Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What Feature would you like to see implemented on Strava to start paying for it?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What Feature would you like to see implemented on Strava to start paying for it?

Old 05-23-20, 04:35 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts

There are so many times I went for a ride and then found out after the end of the day when people post their ride that I was doing a similar ride than friends I have been following on Strava but in the morning I texted couple friends who I thought were around but didn’t text the other cyclists I am following because they don’t live in that region or don’t usually take that route I do regularly.

It would be nice if Strava implemented a simple live ride share, your ride unfolding live with your friends as soon as you get on your bike or a section with the subject Upcoming rides where you post the itinerary you are planning to take 2 or 3 hours before you actually leave so people can connect and join up to your ride without having to text everyone and activate Find Friends on iPhone
Old 05-23-20, 06:10 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I would like the ability to report and locate known loose dog areas. Pull up a route and the known loose dog zones show up. It would make it easier to avoid or be prepared for problem areas.
Likes For FlashBazbo:
Old 05-23-20, 07:26 AM
Greiselman
longtime noob

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL 6 // 1999 Trek 5000 // Burley Encore X

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 28 Posts
I'd love to see the Route Builder tool have a little more horsepower... e.g. I could enter "I want to ride X miles, with Y feet of climbing, within Z miles of a location" and the tool would spit out a few options. Garmin Connect kind of does this with courses that other users have created and I'll often make it in GC and import the gpx to Strava.

Note: I already happily pay for Strava's existing functionality, but this is something for which I'd pay an extra few bucks a month.
Likes For Greiselman:
Old 05-23-20, 11:47 AM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_max
There are so many times I went for a ride and then found out after the end of the day when people post their ride that I was doing a similar ride than friends I have been following on Strava but in the morning I texted couple friends who I thought were around but didn’t text the other cyclists I am following because they don’t live in that region or don’t usually take that route I do regularly.

It would be nice if Strava implemented a simple live ride share, your ride unfolding live with your friends as soon as you get on your bike or a section with the subject Upcoming rides where you post the itinerary you are planning to take 2 or 3 hours before you actually leave so people can connect and join up to your ride without having to text everyone and activate Find Friends on iPhone

Aka "stalker mode" big privacy issues there and stravas track record on privacy is pretty poor (flybys)
Old 05-23-20, 12:00 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Greiselman
I'd love to see the Route Builder tool have a little more horsepower... e.g. I could enter "I want to ride X miles, with Y feet of climbing, within Z miles of a location" and the tool would spit out a few options. Garmin Connect kind of does this with courses that other users have created and I'll often make it in GC and import the gpx to Strava.

Note: I already happily pay for Strava's existing functionality, but this is something for which I'd pay an extra few bucks a month.
They have a route option on the mobile app that kind of, sort of does that. You can specify start location and ballpark mileage. In terms of elevation, you only have Any, Flat and Hilly.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-23-20, 12:44 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Any vague effort to improve that core functionality of segments: ways to reduce the incredible amount of overlap, ways to reduce the blatantly-incorrect records, all of that.

An ability to query my activities for things like "find me activities in Texas in 2010".

Really though, for me it's a lack of trust: their history is one of taking away features, breaking third party interactions, and ignoring issues. To be comfortable giving them money, I need to feel I can count on their service. Right now I don't. This guy sums it up very well:

https://medium.com/@cosmocatalano/on...k-b6928d6e8b5b
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-23-20, 12:50 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
When something is free, inflationary pressures are expressed by the amount you get for free.
Old 05-23-20, 01:43 PM
esarhaddon
Lurker

Bikes: Trek Domane Koppenberg, Bombtrack Hook 2, Jamis Durango

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 16 Posts
I would like to see strava allow me to put the people I follow on different tabs on the Dashboard Activity Feed. Currently, other people can join clubs and I can section off my feed by those clubs, but that depends on others joining clubs. I want to be able to section off the various groups of people I follow so my feed does not get too cluttered. One tab for the Runner friends I follow, one tab for Zwifters, one tab for family, one tab for Cyclists, ect. That would be much more useful to me that the way the Activity feed interacts with Clubs.
Likes For esarhaddon:
Old 05-23-20, 08:07 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Turn-by-turn audible navigation, like RWGPS! I use a very basic computer without mapping capabilities, and like having the voice giving me directions from my back pocket - it's why I'm currently paying with RWGPS. If Strava's mapping capabilities were as good and they added that feature, I'd switch.

To be perfectly honest, I'd pay a little bit for past effort comparison. I could really care less about leaderboards - my days of waiting for a tailwind and KOM hunting are long past. It's just not worth $5/month, particularly with current job and salary uncertainties.
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 05-23-20, 09:25 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Data from extensions Strava has just disabled:
  • Headwind/tailwind effect calculator
  • Elevate (Stravastix) data
  • HRV data
Old 05-23-20, 10:02 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Data from extensions Strava has just disabled:
  • Headwind/tailwind effect calculator
  • Elevate (Stravastix) data
  • HRV data
Too bad, Elevate was quite useful. Strava going full heel mode huh?
Old 05-23-20, 10:21 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
Too bad, Elevate was quite useful. Strava going full heel mode huh?
Elevate is still working with Strava (I just subscribed this week). For now.

But the wind factor app is gone. Wattson Blue still shows on permitted apps, but I haven't used that for awhile. I'm using Elite HRV because it works with my Wahoo Tickr.

I used the freebie Strava version for a few years, and just subscribed. So far I'm satisfied with the additional features. But, sure, I'd like to see other goodies.

For folks who don't use power meters, a wind factor calculator would be a handy substitute guesstimator.
Old 05-24-20, 09:05 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Any vague effort to improve that core functionality of segments: ways to reduce the incredible amount of overlap, ways to reduce the blatantly-incorrect records, all of that.

