Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1 picture of the most beautiful paint/powdercoat job you've ever seen or had.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1 picture of the most beautiful paint/powdercoat job you've ever seen or had.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-22, 10:52 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
I don't have a picture of it- but my first "vintage" Trek was a 1984 420. I assume it was Imron- but the paint looked so deep. I remember looking at it thinking I could almost put my finger into it. My 85 620 is similar- but not as dramatic.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 12-27-22, 09:06 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Friends,

I'm looking for finish ideas for a potential project. It is still a ways off, but I'm interested in finding a really beautiful color that is going to pop. Could be paint or powdercoat, 1 tone or multi, factory or custom job. Sky's the limit. What is 'that one' incredible finish on a frame you've never been able to forget? I'm including the one on here I haven't been able to forget, except that I think I'm wanting a different color.

done by 'The Powdercoat Man' in Maple Grove, MN

Thanks in advance!
Similar perspective. Also illustrates why i prefer paint over powder
Likes For martl:
Old 12-27-22, 11:28 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
What can I say? I'm a sucker for basic blue. Ed Litton did the painting. The fork was already chrome.
Old 12-27-22, 12:12 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
mackgoo I'm not sure what's going on here but I like it. Is that a rack for organizing your lawn N garden tools?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-27-22, 10:40 PM
uncleivan 

Bikes: '92 MX Leader, 84 Colnago Mexico, 85 Recherche, 86 Panasonic ATB Pro, 88 Roberts, 80 moser... ect

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 67 Posts
Likes For uncleivan:
Old 12-28-22, 05:44 PM
75lechamp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane LeChampion (silver lilac), 1974 Motobecane Grand Jubile (red/black); 1975 Motobecane Team Champion (orange); 1982 Pinarello Professional (Exorcist Green); 1974 Raleigh Professional MkIV mink blue, 1974 Motobecane Grand Record blk/red

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 172 Posts
AdventureManCO I just got this one back from my painter here in the Denver area yesterday .... he does a fantastic job. To me, there is not much better than a well executed candy apple type color (this is his interpretation of Schwinn Flamboyant Red).....

Likes For 75lechamp:
Old 12-29-22, 12:55 AM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by 75lechamp
AdventureManCO I just got this one back from my painter here in the Denver area yesterday .... he does a fantastic job. To me, there is not much better than a well executed candy apple type color (this is his interpretation of Schwinn Flamboyant Red).....
That's great work!
Old 12-29-22, 10:11 PM
Guerc 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Bingo, and my contribution.
I see your Strawberry and raise you with mine.

1974 Strawberry “hill climb and time trial” bike, refinished as a restomod with powdercoat in original “Dalmatian Blue”.

The geometry is extremely tight. It’s like a track bike with a derailleur.

Last edited by Guerc; 12-29-22 at 10:17 PM.
Likes For Guerc:
Old 12-29-22, 11:04 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Guerc
I see your Strawberry and raise you with mine.

1974 Strawberry “hill climb and time trial” bike, refinished as a restomod with powdercoat in original “Dalmatian Blue”.

The geometry is extremely tight. It’s like a track bike with a derailleur.
Nice find, score, etc.

Well I'm glad you got yourself a Strawberry and there's no one more happy about that than me, but a reboot however cool with a ding and CF fork is a bit different than a 2019 full custom dream build.

Oh and it also rides like a dream, as you would expect.

Sorry but I don't see a raise on the table.

Last edited by merziac; 12-30-22 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-30-22, 02:07 PM
Guerc 

Nice find, score, etc.

Well I'm glad you got yourself a Strawberry and there's no one more happy about that than me, but a reboot however cool with a ding and CF fork is a bit different than a 2019 full custom dream build.

Sorry but I don't see a raise on the table.
Yours is a beautiful Strawberry and I’m sure it is a fabulous ride. Congratulations and I wish you many miles on it.

However, I think my Fragola trumps yours, ding and all. You see, this is C&V, and there are specific house rules. A Strawberry with history, panache, and patina beats one without.

1. Mine was built in ‘74, just the 3rd year of operations, not a modern continuation. Original owner bought it at the Portland shop and rode it home to SF.

2. Mine was built by two legends of American frame building, not just one. Andy Newlands did the machine work and Mark DiNucci brazed it up. Mark since left to design the Allez, Stumpjumper, and Specialized’s ‘80s lineup. (Per authentication email from Andy).

3. I have the original fork but I don’t trust it… Newlands filed the lug shoulders away to paper thin. At one place on the shoulder, he filed right through the lug. I think that adds a few points to the story.

Mine comes with stories from the original owner. It was raced, wrecked, raced some more, turned into a SF messenger bike, raced again, and finally put away for two decades before being revived under my watch. That top tube ding is a witness to the bike’s history.

Both are beautiful bikes. Yours would certainly beat mine on any other forum but C&V. I submit that mine is at least an equal. Enjoy yours and I wish you many miles and tailwinds.

Brazing and lugs were filed smooth… Here it even went right through the lug.

Custom dropouts made of thin plate steel, then drilliumed. Vertical dropouts were pretty advanced for 1974.

Last edited by Guerc; 12-30-22 at 02:31 PM.
Likes For Guerc:
Old 12-30-22, 04:03 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Yours is a beautiful Strawberry and I’m sure it is a fabulous ride. Congratulations and I wish you many miles on it.

However, I think my Fragola trumps yours, ding and all. You see, this is C&V, and there are specific house rules. A Strawberry with history, panache, and patina beats one without.

