Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Pacific Coast Bike Race

Old 05-03-22, 07:33 AM
Bent4life 

Bikes: Bachetta Ti Aero

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Pacific Coast Bike Race

1500 mile ride down the left coast. Might have to move this to my bucket list.

Pacific Coast Bike Race 2022 live tracker by trackleaders.com
Likes For Bent4life:
Old 05-13-22, 02:12 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
I have ridden Highway 1 all through northern California extensively, and south of SF Bay a bit also. East of Portland even less, and the city, too. I find the coast highway vastly over-rated. Except for the most remote stretches, it's too damn dangerous. The route posted looks horrible to me.
Likes For venturi95:
Old 06-27-22, 08:51 PM
adventure Cycle

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The race was fabulous with 32 people from 8 different countries. There were no bike accidents or close calls. Excellent route!
Old 06-29-22, 09:11 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 774 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by venturi95
I have ridden Highway 1 all through northern California extensively, and south of SF Bay a bit also. East of Portland even less, and the city, too. I find the coast highway vastly over-rated. Except for the most remote stretches, it's too damn dangerous. The route posted looks horrible to me.
Amen

Ive been on organized rides on sections that were still scary as hell with CHP presence all over.
Old 06-29-22, 02:50 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Having read lots of crazyguyonbike reports, I would love to do this race. I cannot remember a tourist complaining about the route. I've ridden parts of it and driven parts of it. 1500 miles isn't short but isn't crazy like TABT or TCR.

Does anyone know if this race will be run next year? It would be a great easy ride to get in shape for PBP next summer.
Old 06-29-22, 05:09 PM
adventure Cycle

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
October 1st 2023 will be then next Pacific Coast Bike Race

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Having read lots of crazyguyonbike reports, I would love to do this race. I cannot remember a tourist complaining about the route. I've ridden parts of it and driven parts of it. 1500 miles isn't short but isn't crazy like TABT or TCR.

Does anyone know if this race will be run next year? It would be a great easy ride to get in shape for PBP next summer.

October 1st 2023 - there is a Facebook Group for it - Pacific Coast Bike Race

this race was amazing. Cant wait till next year

they added a 750 mile race too. Sacramento to SF to San Diego. May 7th 2023
Likes For adventure Cycle:
Old 06-29-22, 09:42 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
I'm honestly happy to hear about the good conditions. I will spare you the scary stories that spring to mind, not just with drivers. My experience dates from 1988 to 2010, maybe the toxic culture has died off. People can change.