Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cinelli SC Pista for commuting

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-21, 09:17 PM
Anfieldtramp

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi all,

I recently managed to get a NOS Cinelli Supercorsa pista frame from a good friend in my size, and was thinking of building it up for commuting purposes. (There are no velodromes near where I live) I would like to know if anyone has owned one of these bikes before, and how do they ride? From the geometry charts provided on the Cinelli site, the frame doesn't seem crazy aggressive (for a track bike I mean), and it's a gorgeous frame. I also live in a very flat area with lots of rain year round, so I thought going on a fixed gear for commuting would make sense.

Do let me know your thoughts, thanks!
Likes For Anfieldtramp:
Old 05-28-21, 09:38 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I've commuted for years on assorted fixed gears. I never minded the steep angles, but I'm used to the toe-overlap that comes with most any track bike under a 56cm. You'll be on your own for hauling your kit and/or water, no eyelets. Fenders will be impossible to fit, unless you lace up a set of 650b wheels and then potentially be limited to ~35mm tires by the frame.

You can commute on anything, but this sounds like the kind of thing that's best saved for special road rides or sell it to someone who likes to go in circles.
Old 05-28-21, 09:41 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
The geometry doesn't seem untoward. That would be fine on the road, handling wise, I'd think.

The trouble is those forks have a track crown, don't they? You can't drill a track crown for a front brake. I'd not commute without a front brake, no matter how flat it is. S**t happens. Drivers are unpredictable. You need brakes.

You can get a Keirin brake adapter. They are expensive and there may not be room, depending on clearances. You could also get a different fork. Just about any 700c/27" fork should be ok.

Or disregard my post completely if you've got brakes worked out.
Old 05-29-21, 12:00 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked 1,896 Times in 930 Posts
We need to see some pictures!
Likes For P!N20:
Old 05-29-21, 04:07 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 280 Posts
Depending on the year, that could be a quite valuable frame, especially NOS. If it were me, I would not use it as a commuter.
Old 05-29-21, 04:44 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
When I think about commuting, it means taking risks, riding in bad weather, picking up stuff from stores and using a big effin' U lock whenever possible.
I wouldn't do that to an NOS SC. There's too many other nice road frames to convert.
Likes For clubman:
Old 05-29-21, 06:00 AM
Anfieldtramp

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine
Depending on the year, that could be a quite valuable frame, especially NOS. If it were me, I would not use it as a commuter.
It's quite recent, from 2018!

Originally Posted by clubman
When I think about commuting, it means taking risks, riding in bad weather, picking up stuff from stores and using a big effin' U lock whenever possible.
I wouldn't do that to an NOS SC. There's too many other nice road frames to convert.
Fair enough. Thing is, I've always had a thing for the vintage Italian track bikes, especially the lugged ones. I used to commute on a Wabi Classic, which admittedly is nothing similiar, so riding fixed isn't new to me. But i do see the point about commuter bikes generally being banged up after bad weather and constant use, which is something one might not want to do to a NOS Cinelli SC.

Originally Posted by scarlson
The geometry doesn't seem untoward. That would be fine on the road, handling wise, I'd think.

The trouble is those forks have a track crown, don't they? You can't drill a track crown for a front brake. I'd not commute without a front brake, no matter how flat it is. S**t happens. Drivers are unpredictable. You need brakes.

Or disregard my post completely if you've got brakes worked out.
I actually was thinking of using the Keirin clamp on brake option!
Old 05-29-21, 06:19 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
For commuting, especially in a rainy area, I'd want something with enough clearance for mudguards. And unless you have a safe place indoors to lock it up, I'd want something less flashy. An old English 3-speed served as my commuter for many years (retired now). Low maintenance (internally geared hub), mudguards, rack to carry things, no theft appeal, inexpensive. What's not to like?
Old 05-29-21, 11:56 AM
uncleivan 

Bikes: '92 MX Leader, 84 Colnago Mexico, 85 Recherche, 86 Panasonic ATB Pro, 88 Roberts, 80 moser... ect

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 67 Posts
I have a keirin brake for my samson, they make a couple types depending on the shape of the fork blades. Personally I like to ride it without the brakes. I don't really like the idea of the stress on the fork legs.
That said, they do make an adapter that mounts from underneath internally into the steertube through the fork crown.
(pictures are worth...)
On my bike I'm limited clearance wise and can barely fit a 24mm tire let alone with that mount. On yours it should work.
As far as a commuter, it's your bike, ride!
Old 05-30-21, 04:54 AM
Anfieldtramp

