Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring on Bullhorn Handlebars

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 03-21-17, 07:42 AM
BlarneyHammer

Bikes: Invictus, Valeria, Jackie, and Vanguard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Anyone tried this? How did you like it?
Old 03-21-17, 08:39 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
A friend of mine uses them. He used to use drop bars but never used the drops, only the tops or hood position. He feels that the bullhorn gives him a riding position that is very similar to using drop bars without drops. He used them on his previous touring bike before he upgraded to his current bike, so he obviously likes them.

I would not like them, I prefer the option for more aerodynamic position by using the drops.

His bike is the one on the left in the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20IMGP0402.jpg (94.1 KB, 300 views)
Old 03-21-17, 08:53 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,346 Posts
Originally Posted by BlarneyHammer
Anyone tried this? How did you like it?
No reason not to if you've ridden long miles using them and are happy.

I ride drop bars mostly in the top positions, but would never give up the dropped position, which I feel gives me better steering control on high speed descents.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-05-18, 08:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4254 Post(s)
Liked 3,867 Times in 2,580 Posts
I feel like we just discussed this recently? Anywho I prefer drop bars as it is easier to mount both brake levers and shifters on them and still have my ergo flat top. I do have a set of bullhorns on one of my single speeds and I do really like them (Zipp Vuka Alumina) but mounting stuff is a bit harder and I don't like the look of bar ends inside of the brake levers on the ends. The bike they are on is a quick little FG/SS Langster which is a lot of fun for zipping around but not one I would want for long distance, personally.

If you are looking multi position and don't want drops, try a Trekking/Butterfly bar or a Jones Loop bar or a Velo Orange Crazy Bar (probably the most similar to a bullhorn but more useful for touring)
Old 04-05-18, 08:52 PM
UDFA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't seem to find it now, but someone wrote an article on Crazyguyonabike about his set up which featured bullhorns with clip on aero bars. He used bar end shifters and had- I think- MTB levers mounted face down. I considered trying that for a Univega MTB project, but went with Crazy Bars instead.

Last edited by UDFA; 04-05-18 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Omitted important info
Old 04-06-18, 04:56 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I’ve thought about trying that myself. I’ve never tried bull horns, but came to the same conclusion your friend did. I hardly ever use the drops anyway, so why bother with them? I also think bull horns would provide a much more secure hand hold compared to brake hoods, which provide very little. You have to choose between holding onto the hood with fingers behind the lever or having an insecure grip, but having your fingers on the lever. I don’t like those options when going downhill off pavement. Bull horns would give you a handlebar to hold onto with a couple fingers on the lever, more like a bmx or mtb. I’ll probably try it soon.
Old 04-06-18, 07:03 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
If you've used them and like them, I see no reason why not to.

As with many of these questions, if it works for you, go for it.
Old 04-06-18, 09:51 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
i used 'em, i like 'em. setup same as with straight bars and bar-ends,
but with the bullhorns you have a nice round bend, no uncomfortable
bar-end joints.

(zoom brahma, tektro levers, suntour friction thumbshifters)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mtb3.jpg (30.3 KB, 166 views)
Old 04-06-18, 10:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I get a similar feel with Ergon Grip/bar ends integrated design, GR2 is short GR5 is the longest bar end.

I have 2 bikes with the GR3.. broad paddle grip vastly more comfortable than a round or taped grip.

Old 04-09-18, 02:18 PM
nickw

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
i have wasted alot of money trying this and that. i wish we have bike coop so i can try different setup w/o having to buy. Still looking and wasting money for the perfect setup.
Never going to be a 'perfect' setup...your rides will vary as you will as you get more experienced, more fit and older....
Old 04-10-18, 06:22 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Bullhorns

I had one of my bikes set up with bullhorns and enjoyed it, but I only used that bike for shorter rides and occasional commutes. The big problem for me is that there was nowhere to hide on windy days, when I typically use my drops the most. On a tour, this could be problematic if you faced a long slog into headwinds. However, many cyclists never use their drops anyway, so if that’s the case, why not use bullhorns? They certainly provide more hand positions than flat bars (without bar ends).