An ability to query my activities for things like "find me activities in Texas in 2010".

Really though, for me it's a lack of trust: their history is one of taking away features, breaking third party interactions, and ignoring issues. To be comfortable giving them money, I need to feel I can count on their service. Right now I don't. This guy sums it up very well:

interesting article
Old 05-24-20, 09:17 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
They just announced a digital EPO feature that will be baked right into the platform so everybody can have their own KOM.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-24-20, 09:30 AM
dr_max

Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast
Aka "stalker mode" big privacy issues there and stravas track record on privacy is pretty poor (flybys)
well it’s similar to Find Friends app on iPhone

it could be cool if you activate it for specific friends only and it starts only when you start your strava ride
Old 05-24-20, 09:31 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
One thing that occurred to me while out riding this morning is that forget leaderboards by age or weight - give me a leaderboard for only people who have power, HR, and cadence for the entire segment. On the running side, just enforce HR and cadence. At a stroke that would wipe out a lot of the false entries, untruncated car rides, etc.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-24-20, 10:22 AM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Building off of Bah Humbug two ideas here are things that Strava could implement if, as it would seem, they want to make competition for segment placing a central part of their business model and value proposition for paying members:
​​​​​​
  1. Improved segment search: it is currently nearly impossible to find segments, at least partly due to the overwhelming number of similar segments. Improve the search function, which will probably also require;
  2. Segment anti-duplication tools: have an algorithm that can identify and eliminate the many duplicate and overlapping segments and that, when creating a new segment, alerts the user if a similar one already exists.
  3. Segment curation: in popular riding areas, maybe have Strava or pro or power user created segments that are highlighted as major test pieces.
  4. Segment naming: while a lot of segments have funny or interesting names, often the names are uninformative or don’t do much to identify the segment (“sprint,” “jake’s segment,” etc.). Without taking away the option for creativity maybe Strava can add subtitles to segments that would describe what street they’re on, which direction they go, where they start and end (“Main Street, North, First Ave to Fifth Ave”).
  5. Better ride type differentiation: particularly the ability to distinguish solo from group rides on segment leader boards.
  6. Zwift power equivalent: create Strava algorithm that would filter out suspect results.
Likes For blazin:
Old 05-24-20, 09:43 PM
Seattle Forrest

The global heatmap could incorporate Varia data. Somebody just made the app (er, data field) to collect that info, so it'll be a while before there's enough of it to be useful in this sense.

But if you're looking for a place to ride in an area you don't know very well, car density and the amount that average drivers slow for cyclists would be great to know.
Old 05-24-20, 09:46 PM
Seattle Forrest

​​​​​​Being able to query your data would be fantastic.
Old 05-24-20, 09:56 PM
Hapsmo911

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
i like the meetup function idea. let people know about a planned ride and share location so people can catch up if you left already. maybe set meet spots on the map
Likes For Hapsmo911:
Old 05-25-20, 07:12 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
The global heatmap could incorporate Varia data. Somebody just made the app (er, data field) to collect that info, so it'll be a while before there's enough of it to be useful in this sense.

But if you're looking for a place to ride in an area you don't know very well, car density and the amount that average drivers slow for cyclists would be great to know.
That would be awesome, but...

That requires a third party app being installed on the head unit before the radar data is saved as a part of the ride file. Until Garmin, and preferably others, is saving that data by default, I don't think that it would make sense to put any effort in to that.
Old 05-25-20, 07:24 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Hapsmo911
i like the meetup function idea. let people know about a planned ride and share location so people can catch up if you left already. maybe set meet spots on the map
I like the idea, but don't know how it would be implemented other than on the phone app, and quite frankly, I couldn't give two ****s about the phone app; I'm not mounting my phone to my bars/stem - I'm a serious cyclist.

FWIW, Wahoo has an option to share your location with other Wahoo users - a few of the guys that I ride with have Wahoos and I've used the map page on my Bolt to see their location. The drawback is that it'll show the location of everyone that's sharing, whether you know them or not. It would be nice to filter that via contacts/friends within the companion app or something.
Old 05-25-20, 08:47 AM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2020 S-Works Roubaix (Zipp 303 NSW), 2020 Canyon Ultimate Evo 10.0 (DT Swiss DICUT 1100), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2018 S-Works Camber, 2019 S-Works Epic

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
This would require a Garmin integration for me, but I’d love to be able to load up a route and then have LiveTrack or Beacon estimate my time of return to my house so my wife knows when I’ll get back. Actually, I guess that could be handled entirely in the Garmin environment. Still, that would be handy for both of us. My ride doesn’t get interrupted with a text message and she knows when I’m sandbagging how long I’ll be out.

This feature should also alert her of improvements in my performance. “Your husband just PRed the Wildcat Canyon climb today. You should congratulate him on his achievement when he returns.”

or

”It is likely your husband will fall asleep immediately after getting home based on his average power and length of ride.”
Likes For justonwo:
Old 05-25-20, 08:48 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10046 Post(s)
Liked 5,035 Times in 2,148 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
I would like the ability to report and locate known loose dog areas. Pull up a route and the known loose dog zones show up. It would make it easier to avoid or be prepared for problem areas.

loose humans would be nice too. More and more humans walking in the middle of the road with no sense of direction since this whole covid thing started.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 05-25-20, 09:04 AM
ckmak

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Rapid

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
One thing that occurred to me while out riding this morning is that forget leaderboards by age or weight - give me a leaderboard for only people who have power, HR, and cadence for the entire segment. On the running side, just enforce HR and cadence. At a stroke that would wipe out a lot of the false entries, untruncated car rides, etc.

​​​​​​​That is rather elitist. A lot of people don't run powermeters.
Likes For ckmak:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.