Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Barn Find - Early '70's red Masi w full Campy Nuovo Record

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Barn Find - Early '70's red Masi w full Campy Nuovo Record

Old 09-16-22, 08:09 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked 2,930 Times in 1,861 Posts
Evaporust, some barkeeps friend and some polishing compound will have that thing shiny and new!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 09-18-22, 01:57 AM
Guerc 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 36 Posts
I took it to my friend John's for test disassembly and inspection.
The frame is as of September 1972, so... (counts on fingers).... wow, 50 years old this month.
The italian chrome is in poor shape, but I bet I can at least polish out the rust.

There was a colony of spiders living in the steering tube. These were carefully kept, will be fed, and maintained as part of the bike's provenance. I've named the largest "Faliero the Tailor"

Last edited by Guerc; 09-18-22 at 07:48 AM.
Likes For Guerc:
Old 09-18-22, 02:03 AM
Guerc 

Disassembled the BB and HS. Using the proper tools (Campy BB spanner and Hozan fixed cup remover) everything came out flawlessly. You can tell the bike was properly assembled as the threads were chased and BB shell was faced, among many other details.

The BB grease is different than that of the HS (translucent green, vs. off-white paste), so I think the BB was serviced once.

Given the condition and clues around the bike, I think it was ridden during the 1970s. There are normal chain marks on chainstay, and indication of a dropped chain here and there. I think it was likely sent for a good tuneup in the 1980's: New Weinmann brake hoods, serviced BB, a clincher wheelset with upgraded 6spd Ultra freewheel (still 120mm spacing), new tires. The tubulars were probably a real hassle. TBar tape was updated - It is black, with some of the original light grey still peeking through under brake hoods. I think the bike sat there since then: The tires are dry rotted but still unworn.

Last edited by Guerc; 09-18-22 at 09:27 AM.
Likes For Guerc:
Old 09-18-22, 09:44 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 2,816 Times in 1,716 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Its too bad bike and component manufacturers were too cheap to use quality chrome plating or better yet stainless steel
It’s also too bad that people don’t care enough about their bikes to properly maintain and take care of them.
Old 09-18-22, 10:15 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
It’s also too bad that people don’t care enough about their bikes to properly maintain and take care of them.
Very true but surprisingly to lots of people a bike is just….well a bike. Who knows the history of this. Perhaps someone passed away and family member setting the estate just put in the shed with the lawnmower and other outdoor stuff from the estate. Then it was forgotten.

We used to watch an old guy ride by the shop almost every day on an old Teladyne, this was ‘91ish. One rainy day he comes with a rear flat. We had a hard time explaining the new tire had to be glued on. His doctor told him cycling was good exercise and friend gave him an “old bike” no one used. He had no clue how rare the bike was nor that it had tubular rear and for some reason clincher front. It was just an exercise bike to him.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 09-18-22, 10:22 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by Guerc
...everything works.

WOW! - Double WOW!!!

This is going to be fun, Fun, FUN...
Old 09-18-22, 10:49 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 647 Posts
My Masi that my parents picked up for me in Milan is exactly the same age as yours. My steerer says 9 - 72 too. I want to know what the letter initial is in front of the frame size on the down tube socket. As I understand it that letter is a code for where it was made. I have never been able to confirm that. There is a chance that yours was built by Mario Confente. After he came to the States to make Masis, he went out on his own and the frames he made are the most collectable bicycles in C&V world. Mine is a V. As in V58.

If you go to Bob Hovey's site, you can see pictures my parents took of picking up the bicycle for me in Milan. That one got stolen out of their rental car in Italy and Faliero sent me a September one. The cost was $350 in 1972.

I'm still recommending you ask the estate where you got it if there is a spare set of tubular wheels hanging around. It is possible the original owner keep them. I believe mine had Martano rims. Also mine came with a Silca pump painted to match. In that era they put the frame fitting pump (no pump peg needed) along the seat tube because 2 sets of water bottle mounts were not used in 1972. It is possible that might be there too.
Old 09-18-22, 11:29 AM
Guerc 

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
I'm still recommending you ask the estate where you got it if there is a spare set of tubular wheels hanging around. It is possible the original owner keep them. I believe mine had Martano rims. Also mine came with a Silca pump painted to match. In that era they put the frame fitting pump (no pump peg needed) along the seat tube because 2 sets of water bottle mounts were not used in 1972. It is possible that might be there too.
It makes sense but probably I'm not going to be successful. I found it down the CA coast from me (probably explains the flash rust) inland from Santa Cruz / Monterey. It was less of an estate sale and more of a garage sale. My wife pulled me in for the furniture on display when I spotted the bike. Everything of value was out on the lawn, and it looked like the family just wanted to clean out the house and donate the rest. I think perhaps the owner passed away a while back, then his spouse passed on recently, since there was a lot of cooking / canning / quilting stuff but not a lot of "men's" stuff left. It is sad what we leave behind.

