Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New shoes

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New shoes

Old 09-13-21, 12:09 PM
armybikerider

Bikes: Lynskey R330 Chris Bishop custom steel road bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
New shoes

So I've been using Shimano R220 road shoes for the past 12 years. I had 2 pair and they both are getting pretty long-in-the-tooth and looking pretty raggedy.

I do not have any bike shops with realistic driving distance that carry any stock in shoes at all, so I'm forced to look online and I'm thinking of changing brands....just because.

Anyone have any idea which brands fit similar to Shimano?
Old 09-13-21, 12:48 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
I wouldn't change brands if I couldn't try them on. Everybody has their own lasts that they build shoes on and there is not really any standards society or bureau that regulates how they size them.

If you order online, check what their return policy is. Some sites have a separate return policy for shoes. So be aware. Some are generous with their return policy others aren't.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-13-21, 12:54 PM
Phatman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts
I've found that the fit that Shimano has is pretty unusual. Shimano shoes tend to run wide in both the heel and the forefoot, has a very flat footbed, and tends to cater towards a lower volume (lower instep) type of foot, and I've found that to be a pretty rare combination of fits. Lake's run wide like Shimano, but they cater more towards a higher volume/higher instep fit. Giro has a pretty low volume fit, but tends to run narrower in the heel. Specialized is wide in the forefoot and super super narrow in the heel. I've not tried Fizik, but I've heard that they're all about the low volume foot and also have a pretty narrow width.

Overall, Shimano makes a pretty great shoe. The fit and finish is better on the S-phyre's than every other shoe I've looked at, but they just didn't fit my foot. I'd just snag another pair of Shimanos if I were you, since you know they fit.
Likes For Phatman:
Old 09-13-21, 01:40 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
almost all of mine are used. so many people take up a sport or hobby then give it up. i've bought on ebay, poshmark and even etsy.
Old 09-13-21, 03:48 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4381 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 2,976 Posts
Originally Posted by Phatman
I've not tried Fizik, but I've heard that they're all about the low volume foot and also have a pretty narrow width.
Fizik now have a few wide fitting, high volume options too. I have been using the Fizik Tempo Overcurve R4 Wide for about 12 months now and they are pretty wide with a very generous toe-box. I think even the standard version of this shoe is fairly wide fitting.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-14-21, 10:44 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I just bought a pair of these Pearl Izumi's and they are really nice. I wear 11.5 in running shoes and got the 46 fits perfect. These have only one BOA to deal with and snug up very nicely. Well made and I recommend them although Shimano makes great shoes compare a Shimano at these prices. Here is the link
Men's Attack Road – PEARL iZUMi
Old 09-14-21, 02:28 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
If you've been happy with the Shimanos, why change, especially via mail order ?. I too like Shimano and buy whatever the current version is of whatever I was wearing. I've had luck with this method, even from mail order.
Old 09-14-21, 07:38 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 689 Posts
All brands fit differently, which is why I tend to stick with the brands I like. For me, Shimano and North Wave are my favorites.
Old 09-14-21, 08:21 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Shimano are moderately wide. That I've owned (or tried on), Specialized have probably been the most similar, though they've tweaked their fit a little over the last several years. I generally agree with sticking with a brand that works, though. If you want to get fancier, just go up the line a bit.
Old 09-15-21, 12:31 AM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
I bought new shoes via mail order, make sure whatever retailer you are buying from have a good return policy! The first pair cost me £15 to return, luckily the 2nd pair I ordered had free returns, I returned them and sized up, they fitted like a glove. I also found both brands I tried were all different sizes to what I usually wear even though they had size comparison chart for different brands!