Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Carradice Lightweight Audax Saddlebag

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-21, 03:44 PM
twa

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, 2013 Novara FlyBy (folding), 2021 All-City Space Horse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Carradice Lightweight Audax Saddlebag

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has used the Carradice Lightweight Audax saddlebag and, if so, how they like it. It looks good for my needs (tool, tube, layer, food storage on 200 to 300K day rides) and is priced within my budget (~$100) but I haven't come across any reviews of it on the Internet. From the Carradice website description I believe it is very similar to the Super C Audax but made of Cordura nylon instead of waxed cotton duck. If you have used this bag, do you think it would work hanging off saddle loops without the Bagman or SQR support rack? I have about 10.5" clearance between the loops and the top of the rear tire.

Thanks!
  • Riding Style: Slow, comfort-oriented
  • Current Set Up: 2021 Space Horse, B17 saddle (no mudguards, no racks), REI 6L handlebar bag, Timbuk2 Sonoma seat pack
  • https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/saddlebags/lightweight-audax-saddlebag-black-cordura
Old 08-30-21, 04:02 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I have never seen one of the lightweight ones in use.

The problem with not using a support with a Carradice style bag is that it really flops around when you stand up. I guess the pockets are nice.
Old 08-30-21, 04:29 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
The ones with 3 mounting points don't flop much if all 3 mounting points are fairly tight.
Old 08-31-21, 05:18 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
I have a Carradice Pendle, I see no reason why the attachments for the Audax would be much different than the Pendle.

I use a Brooks Conquest on most of my bikes, it does not have saddle loops, but does have springs and I put the saddle loop straps around spring coils instead, works just fine.

First photo, my Pendle hanging from the saddle.

The photo above, my legs would just barely hit the bag, not a big deal but a minor nuisance. The strap around the seatpost, I used a toe clip strap instead of the short buckle strap that was provided.

Below, I used the appropriate shim to put a stem on my seatpost, and put a short (about 6 inches) wood dowel in the seatpost horizontally, that holds the bag further back and also holds the bag a bit more upright. Bag no longer touches my legs when I pedal. And the bag being a bit more upright makes the bag a bit more convenient. Dowel is hidden in the photo below, sprayed the dowel black.

Same bag and same stem in photo below, but this is on a different bike, the dowel is easier to see. This model bag did not include D rings for a shoulder bag when I bought mine, I added them.

I use a sheet of Corroplast inside the bag as a stiffener so that the bag does not hang down like a wet pillowcase. If you try that, try it first with a sheet of cardboard (gives you an excuse to buy a pizza box) to get the size just right. I used a piece of cardboard for that purpose for over a year before i cut a piece of Corroplast to replace it.

I have not seen the Carradice Audax other than photos on my computer screen, thus I can't comment on that model.

Regarding tire clearance, the red bike has a horizontal top tube, seat tube size is 59 cm. I had more than adequate tire clearance, but my seatpost is higher than some other riders would have it. Photo below gives you a better tire clearance guesstimate. Wheels are 700c.

Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 08-31-21, 09:05 AM
twa

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, 2013 Novara FlyBy (folding), 2021 All-City Space Horse

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thank You Very Much

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Sounds like it is worth a go. Thanks Tourist for the detailed description and photos of your Pendle set ups. If I end up getting the Lightweight Audax, I will refer to your improvement ideas and also post some photos in case anyone else is interested.
Old 08-31-21, 10:50 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
If you do not have enough clearance with your tire, on the Touring forum, Happy Feet uses this rack for his Carradry saddle bag.
https://www.carradice.co.uk/products...saddlebag-rack

Photo of that combination here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/22152924-post7.html
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 09-07-21, 06:59 PM
twa

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks again

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
If you do not have enough clearance with your tire, on the Touring forum, Happy Feet uses this rack for his Carradry saddle bag.
https://www.carradice.co.uk/products...saddlebag-rack

Photo of that combination here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/22152924-post7.html
Thanks. I had not seen that rack before. Looks good.
Old 07-14-22, 08:50 PM
twa

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Update, in case anyone is interested...

I ended up going with the Super C Audax bag. Saw some posts for DIY bagman equivalent racks and decided to try making a (sort of) quick release version. Looks ugly but seems to work OK so far. I used soft steel rod to form the support and automotive hose clamps to attach it to the seat rails. Made a bracket to bolt to the B17 loops to hang the bag using a straight section of rod through some eyebolts attached to the dowel. So far it has held up on a couple of brevets as well as some bumpy fire road rides. But I may end up getting the Carradice Classic rack to make it easier to move the bag between bikes.