Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

anything particular wearing cycling tights?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-15, 02:05 PM
bikecommuter13

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have been wearing pants for cycling ever since. I am not into shorts. So I think it will be more natural for me to transition to cycling tights, right? Do I just wear the tights without anything else? Or do I wear a pair of under pants, and then the tights?
Old 06-26-15, 02:11 PM
Lanceoldstrong
Family, Health, Cycling

Bikes: Roubaix S-Works, Univega Gran Turismo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecommuter13
...Do I just wear the tights without anything else? ...
Yup, good tights have a, lightly padded, and seamless chamois in them.

Go with a chamois and no underwear a time or two, and the comfort will win you over for life.
Old 06-26-15, 02:13 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I have been wearing pants for cycling ever since. I am not into shorts. So I think it will be more natural for me to transition to cycling tights, right? Do I just wear the tights without anything else? Or do I wear a pair of under pants, and then the tights?
Cycling shorts and tights are intended to be used without underwear.

Tights aren't the only option even if you don't like shorts. You can also wear cycling specific underwear and whatever you want on top of that.

Plenty of people do fine without any cycling specific clothing at all. It depends on how far/how difficult the commute is, how hard you want to work, and personal preference. And to a certain extent anatomy. Some people are perfectly comfortable riding long distances at high levels of effort while wearing regular clothes. I am not one of those people.

Personally I wouldn't enjoy wearing tights in warm weather but it sounds like you want your legs covered whether it's with tights or something else.

Last edited by tjspiel; 06-26-15 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-26-15, 02:46 PM
bikecommuter13

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
Plenty of people do fine without any cycling specific clothing at all. It depends on how far/how difficult the commute is, how hard you want to work, and personal preference. And to a certain extent anatomy. Some people are perfectly comfortable riding long distances at high levels of effort while wearing regular clothes. I am not one of those people.
I have never worn any cycling specific clothes in my life. Just thought I could explore a little bit to see what I am missing.

Personally I wouldn't enjoy wearing tights in warm weather but it sounds like you want your legs covered whether it's with tights or something else.
I have never been a fan of shorts, not even regular shorts. My legs get chill easily. When I sweat on my legs, maybe I'll give shorts a try.
Old 06-26-15, 02:47 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I only wear tights once the temperature gets below 40F/4C. I just wear generic running tights over bibs. They're significantly cheaper than cycling specific tights and you can use them for running/skiing/whatever.
Old 06-26-15, 02:49 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Depends on how bold you're feeling
Old 06-26-15, 03:26 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
For general riding I wear jeans or slacks or whatever my destination occasion calls for and this works fine for 20, 30, or 80 miles in a day.

For fitness rides I wear bib shorts if it's above about 65f, bib tights between 40f & 65f, and something warmer below 40f (like a house with a TACX trainer inside). Some people will wear no-chamois tights over shorts but I've never been comfortable with that. Much to my wallets chagrin I once tried Assos and have never looked back. When I was racing I got chewed out by my coach one day for wearing shorts when it was 55f. He drilled in to me the importance of muscle warmth and that anything below 65f was not shorts weather. I guess he's still having an impact on me :-)

Last edited by CrankyOne; 06-26-15 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-26-15, 03:47 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
My tights are great to wear when it's cold enough out, but it hasn't been that cold here for months.
Old 06-26-15, 05:54 PM
Giant Doofus

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I only wear tights once the temperature gets below 40F/4C. I just wear generic running tights over bibs. They're significantly cheaper than cycling specific tights and you can use them for running/skiing/whatever.
Do you have a particular place where you get your running tights or a brand you recommend?
Old 06-26-15, 06:57 PM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
These are on sale for 4th of July - I'll be picking up a pair or two for cold-weather use myself. The main things that appeal to me - note I don't mention speed as I'm just going to use them for commuting to work, not racing, and I don't have the right bike for that anyway:

- Keeps legs warm (duh)
- Vents excess heat
- Wicks away sweat
- Dries fast
- Reflective stripe
- On sale (relatively cheap)

Novara Tempest Bike Tights - Men's - REI.com

My coworker really likes his Gore pants but they cost a hell of a lot more. He claims he only has to wash it once every few weeks because of its wicking/quick-drying. Otherwise I'll follow his lead and use the bike tights to commute, change to other clothes for work, change back to the tights to commute home. The rest of my commute attire (shirt, jacket, socks, shoes) will be along similar lines (quick drying, wicks sweat, etc.).