1. Mine was built in ‘74, just the 3rd year of operations, not a modern continuation. Original owner bought it at the Portland shop and rode it home to SF.

2. Mine was built by two legends of American frame building, not just one. Andy Newlands did the machine work and Mark DiNucci brazed it up. Mark since left to design the Allez, Stumpjumper, and Specialized’s ‘80s lineup. (Per authentication email from Andy).

3. I have the original fork but I don’t trust it… Newlands filed the lug shoulders away to paper thin. At one place on the shoulder, he filed right through the lug. I think that adds a few points to the story.

Mine comes with stories from the original owner. It was raced, wrecked, raced some more, turned into a SF messenger bike, raced again, and finally put away for two decades before being revived under my watch. That top tube ding is a witness to the bike’s history.

Both are beautiful bikes. Yours would certainly beat mine on any other forum but C&V. I submit that mine is at least an equal. Enjoy yours and I wish you many miles and tailwinds.

Brazing and lugs were filed smooth… Here it even went right through the lug.

Custom dropouts made of thin plate steel, then drilliumed. Vertical dropouts were pretty advanced for 1974.
Tx, of course fully agree and honestly like yours just as much as well.

Well maybe so, not sure how your restomod trumps mine, all steel, fully lugged with Andy's gorgeous crowns front and rear, quill stem and plenty of C+V accoutrement's including chrome steel SP and Brooks clamp to go with the chrome rail B-17.

It was extremely well received here when I built it, not one single detractor.

The "rules" you cite are guidelines at best, we all mostly understand they can be skewed however we decide at any given time.

I know and agree with all your Strawberry lore as I cite it often as well as what I know of Merz and Gordon when he was near here, and hung out as well.

I have 3 other Strawberry's with 2 that are from early on that Mark did and also an earlier bike built by Micheal Bornstien from Ames Iowa when he worked for Andy here.

And while no stories from the road, both of the DiNucci built ones have had a long hard ride, one repaired at least 2 or 3 times, was bent when I got it and straightened, the other may not have been ridden a million miles but came to me from New Orleans where it has had a rough time stewing it its own juices for quite awhile.

The 3rd Strawberry is after Mark left, 1 of the Innocenti's and way too small, might be your size.

None of these are presentable or proper for this thread atmo.

Anyway, not disagreeing with any of your thoughts aside from the "trump", with 5 Merz's, 4/5 Strawberry's, 4 Allez's, 5 Stumpy's and a Gordon from when he was in Eugene, I have the PDX framebuilding epicenter with the Big S connection well in hand.
Old 12-30-22, 05:18 PM
Guerc 

Tx, of course fully agree and honestly like yours just as much as well.

Anyway, not disagreeing with any of your thoughts aside from the "trump", with 5 Merz's, 4/5 Strawberry's, 4 Allez's, 5 Stumpy's and a Gordon from when he was in Eugene, I have the PDX framebuilding epicenter with the Big S connection well in hand.
You have an enviable stable of bikes. A good collection should have a central theme, as do your single-origin PDX bikes.

Rather than a curated collection, I have a mishmash of bikes that suit my fancy. I am geographically agnostic when sourcing the origin of my bikes. Please check out my most recent project, a ‘94 Marinoni EL-OS refinished in powder coat and new graphics, set up with gears for the 5,300 foot hill climb behind it.

I hope this is a fun sideline to an otherwise enjoyable thread. I suggest we declare a draw and go back to admiring some epic paint jobs, presented in just a single picture.

Best wishes, and here’s to many more miles in 2023!

Last edited by Guerc; 12-30-22 at 06:06 PM.
Likes For Guerc:
Old 12-30-22, 05:36 PM
merziac

You have an enviable stable of PDX-sourced bikes. I am geographically agnostic when sourcing the origin of my bikes. As a gesture of goodwill, please take a look at my most recent project, a ‘94 Marinoni EL-OS refinished in powder coat and new graphics, set up with gears for the 5,300 foot hill climb behind it.

I hope this is a fun sideline to an otherwise enjoyable thread. I suggest we declare a draw and go back to admiring some epic paint jobs, presented in just a single picture.

Best wishes, and here’s to many more miles in 2023!

I'm as big a fan of the PDX triad as there is I think.

That being said I have plenty of other various and sundry wide ranging bikes as well, too many by some accounts.

Another fantastic example AND another excellent paint source as well, also a huge Marinoni fan, have a couple of these languishing too.
Old 12-31-22, 07:53 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by 75lechamp

You know...I originally created this thread, giving a somewhat biased nod toward powdercoating. But, the 'project' I'm referencing is indeed a Paramount. Like this one. And, the guy who painted this is also a local to me.

Hmmm...

It really begs the important question...would I be stoopid not to?
Old 01-01-23, 07:03 PM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
How about one paint and one powdercoat?

My best paint job is the Stella that I had painted by Jeff Bock.

For powder coat, I've got my Motobecane Grand Jubilé by Groody Bros.

Who did the pin striping on this Grand Jubilee?
Old 01-01-23, 07:36 PM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 65 Posts

I might have shown this before, but it's my custom built Veloce that I had built for me in around 1986 by John Stinsman in Allentown, PA. Paint job fades from Dark Rose Metallic at the top to Light Rose Metallic at the bottom'

Last edited by motogeek; 01-01-23 at 07:40 PM.
Likes For motogeek:
Old 01-02-23, 12:14 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by motogeek
Who did the pin striping on this Grand Jubilee?
The lug lining was done my Groody Bros. Any other lines on the frame are decals.