There was some aviation stuff (manuals, books, etc), but nothing else cycling related. I'm pretty sure I asked for anything else, but I also just wanted to get out of there before someone else saw what it was. I was on a trip with with my wife, and I had to drop the rear seats to fit it on top of our luggage. She humored (for a while) my excited rambling about "historically important" and "Mario Confente came to America to build this bike" and the plotline of Breaking Away. We then had a long drive home pretty much in silence.

I've seen your pictures on Brian Hovey's site - such great memorabilia. He has a great serial number decoder on the site too. From that, and from inspecting the bike, I think it is a "typical" Masi of the day. There is no evidence Mario Confente ever touched it (would have 4 vent holes instead of 1, Mario's "C" mark stamped in the steel, etc). The Serial number has an alphanumeric code and letters, which I've also heard indicates whether it was built in-house or subcontracted.

Last edited by Guerc; 09-18-22 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-18-22, 02:05 PM
Guerc 

Nuovo Record components

The Campy NR components cleaned up nicely! I let some of the small steel bits (screws, nuts, etc) soak overnight in household vinegar, to soften the surface rust that then easily rubbed off with Lucas metal polish.

I don’t want to over restore the parts so just some hand rubbing with a soft rag. I resisted the urge to pull out the Dremel and polishing tools.

Likes For Guerc:
Old 09-18-22, 05:08 PM
Guerc 

Cleaned up, a round of rubbing compound, and coat of turtle wax to protect from the elements

Old 09-18-22, 09:58 PM
Lord Donnington

Bikes: 1980 Bianchi Super Leggera, 1980 Raleigh Professional, 1980 Olmo Competition, 1975 Colnago Super, 1987 Davidson Explorer, 1988 Schwinn Circuit, 1976 Masi Gran Criterium

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Great find!

I once got to clean up and bring back a Carlsbad Masi and it was so enjoyable. Just did it again with another Carlsbad GC and had just as much fun. If you use 0000 steel wool on the top tube brake cable guides you can knock off the rust and polish up the chrome. Great job bringing it back to life. What a dream find. I used to go to garage sales in the San Fernando valley hoping to find what you did: a Masi. Looks like it got the KMC chain at the same time as the Ultra freewheel. Richard Sachs thought the V was a batch code indicator and not a location of where it was built indicator. Simon or Alberto should know for sure. Have fun!

[/QUOTE]
QUOTE=Guerc;22651873]Cleaned up, a round of rubbing compound, and coat of turtle wax to protect from the elements

I
Old 09-19-22, 07:56 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 490 Posts
Magnifico!

We love when one of us is rewarded and then rewards the community showing a classic revival.
Would love to see a pic or vid of this beautiful machine riding again.
Old 09-19-22, 08:56 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Originally Posted by Lord Donnington
I once got to clean up and bring back a Carlsbad Masi and it was so enjoyable. Just did it again with another Carlsbad GC and had just as much fun. If you use 0000 steel wool on the top tube brake cable guides you can knock off the rust and polish up the chrome. Great job bringing it back to life. What a dream find. I used to go to garage sales in the San Fernando valley hoping to find what you did: a Masi. Looks like it got the KMC chain at the same time as the Ultra freewheel. Richard Sachs thought the V was a batch code indicator and not a location of where it was built indicator. Simon or Alberto should know for sure. Have fun!

QUOTE=Guerc;22651873]Cleaned up, a round of rubbing compound, and coat of turtle wax to protect from the elements

I[/QUOTE]

V at this time was for Verona. There was one contract builder there at the time.
bikes after 1973 with a V would be made by someone else.
Likes For repechage:
Old 09-20-22, 11:33 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
I really appreciate the look.....the only think I would try to mitigate would be the chrome on the fork, not a re-chrome but maybe a strip of the chrome and a good buff of the steel with an application of clear.
It looks like the rest of the chrome bits will clean with tinfoil and water......I would not use steel wool no matter what others may say, regardless of the type used it will leave micro scratches.
I have had to re-chrome a few parts for my cars that were "lovingly" polished by their previous owners with 0000 and finer steel wool.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Last edited by xiaoman1; 09-20-22 at 11:37 AM.
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 09-20-22, 01:10 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,835 Times in 1,109 Posts
Ben, and Guerc,
It would be a shame to remove the patina paint on the fork to repair the chrome. I have had a couple of forks re-plated here in Southern Indiana and the cost is about $100 but the paint will have to removed. I might suggest using a bit of oxalic acid to the rust and as Ben recommends clear coat the bare steel. A great find! Smiles, MH
Edit: too bad you are going to sell it, but if it won't fit you perhaps a new owner will fit better.

