Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rack rash

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rack rash

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-21, 06:25 PM
cave12man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rack rash

Considered putting this in the mechanics thread, but figured I'd start here. Just grabbed my bike off the hitch rack and realized it'd came loose from the straps and has been rubbing up against my wife's bike for the last 4 hours. All the way down to the aluminum. Sad clown. Anyone know how this could be fixed? Or at least covered to prevent further damage? Was thinking of a couple coats of clear would do the trick, just to seal it up, followed by a covering of some sort, even if it's just wrapped in electrical tape. Obviously not the pro way to go, but that's all I got at the moment.

Old 04-01-21, 06:34 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Nail polish.

Then Mylar or clear packing tape over area if this is going to happen again.
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-01-21, 09:47 PM
cave12man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Nail polish.

Then Mylar or clear packing tape over area if this is going to happen again.
Oh good call. We'll be on the road for a couple months so it definetly has the potential to keep happening. I might need to invest in some foam for protection and then a more permanent repair down the line.
Old 04-02-21, 05:56 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Many new bikes come packed with tubes of closed cell foam on the frame. You don't want to know how much of that stuff goes to land fills. However those tubes make very good frame protectors. I keep a stock at home. So, stop at an LBS and ask for some to use when your bikes are on your rack. Big box stores and boutique bike shops may not help but local owned shops probably will.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 04-02-21, 06:23 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Some good advice here. Sounds like you might also need a better rack.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-02-21, 06:41 AM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
tubes s of closed cell foam.
Home Depot/Lowes. Split tubes used for insulation of pipes. Will work great. OR ... split flexible conduit tubes used for corralling wires.
Likes For Elbeinlaw:
Old 04-02-21, 09:52 AM
Gunther20
Gunther20

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3; Trek Boone 5; Raleigh Revenio; Fuji Altamira

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I have found that snap koozies serve a dual purpose. First you can place it on your frame at the touch point when on the rack. Then when you are done riding you can use it to keep your beer cold. WIN/WIN!
Likes For Gunther20:
Old 04-02-21, 07:32 PM
cave12man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn some great advice here guys, thank you! Just found an LBS nearby so I'm going to stop there in the morning and see if they have some packaging. Also might grab some split foam from the nearest lowe's. Still have to figure out a permanent repair, but I think a couple coats of clear might do it.
Old 04-04-21, 07:39 AM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
Please report back

Originally Posted by cave12man
Considered putting this in the mechanics thread, but figured I'd start here. Just grabbed my bike off the hitch rack and realized it'd came loose from the straps and has been rubbing up against my wife's bike for the last 4 hours. All the way down to the aluminum. Sad clown. Anyone know how this could be fixed? Or at least covered to prevent further damage? Was thinking of a couple coats of clear would do the trick, just to seal it up, followed by a covering of some sort, even if it's just wrapped in electrical tape. Obviously not the pro way to go, but that's all I got at the moment.

Many of us will have the same rack problems. Your solutions for the rack or the paint would be helpful.