Last edited by GovernorSilver; 06-26-15 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-26-15, 07:08 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Giant Doofus
Do you have a particular place where you get your running tights or a brand you recommend?
Not really. Like I said, they are just generic tights. You can get them at any general sports store like Big 5, Dick's, Sports Authority, etc. or even Target, Kohl's, or whatever.
Old 06-26-15, 07:37 PM
Giant Doofus

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Not really. Like I said, they are just generic tights. You can get them at any general sports store like Big 5, Dick's, Sports Authority, etc. or even Target, Kohl's, or whatever.
Thanks. I've been thinking about getting tights for cold weather but had noticed the cycling tights are pretty pricey. Being able to pull running tights over cycling shorts is a great idea.
Old 06-26-15, 11:16 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
For general riding I wear jeans or slacks or whatever my destination occasion calls for and this works fine for 20, 30, or 80 miles in a day.

For fitness rides I wear bib shorts if it's above about 65f, bib tights between 40f & 65f, and something warmer below 40f (like a house with a TACX trainer inside). Some people will wear no-chamois tights over shorts but I've never been comfortable with that. Much to my wallets chagrin I once tried Assos and have never looked back. When I was racing I got chewed out by my coach one day for wearing shorts when it was 55f. He drilled in to me the importance of muscle warmth and that anything below 65f was not shorts weather. I guess he's still having an impact on me :-)
Jeans on an 80 mile ride? Not no, but hell no. That is not comfortable at all. I did the whole jeans on an 8.5 mile ride and it was really uncomfortable.
Old 06-26-15, 11:33 PM
bikecommuter13

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
That is not comfortable at all. I did the whole jeans on an 8.5 mile ride and it was really uncomfortable.
It's probably just me, Jeans are not comfortable even not biking. But I do see a lot of people biking in Jeans. A matter of preference.
Old 06-27-15, 06:34 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Jeans on an 80 mile ride? Not no, but hell no. That is not comfortable at all. I did the whole jeans on an 8.5 mile ride and it was really uncomfortable.
I wouldn't do it for an 80 mile training ride at 25 mph but for riding hear and there throughout the day on a Dutch bike it works quite well.
Old 06-27-15, 08:15 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Cycling shorts and tights are intended to be used without underwear.
Do you wash cycling shorts/tights frequently enough in order to change to clean clothes in contact with private areas every day?Do you have a drawer full of these clothes? Or (hate to think of it) do commando cyclists wear the same funky smelling shorts/tights for days on end?

Me? I change underwear everyday and wash it all when I have a basket full of laundry to throw in the washer. On hot days I change out of sweaty, smelly underwear after arriving at destination, and wear clean underwear for the ride home where I put on clean underwear again. Seems more hygienic, less funky then wearing the same sweat absorbing clothes next to my private areas for numerous rides in succession.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 06-27-15 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-27-15, 08:35 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I don't even own jeans anymore. I find them uncomfortable for pretty much any activity, even if it's just walking around.
Old 06-27-15, 08:57 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Originally Posted by GovernorSilver
These are on sale for 4th of July - I'll be picking up a pair or two for cold-weather use myself. The main things that appeal to me - note I don't mention speed as I'm just going to use them for commuting to work, not racing, and I don't have the right bike for that anyway:

- Keeps legs warm (duh)
- Vents excess heat
- Wicks away sweat
- Dries fast
- Reflective stripe
- On sale (relatively cheap)

Novara Tempest Bike Tights - Men's - REI.com

My coworker really likes his Gore pants but they cost a hell of a lot more. He claims he only has to wash it once every few weeks because of its wicking/quick-drying. Otherwise I'll follow his lead and use the bike tights to commute, change to other clothes for work, change back to the tights to commute home. The rest of my commute attire (shirt, jacket, socks, shoes) will be along similar lines (quick drying, wicks sweat, etc.).
I have an older pair of Novara bike tights, and they're my favorite. I've got long legs, and these are even a little long for me - great for keeping that lower leg that usually gets cold warm. That's a great price for them too, if your hesitating buying a second pair I'd say go for it.
Old 06-27-15, 04:30 PM
tjspiel

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Do you wash cycling shorts/tights frequently enough in order to change to clean clothes in contact with private areas every day?Do you have a drawer full of these clothes? Or (hate to think of it) do commando cyclists wear the same funky smelling shorts/tights for days on end?