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I was also wondering about the stress on the fork from the clamp on front brake. If the brake is there for emergency purposes and legal reasons (since I'm quite confident in stopping using my legs most of the time), and it's not used very much at all, would it still be a problem for the structural integrity of the fork? My thinking is that since it won't be used often, it should be ok? Or is it just the fact of having something clamped to the fork that makes it in itself problematic.
Old 05-30-21, 06:20 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 185 Posts
Fixed is safer

On a fixed bike you have to anticipate everything. You dial into the road traffic otherwise you are roadkill. City couriers use fixed for this reason. I used a track bike in traffic for commuting, just change the forks with a drilled crown.
For the first 60 years all bikes had clamped on brakes- so no problem there. Resilion brakes were always clamp ons as well as most rod brakes.
Get a good coat for road spray and/or there are plenty frame mounted fenders to help out. You must have a front brake minimum (in Europe it is illegal and if an unbraked bike is involved in a crash the cyclists are treated the same as a drunk driver) pedestrians can't hear bikes and step out without looking. Many drivers simply don't care if you are on a bike competing for roadspace. You don't exist for some. A rear brake is next to useless for stopping.

Last edited by Johno59; 05-30-21 at 06:40 AM.
Old 05-30-21, 07:36 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Anfieldtramp
I was also wondering about the stress on the fork from the clamp on front brake. If the brake is there for emergency purposes and legal reasons (since I'm quite confident in stopping using my legs most of the time), and it's not used very much at all, would it still be a problem for the structural integrity of the fork? My thinking is that since it won't be used often, it should be ok? Or is it just the fact of having something clamped to the fork that makes it in itself problematic.
think about the forces and where applied
this is not a disc brake
plenty of other reasons to not use it all year but the clamp on brake does not worry me
Old 05-31-21, 01:38 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
I loved a track bike for commuting so I'm a bit envious. I also place Cinelli SC at the top of my bike list, again, I'm even more envious. Some of my most memorable times have been on a 'commuter' track bike. Now I wish I was young enough to enjoy those times all over again. Gee, this has been a 'sad' thread for me but a fantastic one for you Anfieldtramp. Wishing you all the best.

Oh yeah, with such an iconic frame I would be worried about fitting a brake to the Cinelli front fork. I'd try to source a replacement front fork that would accomodate a brake calliper. I can understand the urge to go brakeless - Shhhh - I'd go brakeless too.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 05-31-21 at 01:45 AM.
Old 05-31-21, 03:43 AM
Anfieldtramp

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Johno59
On a fixed bike you have to anticipate everything. You dial into the road traffic otherwise you are roadkill. City couriers use fixed for this reason. I used a track bike in traffic for commuting, just change the forks with a drilled crown.
For the first 60 years all bikes had clamped on brakes- so no problem there. Resilion brakes were always clamp ons as well as most rod brakes.
Get a good coat for road spray and/or there are plenty frame mounted fenders to help out. You must have a front brake minimum (in Europe it is illegal and if an unbraked bike is involved in a crash the cyclists are treated the same as a drunk driver) pedestrians can't hear bikes and step out without looking. Many drivers simply don't care if you are on a bike competing for roadspace. You don't exist for some. A rear brake is next to useless for stopping.
That's really interesting on the Resilion brakes, a cool piece of history. Thanks for letting me know!

Originally Posted by repechage
think about the forces and where applied
this is not a disc brake
plenty of other reasons to not use it all year but the clamp on brake does not worry me
Yea, I was thinking the same thing as well. I actually am leaning towards using the brake adapater that inserts into the head tube; saw another thread from some time ago on this and a user was talking about how the SC pista fork has decent clearance for a track fork.

Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
I loved a track bike for commuting so I'm a bit envious. I also place Cinelli SC at the top of my bike list, again, I'm even more envious. Some of my most memorable times have been on a 'commuter' track bike. Now I wish I was young enough to enjoy those times all over again. Gee, this has been a 'sad' thread for me but a fantastic one for you Anfieldtramp. Wishing you all the best.