Last edited by Mad Honk; 09-21-22 at 08:49 PM.
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 09-20-22, 02:49 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked 2,930 Times in 1,861 Posts
You can also use brass wool instead of steel wool and bar keeps friend, which is a lower dose of OA.

or soak the crown in evaporust then see what is under there. Won’t harm the paint.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 09-20-22, 07:48 PM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Ben, and Guerc,
It would be a shame to remove the patina paint on the fork to repair the chrome. I have had a couple of forks re-plated here in Southern Indiana and the cost is about $100 but the paint will have to removed. I might suggest using a bit of oxalic acid to the trust and as Ben recommends clear coat the bare steel. A great find! Smiles, MH
Edit: too bad you are going to sell it, but if it won't fit you perhaps a new owner will fit better.
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
You can also use brass wool instead of steel wool and bar keeps friend, which is a lower dose of OA.

or soak the crown in evaporust then see what is under there. Won’t harm the paint.
Dave,
Correct, I would not ruin the paint on a re chrome, my recommendation was to just remove what chrome was remaining and leave the paint alone. Then highly polish the Bare Steel and give it a good clear coat, in my estimation the dull steel would be more in keeping with the overall patina on the bike.
BTW, unless the op needs the money, I would try to trade someone that has a Masi that is too small for them.

Dull but nice IMO and can be polished to a higher sheen...not Charlie!

Best, Ben

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 09-20-22, 07:54 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
I might suggest using a bit of oxalic acid
Agreed. OA bath the crown and steerer upside down. Only dunk to the bottom of the crown to avoid discoloring the paint.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 09-20-22, 09:57 PM
xiaoman1 

I would like to see what OA will do.....I think it will leave what little chrome is there in tact but IMO not bring back the sheen that has be lost due to de-chroming due to rust.
Best, Ben

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 09-21-22, 09:19 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
WOW! That is 9/72 , same as the ItalVega I posted. They can celebrate their B-Day this month. One half a century and still going strong. I have been out of town for a few days so just now catching up. I agree with Ben about getting as much of the crusty rust off the fork plates even if to leave it exposed. A little clear over it and extra care will keep the rust from becoming terminal . Some of the chromed parts of mine are just steel now as when I removed the rust the chrome did not survive. I just keep the bike clean and if. It gets wet I clean it right away and put a bit of wax on it. I finished the bike in 2017 or so and the rust is not getting any worse now.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 10-09-22, 11:50 PM
Guerc 

Spent a few weekends disassembling / cleaning / reassembling. It isn't perfect but looks much better.

Last edited by Guerc; 10-09-22 at 11:53 PM.
Likes For Guerc:
Old 10-09-22, 11:56 PM
Guerc 

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
I would like to see what OA will do.....I think it will leave what little chrome is there in tact but IMO not bring back the sheen that has be lost due to de-chroming due to rust.
Best, Ben
Barkeepers Friend (Oxalic Acid) did wonders, along with some soap and elbow grease.
After.. and before

Old 10-10-22, 12:01 AM
Guerc 

The bottom bracket had flaking paint and rust. It was well-known crappy italian paint, probably poorly prepped.
Once the lug was exposed to harsh California winters (LOL) it developed surface rust that can be cleaned off.
I soaked the BB lug in Oxalic acid then used a soft brass brush to clean off surface rust. I could have done much more, but didn't want to damage any paint that wasn't already damaged. I coated it with WD40 for rust protection.

Last edited by Guerc; 10-10-22 at 12:09 AM.
Likes For Guerc:
Old 10-10-22, 06:25 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
Nice job, it actually looks pretty good . The areas that are rusty and sans paint are just scars provided care is taken that the exposed metal is protected from the elements. Great work! The rear hub looks like it could be problematic if the bike is ridden too aggressively.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 10-10-22, 10:37 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Actually what I find most interesting is the "crosshairs" downtube graphic with All white fill typography.

I think it could use a second dose of rust remover. That front brake adjuster should come out more clean I think.

italian paint in the early 1970's was actually pretty good. It has been 50 years.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.