Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Good CX Rims?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-10, 12:29 AM
joshura

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good CX Rims?

I'm looking for a good rim. These are the features I want:

--Bombproof- I'm about 180 pounds, and these rims will take a beating
--Eyeleted- I'm not interested in having a nipple rip out on me or tearing up the rim trying to true it
--36 hole possibility- I'm lacing it 36h
--Cost is not really important, bikes are really the only thing I spend money on haha, and I am a firm believer in buy it nice or buy it twice
--Width- I want to be able to fit some 28 (or even 25) tires on there if I feel like riding around the city
--Weight doesn't really matter to me

I was considering the following, but let me know if I should look at something else:

-Salsa Delgado
-Mavic A719
-DT TK540

Input is greatly appreciated!
Old 12-02-10, 06:43 AM
flargle

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not eyeleted, but the Velocity Synergy (o/c rear) is Grant Petersen- and Peter White-approved. It's what I would choose for a "bomb-proof" country bike wheel.
https://www.rivbike.com/products/show...nd-700c/18-224
Old 12-03-10, 10:22 AM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had good luck with the delgado cross. My next wheels will be built with Velocity A23s most likely, which a guy from velocity told me can easily be run tubeless with a stans kit. I don't know how hard you tend to be on rims, as it is a little bit lighter option (relatively) but it is available in 36h.
Old 12-15-10, 05:39 PM
Brian@TreeFort

Bikes: Kona Zing Supreme, Giant Anthem X2, Specialized Langster, Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Though naysayers may abound to this response, I would recommend checking out the Mavic Open Pro for cross. It's a little lighter than the rest of those options, and works great for 32c as well as 23c tire diameters. I weigh around 190 pounds and raced cross on these for several season and the only time I ever did any damage was hitting a tall rock at about 20 mph on a descent. It's an eyeleted rim, available in 36h drilling, and is also available in the slightly stronger Mavic "CD" finish, I believe.

Check it out, I'm a proponent.
Old 12-15-10, 07:24 PM
R900
Double Secret Probation

Bikes: Madone 6 series SSL, Cannondale CX9, Trek TTX, Trek 970, Trek T2000

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Get tubulars.
Old 12-15-10, 07:46 PM
Britishbane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went for some velocity synergy's. Really like the ride of a wider rim.
Old 12-16-10, 09:00 AM
ridethatbike
In the top 42%

Bikes: Salsa CCC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Britishbane
I went for some velocity synergy's. Really like the ride of a wider rim.
Wider rims are great. I just had a set of C4 V-22 rims built up with a Velocity front hub and a PT Elite rear.

Here they are. https://www.c-4bicyclecomponents.com/...ml?st=menuJump
Old 12-16-10, 03:19 PM
Scott_CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're willing to go the tubular route, Velocity Major Toms have been getting pretty good reviews as a bomb proof and affordable tubular rim. I'm looking at a pair for next season. If you're 180 pounds It'll let you use lower pressures. I don't weight much so I can get away with 28psi on clinchers, but it's still pretty risky at my weight.
Old 12-16-10, 03:34 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Velocity A 23. These are 23mm wide but will take a wide range of tire sizes from 23mm to 38.
Old 12-17-10, 07:01 PM
Saddle Up
I Love My Dream

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian@TreeFort
Though naysayers may abound to this response, I would recommend checking out the Mavic Open Pro for cross. It's a little lighter than the rest of those options, and works great for 32c as well as 23c tire diameters. I weigh around 190 pounds and raced cross on these for several season and the only time I ever did any damage was hitting a tall rock at about 20 mph on a descent. It's an eyeleted rim, available in 36h drilling, and is also available in the slightly stronger Mavic "CD" finish, I believe.

Check it out, I'm a proponent.
There are folks are using the Open Pro rim on rigid SS 29ers, a "bullet proof" rim.

Last edited by Saddle Up; 12-17-10 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-17-10, 07:11 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Saddle Up
There are folks are using the Open Pro rim on rigid SS 29ers, a "bullet proof" rim.
there has also been a fair amount of quality issues reported on them the last few years.

i personally saw one on a ride this summer with a nipple ripped out and a few other spoke holes that were cracked. just because a rim has eyelets doesn't mean it cant happen.
Old 12-18-10, 04:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Race wheels ? Tubulars are where the action is and has been for Decades.
and the traditional double Eyelet Box section rims are plenty strong.

Pros on Paris Roubaix cobbles Go to those for that race , [unless they have a rim/wheel sponsor
which pays their bills by having them demontrate their product worked on that race.]

Just get a couple sets .. as the tire Gluing takes a while, so cannot be done out on the course ,

then you just put another wheel on in the pits.. or jump on your spare bike and get back out there ..
Old 12-18-10, 10:43 PM
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by M_S
I've had good luck with the delgado cross. My next wheels will be built with Velocity A23s most likely, which a guy from velocity told me can easily be run tubeless with a stans kit. I don't know how hard you tend to be on rims, as it is a little bit lighter option (relatively) but it is available in 36h.
This is a good option for a couple reasons. They're strong, cheap and not too heavy, so that's good, but they're also wider than a standard road rim by a few mm (22.5mm). They tend to work better than skinnier rims with wider cross tires.
Old 12-22-10, 12:05 PM
holychipotle

Bikes: Ridley X-fire (Chris King tubies/Rival), Specialized Tarmac (Zipps/Dura-ace)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velocity A23 - Clincher
Velocity Major TOM- Tubular

Build them 36 in the rear and 32 in the front triple cross and nothing will stop you
Old 12-22-10, 02:16 PM
Staggerwing

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are some specs for several rims.

Velocity A23
19.5mm high
23mm wide
426g
601mm ERD
V-cross section, non-eyleted

Velocity Dyad
27mm high
24mm wide
480 g
596mm ERD
V-cross section, non-eyeleted

Velocity Synergy
18mm high
23mm wide
496g
604mm ERD
Box cross section, eyeleted
also available as O/C rear

DT Swiss TK540
20.2mm high
23.6mm wide
540g
600mm ERD
Box cross section, eyeleted

I've built with, and handled, all but the A23. The DT Swiss rim is built to perhaps the highest standard, not that the Velocity products are lacking. Their products have a well earned rep as being perfectly round, and easy to build, which will result in a very evenly tensioned wheelset. Coming from a set of worn out Open Pro's, the wear dimples on the DT's are a nice touch. The TK540 is heavy though, more of a touring rim, although, I'm sure it would be the most bomb proof of the above.

The Synergy and Dyad are more than decent runner ups. I thought initially, just from specs, and the off-center rear, that the Synergy would be the clear winner. The O/C rear is less important on a 135mm rear and/or a shimano setup. There is a touch more offset in a 130mm Campy rear, were it would begin to be more important. With 36 spokes, there is plenty of history to suggest and off-center design is not critical. The Synergy is more squat in cross-section, and requires more material/weight to achieve the same stiffness as the Dyad. The Dyad is Velocity's sleeper rim. Available in many drillings, relatively light, and plenty tough, even without eyelets. Easier to source on discount too. It will build better if you put a dab of nickel anti-seize in the spoke hole, or on the nipple flange, before building.

The specs on the A23 suggest more of a road wheel, and at 180lbs, you may be pushing it for cyclocross. That said, building it 36h might tip the balance in your favor. Out of all the listed rims, the A23 would win my vote as the one most likely to suffer a nipple pull through.

Agree on the advice to go 36h rear/32h front. Most important point for longevity is full (~110kgf front and DS, NDS will be a bit less) and even spoke tension.

If you are serious, consider the Velocity Major Tom tubular route. They Dyad would be my second choice.