Oh yeah, with such an iconic frame I would be worried about fitting a brake to the Cinelli front fork. I'd try to source a replacement front fork that would accomodate a brake calliper. I can understand the urge to go brakeless - Shhhh - I'd go brakeless too.
Aw thanks for the well wishes man! Much appreciated. My main concern about swapping out the fork would be how it would impact the handling of the bike tho. I heard that track frames with road forks can be very twitchy in handling,
Old 05-31-21, 04:50 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
We need to see some pictures!
@Anfieldtramp's Album:
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/521356
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/18690715

Well,that doesn't look like a Cinelli.
Old 05-31-21, 05:05 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,788 Times in 1,405 Posts
That's really interesting on the Resilion brakes, a cool piece of history. Thanks for letting me know!
Resillion had their offering, but on Italian bikes, Bowden was the brake of choice. I don't recommend them. Braking ceases to be an active verb and is only somewhat of a weak suggestion.

Frejus 49 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Old 05-31-21, 05:07 AM
Anfieldtramp

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
@Anfieldtramp's Album:

Well,that doesn't look like a Cinelli.
HAHA yea its been sold off already! That didn't actually belong to me though, was helping someone to hold it awhile. But it was a gorgeous frame. Wish it was mine
Old 05-31-21, 05:22 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Back in the day, 87-91, I commuted a lot and while I would occasionally ride my prized possession, a 90 Bianchi Proto, mostly I’d ride my older Sport SX or borrowed team Cannondale frame. personally I’d never buy something like that with the idea of commuting on it.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-31-21, 12:02 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26392 Post(s)
Liked 10,366 Times in 7,197 Posts
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 05-31-21, 12:17 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
My main concern about swapping out the fork would be how it would impact the handling of the bike tho. I heard that track frames with road forks can be very twitchy in handling,
The reason for that is that a road fork will normally have a bit more rake than a track fork. This combined with the steep head angle can result in a very low trail. And low trail geometry can be twitchy, especially at low speeds. At higher speeds, and/or with a front load, it's great.

Finding a road fork with very little rake would be a possibility, but a non-original fork would also ruin the aesthetic of the track bike. If you can get your hands on one of those Keirin adapters, it'll be a bit more seamless.
Old 05-31-21, 01:14 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
My two cents

The clamp on brake, in question, made me nervous in my limited use. Plus I have seen pictures of fork damage caused by this setup. I used it once on a shakedown ride, and immediately went for the quill adapter option.

It is expensive, but a beautiful piece of machining. Shipping and service is top notch as well. Do it right the first time, it will be cheaper!

I too, considered the fork route, but expense would be approximately the same and would change the looks and characteristics of the bike as well. It is something to consider though as a fork designed for a brake caliper will offer best fit and performance of said caliper.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 05-31-21, 01:30 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26392 Post(s)
Liked 10,366 Times in 7,197 Posts
I hope this might help in your decision...

...I know that it is declasse of me to bring this up, but I'll say it anyway. thre are a lot of relatively well constructed track frames coming out of Taiwan now, that are inexpensive compared to your Cinelli, and some of them are even drilled for a front brake. If you absolutely must have the experience of commuting on a track frame, build one of them up, or even buy a complete bike like a Bianchi Pista (depending on where the Pistadex is sitting on Craigslist right now).

You can build some kind of coaster brake rear wheel for your current frame, and it will be at least street legal in California and most states.

But there's no getting around the fenders, rack, and wider, more durable tyres that most people want on a commuter bike any place it rains and if you need to change clothes, carry your lunch, do any of the mundane things that are involved in commuting by bicycle year around. I believe this has already been covered by others offering advice.

Here are two photos of commuter bikes I've used in the past. the Raleigh three speed was by far the best all around commuter, but the black one is something I put together to go faster in good weather, which we have here for about six months out of the year in California. It originated as a "track" frame, made in Taiwan, and on half price year end sale from Performance online. It's smaller than any track bike I would ride for that purpose, because it turns out to be an advantage in traffic to have a more upright position for visuals. Those New York City messenger bike guys, with their heads down in full tuck, look impressive in the movies, but they have an unfortunate tendency to run into cars and stuff. Good luck. Bike commuting is one of life's grand adventures.

Slow but not too bad with custom lighter wheel rims.

Mechanicals built around a SRAM P5 IGH

A Bianchi with a flip flop hub, and some elevation for the bar provided with an up angled stem. By the time I got this, I was retired. Which I highly recommend when possible.
Likes For 3alarmer: