3 days.

Kool Stop and other brands also supply LO3A alternatives.

https://glorycycles.com/kool-stop-co...-shimano-l03a/

https://www.amazon.com/Hardheaded-Ra...0163802&sr=8-5

Last edited by prj71; 08-10-22 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-10-22, 02:43 PM
Koyote

I was looking around when he replied. Yeah I don't know. I didn't have any problems finding any parts I needed the past 2 years. Was even able to buy hubs for the 2 carbon wheelsets I had built up.

From my list above...My bike shop couldn't get some of the parts for a bike rebuild I was doing (they claimed supply chain shortage through their vendors) so I had to source them online and bring them in to the bikes shop. Whatever they couldn't get I had in 2-3 days.

Kool Stop and other brands also supply LO3A alternatives.

https://glorycycles.com/kool-stop-co...-shimano-l03a/

https://www.amazon.com/Hardheaded-Ra...0163802&sr=8-5
I think it depends on what you were looking for during the pandemic. Shimano rotors were, for a time, extremely difficult to find, and expensive when available -- well over msrp. Chains were available, but often at prices much higher than pre-pandemic levels. And hopefully you weren't looking for a complete bike in 2020, because the few shops I frequent were pretty much tapped out from about April onward.
Old 08-10-22, 03:05 PM
WhyFi

I think it depends on what you were looking for during the pandemic. Shimano rotors were, for a time, extremely difficult to find, and expensive when available -- well over msrp. Chains were available, but often at prices much higher than pre-pandemic levels. And hopefully you weren't looking for a complete bike in 2020, because the few shops I frequent were pretty much tapped out from about April onward.
Over the winter, I went to my LBS and chatted with em. They were like, "oh, everything is awesome as long as you don't need any 11-speed parts before Nov."

I was actually in need of chains and found one local shop that was showing some in stock. I drove over and they insisted that they'd been out of Shimano chains for a couple months. "That's weird - you're showing more than ten online." That confused them and prompted them to really dig through their stock room. Lo and behold - they found a forgotten box! I was tempted to buy a bunch, but I'm not that big of an ******* so I only bought the two that I needed for the year.
Old 08-11-22, 07:42 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Oh, stop.
He likes to argue!

The only thing I don't have issues buying right now is clothing. The rest is a PITA. Waited 5 months for a set of tires, waited 3 months for quick links, looking for a new bike and will probably have to wait 1 year. The list goes on!
Old 08-11-22, 09:20 AM
prj71

And hopefully you weren't looking for a complete bike in 2020, because the few shops I frequent were pretty much tapped out from about April onward.
I bought the following complete bikes either online or from LBS in that time frame:
  • April 2020 bought a brand new Trek Domane SL5 (GF's Bike).
  • October 2020 bought a brand new Spot Mayhem (online purchase)
  • March 2021 bought a brand new Kona Woo.
  • April 2021 bought another brand new Trek Domane SL5
October 2021 I almost pulled the trigger on generation 2 Spot Mayhem (which was also available as a complete bike) but backed out due to some other circumstances. Each of the shops where I purchased the bikes had all sorts of road bikes, mountain bikes and hybrid type bikes on their floor when I went to buy.

Last edited by prj71; 08-11-22 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-11-22, 09:24 AM
Koyote

I bought the following complete bikes either online or from LBS in that time frame:
  • April 2020 bought a brand new Trek Domane SL5 (GF's Bike).
  • October 2020 bought a brand new Spot Mayhem (online purchase)
  • March 2021 bought a brand new Kona Woo.
  • April 2021 bought another brand new Trek Domane SL5
October 2021 I almost pulled the trigger on generation 2 Spot Mayhem (which was also available as a complete bike) but backed out due to some other circumstances. Each of the shops where I purchased the bikes had all sorts of road bikes, mountain bikes and hybrid type bikes on their floor when I went to buy.
Oh, stop.
Well said, WhyFi .

The plural of "anecdote" is not "fact."
Old 08-11-22, 09:42 AM
prj71

Lol. Those are the facts and these are the bikes:

Last edited by prj71; 08-11-22 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-11-22, 09:46 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Well said, WhyFi .

The plural of "anecdote" is not "fact."
He must have been that cool kid with all kind of extraordinary stories in elementary school.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.