Me? I change underwear everyday and wash it all when I have a basket full of laundry to throw in the washer. On hot days I change out of sweaty, smelly underwear after arriving at destination, and wear clean underwear for the ride home where I put on clean underwear again. Seems more hygienic, less funky then wearing the same sweat absorbing clothes next to my private areas for numerous rides in succession.
I don't wear cycling shorts on every ride. I wear them when I expect to be working pretty hard. When I get to the office I shower and change into work clothes. I put the same shorts back on for the way home along with whatever shirt I was sweating in on the way in. Neither the shirt nor the shorts are "sweat absorbing". I will be sweating again before I'm halfway home.

When I get home I'll take a shower and change again. Sometimes I'll stop at the lake for a quick dip. When I was doing triathlons, I'd swim some laps in the morning before heading the rest of the way into work. I still wear tri-shorts more often than traditional bikes shorts. They have a minimal chamois and dry really fast.
Old 06-27-15, 06:09 PM
GovernorSilver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's probably just me, Jeans are not comfortable even not biking. But I do see a lot of people biking in Jeans. A matter of preference.
For short rides like going for groceries (under 2 miles each way for me), I find jeans ok, even without padding.

For commuting purposes, the problem with jeans is that once they get wet, they stay wet for a long time, which would be a problem once temperatures here get back down to 32 or below. That's why i look for clothes and footwear that can dry fast.

Last edited by GovernorSilver; 06-27-15 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-27-15, 06:10 PM
GovernorSilver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by no motor?
I have an older pair of Novara bike tights, and they're my favorite. I've got long legs, and these are even a little long for me - great for keeping that lower leg that usually gets cold warm. That's a great price for them too, if your hesitating buying a second pair I'd say go for it.
Cool. I was bummed that the local REI didn't have any in stock for me to try, but I'll order a pair online for fall/mild winter use and a pair of the thermal version for winter use.

Last edited by GovernorSilver; 06-27-15 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-27-15, 06:28 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
...... I am not into shorts. So I think it will be more natural for me to transition to cycling tights, right? ....
I never owned a pair of shorts until I was in my 50's. Even then I was no fan of bare legs and visible socks. So I rarely ever wore shorts. I even wore long pants (khakis) when I played golf.

But... when I decided I wanted to take up cycling.... I figured in for a penny in for a pound. I bought the padded short tights, the jersey, helmet (wife demanded the helmet), gloves, socks, shoes, glasses.... the whole "kit". I never looked back and have no regrets! I have bunches of cycling clothing now... and it is a lot of what I wear daily (I am retired).

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 06-27-15 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-28-15, 08:01 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Originally Posted by GovernorSilver
Cool. I was bummed that the local REI didn't have any in stock for me to try, but I'll order a pair online for fall/mild winter use and a pair of the thermal version for winter use.
One thing I found with wearing tights is that they don't cause the same reactions as bike shorts do. My coworkers are mainly women, and they gave me a lot of grief about wearing bike shorts to work when I talked about riding to work. I never did that (I usually don't), but they never seemed to notice when I wear tights.
Old 06-28-15, 08:10 PM
GovernorSilver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by no motor?
One thing I found with wearing tights is that they don't cause the same reactions as bike shorts do. My coworkers are mainly women, and they gave me a lot of grief about wearing bike shorts to work when I talked about riding to work. I never did that (I usually don't), but they never seemed to notice when I wear tights.
At my workplace, we are lucky to have a secured bike parking room, which is quite close to the shower/locker room area, so it's easy for us to escape the notice of our colleagues regarding what we wear while commuting. One of my coworkers said she'd never seen my other coworker in his "just-arrived" state (face dripping with sweat, wearing his commuting gear) until she started commuting by bike herself and ran into him in the bike room, despite working together for like 7 years or so.

Today was my first ride with the Pearl Izumi cycling socks that I also picked up at REI, and i have to say I'm quite impressed. 20 miles roundtrip in those socks, yet they're practically dry. I wore my Converse low-top sneakers with them, which also proved to be quick-drying.
Old 06-29-15, 09:29 AM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Giant Doofus
Sierra Trading Post. Sign up for the email coupons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.