Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are Hookless compatible tires cheaper to produce?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Are Hookless compatible tires cheaper to produce?

Old 09-26-22, 10:36 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Haven't ridden tubeless so no comment there. I would far rather flat a tubular in front than a clincher. I rode tubulars for 3 decades and got my far share of front flats. Coming to a stop never rated as "memorable" events, Yes, the heart rate spike when it happens and pretty funky steering, but not a big deal unless you are cornering. I'm returning to tubulars for all my good bikes primarily for that reason; safety after blowouts/flats. (The sublime ride and security of feeling riding over virtually anything is the nice desert. )
I've seen enough rolled tubulars in my time to know that this also isn't a bullet proof solution.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 09-26-22, 12:12 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
pretty funky steering, but not a big deal unless you are cornering)
Well as long as you can guarantee you won't flat while cornering, no problem! Unfortunately, I've been unable to schedule my flats, regardless of tire technology.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 09-26-22, 05:15 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I've seen enough rolled tubulars in my time to know that this also isn't a bullet proof solution.
But ... that's user error. Glue 'em properly and not an issue. And the glue job is easy to check.
Old 09-26-22, 05:17 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Well as long as you can guarantee you won't flat while cornering, no problem! Unfortunately, I've been unable to schedule my flats, regardless of tire technology.
Show me the tire that will keep you up in a corner flatted. I want to know.
Old 09-26-22, 07:56 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Flats on the front have nothing to do with tubed/tubeless/tubular. A flat on the front frequently results in a dramatic loss of control, and is many times more difficult to control than a flat on the rear. FWIW, I've been running tubeless on my road bikes for a few years and have flatted at speed. Not an experience I'm eager to repeat..
But of course the tire type does have to do with the conditions of the flat, and it’s simply unlikely that a punctured, or even cut, tubeless tire will rapidly deflate like a punctured tubed tire, or punctured tubular tire, will. It’s precisely the design of a tubeless tire and rim to hold air, unlike a tubed/tubular tire and rim which will not hold air at all if the tube is punctured. Furthermore, without any sealant to slow or stop air loss, tubed/tubular tires will deflate rapidly, with probable catastrophic impacts on handling. Due to the dramatically slower air loss rate of tubeless tires, loss of handling and control takes much longer, giving the rider a significantly bigger window to understand the condition (both feel of softening tire, and often, the telltale hissing of the puncture as sealant goes to work) and avoid dangerous situations.

Unlike relying on a flat tire to keep a rider from sliding out on an extremely slippery rim-to-road interface, a tubeless tire will go soft but still afford pneumatic grip long before it loses all air pressure (in most cases) and is far safer for that fact.
Old 09-28-22, 07:01 PM
bbbean 

Originally Posted by chaadster
But of course the tire type does have to do with the conditions of the flat, and it’s simply unlikely that a punctured, or even cut, tubeless tire will rapidly deflate like a punctured tubed tire, or punctured tubular tire, will. It’s precisely the design of a tubeless tire and rim to hold air, unlike a tubed/tubular tire and rim which will not hold air at all if the tube is punctured. Furthermore, without any sealant to slow or stop air loss, tubed/tubular tires will deflate rapidly, with probable catastrophic impacts on handling. Due to the dramatically slower air loss rate of tubeless tires, loss of handling and control takes much longer, giving the rider a significantly bigger window to understand the condition (both feel of softening tire, and often, the telltale hissing of the puncture as sealant goes to work) and avoid dangerous situations.

Unlike relying on a flat tire to keep a rider from sliding out on an extremely slippery rim-to-road interface, a tubeless tire will go soft but still afford pneumatic grip long before it loses all air pressure (in most cases) and is far safer for that fact.
That is entirely beside the fact that it is easier to control a bike with a flat on the rear than to control a bike with a flat on the front. The ;oint was that you shouldn't put a repaired tire on the front to reduce wear. You should put a repaired tire on the rear and keen your best tire on the front.

Old 09-28-22, 07:08 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

That is entirely beside the fact that it is easier to control a bike with a flat on the rear than to control a bike with a flat on the front. The ;oint was that you shouldn't put a repaired tire on the front to reduce wear. You should put a repaired tire on the rear and keen your best tire on the front.
No, it’s precisely the point; a slow leak is nowhere near as dangerous as sudden, complete loss of air. No one— not the OP, not me, not even you, up to this outlandish moment— has been talking about reducing wear. The serious discussion is about mitigating the risk of that cut reopening.

Last edited by chaadster; 09-28-22 at 07:12 PM.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 09-28-22, 07:12 PM
bbbean 

No, it’s precisely the point; a slow leak is nowhere near as dangerous as sudden, complete loss of air. No one— not the OP, not me— is talking about reducing wear. The serious discussion is about mitigating the risk of that cut reopening.
My point is simple: The advice to move a repaired tire from the rear to the front is increasing the risk of loss of control. You want your best tire in the front. This is true regardless of type of tire, and is true regardless of the type of flat. It is more important to maintain control of your front wheel than it is to control your rear wheel.

Old 09-28-22, 07:20 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

My point is simple: The advice to move a repaired tire from the rear to the front is increasing the risk of loss of control. You want your best tire in the front. This is true regardless of type of tire, and is true regardless of the type of flat. It is more important to maintain control of your front wheel than it is to control your rear wheel.
Your point is grossly oversimplified and not really relevant to tubeless tire performance, because— and I’m sorry to have to keep repeating myself here— tubeless tires do not have the same risk of loss of control as tubed or tubular tires because tubeless tires do not lose pressure, in most cases, in the rapid manner a tubed or tubular tire does.

In fact, I’d wager most front tubeless punctures do not even cause the rider to stop, much less result in catastrophe such as loss of control.
Old 09-28-22, 07:43 PM
bbbean 

Your point is grossly oversimplified and not really relevant to tubeless tire performance, because— and I’m sorry to have to keep repeating myself here— tubeless tires do not have the same risk of loss of control as tubed or tubular tires because tubeless tires do not lose pressure, in most cases, in the rapid manner a tubed or tubular tire does.

In fact, I’d wager most front tubeless punctures do not even cause the rider to stop, much less result in catastrophe such as loss of control.
My point was in response to advice you offered: Quote:

"Originally Posted by chaadster View Post
if workable, moving it to the front would further mitigate running risk and avoid immediate replacement."

That is bad advice.

Have a great day.

Old 09-28-22, 07:48 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

My point was in response to advice you offered: Quote:

"Originally Posted by chaadster View Post
if workable, moving it to the front would further mitigate running risk and avoid immediate replacement."

That is bad advice.

Have a great day.
No, it’s fine advice…it’s correct advice. The front has a lower risk of puncture than the rear tire, typically, and— again, repeating myself here— the concern of the OP was risk of the cut reopening.

In your world, where the performance characteristics of tubeless tires are apparently unknown, I can understand how you’d think it was bad advice, however, iit is sound advice when properly understood.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 09-28-22, 07:56 PM
bbbean 

No, it’s fine advice…it’s correct advice..
Your advice is unsafe. Put your best tire on the front.

Have a great day.

Old 09-28-22, 09:04 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Your advice is unsafe. Put your best tire on the front.

Have a great day.
I’m sorry you don’t understand the issues, but I also seems clear that you don’t want to.
Old 09-29-22, 06:01 AM
bbbean 

I’m sorry you don’t understand the issues, but I also seems clear that you don’t want to.
Have a great day!

Old 09-29-22, 01:30 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Says the guy who thinks removing 1 tire is more effort than removing 2 tires.
Likes For mstateglfr: