Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring Japan

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring Japan

Old 03-31-22, 05:52 PM
  #1  
biker in japan
turtle speed cyclist
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: a bit south of Hiroshima, japan
Posts: 40

Bikes: Giant R3 Escape

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Touring Japan

Touring Japan soon . Got my my 2022 Japan cycling tee-shirt made. Still in the planning stage at the moment. Not sure yet what date I'll head out the door, but hopefully within the next 2 weeks.
I'll try to add to this post as I travel.

Got to Okinawa last year. Now up to Hokkaido.
biker in japan is offline  
Likes For biker in japan:
Old 04-01-22, 10:33 AM
  #2  
dgodave
Behold my avatar:
 
dgodave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SW Colorado
Posts: 1,017

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6662 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 134 Posts
Awesome. So you already live there? What route are you planning?

I toured Kyushu back in 2019 and Japan is an amazing place to cycle and tour.
dgodave is offline  
Likes For dgodave:
Old 04-01-22, 05:41 PM
  #3  
biker in japan
turtle speed cyclist
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: a bit south of Hiroshima, japan
Posts: 40

Bikes: Giant R3 Escape

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dgodave View Post
Awesome. So you already live there? What route are you planning?

I toured Kyushu back in 2019 and Japan is an amazing place to cycle and tour.
Hi Dave
Yes, I live in Yamaguchi-ken . South Japan. Actually they call it west Japan.
This is my 3 rd attempt to make it to Hokkaido and then come down the Pacific Coast to Shikoku and back to Yamaguchi.
I'm still in the planning stage but I will bike along the China sea side up to Ishikawa. To save time, since I already got that far last year ( had to turn back, covid restrictions) I'll be hopping the trains on and off. It will save me a good 45 days doing it that way. I sight see when I go. This is a journey to see Japan and not only cycling my way around Japan but to enjoy the lifestyles and culture of different sections of Japan.
I think that is cool that you cycled Kyushu . Hope it wasn't in the summer . LOL Last year I got to Okinawa in August and , really it was too hot to even go camping. So I caved in and booked a hotel. Only 36 bucks a night with buffet breakfast. I do want to get back there and see Miyakoshima. An island off Okinawa.
Stay in touch on this thread as I'll update and maybe you'll see my progress, hopefully all positive side.
Japan still is not allowing tourist in so I won't be seeing hardly any foreigners cycling up north. Cycling here as a foreigner as you have found out is that the locals are please to chat and help you out.
Take care.
Here's a picture of my bike. ( if I can find one )

This is my bike loaded to travel all Japan, but this year I bought a lighter tent so hopefully the load will be lessen.


My coffee cup. Only cost 100 yen.
biker in japan is offline  
Old 04-01-22, 07:27 PM
  #4  
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...
 
Dudelsack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Loovul in summer. Jensen Beach in Winter.
Posts: 6,623

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires; Trek/Electra Townie Mega E bike.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 32 Posts
I see your picture there on the wall…
__________________
Brevity is the soul of wit.



Dudelsack is offline  
Old 04-01-22, 08:09 PM
  #5  
biker in japan
turtle speed cyclist
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: a bit south of Hiroshima, japan
Posts: 40

Bikes: Giant R3 Escape

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
I see your picture there on the wall…
What picture is that?
biker in japan is offline  
Old 04-01-22, 09:24 PM
  #6  
dgodave
Behold my avatar:
 
dgodave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SW Colorado
Posts: 1,017

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6662 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by biker in japan View Post
Hi Dave
Yes, I live in Yamaguchi-ken . South Japan. Actually they call it west Japan.
This is my 3 rd attempt to make it to Hokkaido and then come down the Pacific Coast to Shikoku and back to Yamaguchi.
I'm still in the planning stage but I will bike along the China sea side up to Ishikawa. To save time, since I already got that far last year ( had to turn back, covid restrictions) I'll be hopping the trains on and off. It will save me a good 45 days doing it that way. I sight see when I go. This is a journey to see Japan and not only cycling my way around Japan but to enjoy the lifestyles and culture of different sections of Japan.
I think that is cool that you cycled Kyushu . Hope it wasn't in the summer . LOL Last year I got to Okinawa in August and , really it was too hot to even go camping. So I caved in and booked a hotel. Only 36 bucks a night with buffet breakfast. I do want to get back there and see Miyakoshima. An island off Okinawa.
Stay in touch on this thread as I'll update and maybe you'll see my progress, hopefully all positive side.
Japan still is not allowing tourist in so I won't be seeing hardly any foreigners cycling up north. Cycling here as a foreigner as you have found out is that the locals are please to chat and help you out.
Take care.
Here's a picture of my bike. ( if I can find one )

This is my bike loaded to travel all Japan, but this year I bought a lighter tent so hopefully the load will be lessen.


My coffee cup. Only cost 100 yen.
For sure I will watch this thread. I really want to return to Japan and bike tour more. I also hopped on trains here and there. You can see my route about halfway into this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...an-kyushu.html

I started on May 1, so the weather was pretty nice.
dgodave is offline  
Likes For dgodave:
Old 04-01-22, 10:55 PM
  #7  
biker in japan
turtle speed cyclist
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: a bit south of Hiroshima, japan
Posts: 40

Bikes: Giant R3 Escape

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dgodave View Post
For sure I will watch this thread. I really want to return to Japan and bike tour more. I also hopped on trains here and there. You can see my route about halfway into this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...an-kyushu.html

I started on May 1, so the weather was pretty nice.
That seems so exciting. I'm not really active on this forum. But it sure is informative. I'm waiting now to hear back from the US Embassy about some paper work regarding the IRS. Something I was unaware of WEP. Once I find out what to do then I'll start my journey.
biker in japan is offline  
Old 04-04-22, 12:33 AM
  #8  
imi
aka Timi
 
imi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 3,096

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 58 Posts
Hi, I’m planning on touring Japan hopefully in late summer/early autumn.
Can anyone recommend which type of cartridge gas is most readily available?

I have screw on valve (primus), one click (camping-gaz), and old-skool puncture stoves… or is it better with a Trangia stove (denatured alcohol)?

Thanks!
imi is offline  
Old 04-04-22, 05:36 AM
  #9  
waddo
Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Japan
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 30 Posts
Primus.
waddo is offline  
Old 04-04-22, 11:11 AM
  #10  
imi
aka Timi
 
imi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 3,096

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by waddo View Post
Primus.
🙏Thanks!
imi is offline  
Old 04-04-22, 11:34 AM
  #11  
dgodave
Behold my avatar:
 
dgodave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SW Colorado
Posts: 1,017

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6662 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by waddo View Post
Primus.
Primus sucks
dgodave is offline  
Old 04-04-22, 12:22 PM
  #12  
imi
aka Timi
 
imi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 3,096

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by dgodave View Post
Primus sucks
Huh? But having a stove with the wrong kind of valve for available cartridges kind of sucks too, neh? 😉
imi is offline  
Old 04-04-22, 01:00 PM
  #13  
dgodave
Behold my avatar:
 
dgodave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SW Colorado
Posts: 1,017

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6662 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by imi View Post
Huh? But having a stove with the wrong kind of valve for available cartridges kind of sucks too, neh? 😉
dgodave is offline  
Old 04-04-22, 11:31 PM
  #14  
imi
aka Timi
 
imi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 3,096

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 58 Posts
^^^ hah! Hadn’t heard that one! dgodave
imi is offline  
Likes For imi:
Old 04-05-22, 02:31 AM
  #15  
waddo
Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Japan
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 30 Posts
Just to let you know, finding fuel is not that easy, even when you are in towns. The best bet is a "Home Centre." They are giant shops and usually have flowers/plants outside in the growing months. If I were you I would buy as many as you need when you find some so you don't have to hunt later on.
waddo is offline  
Old 04-05-22, 03:07 AM
  #16  
biker in japan
turtle speed cyclist
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: a bit south of Hiroshima, japan
Posts: 40

Bikes: Giant R3 Escape

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
I see your picture there on the wall…
sorry I mislead your post at first glance.
true that picture will definitely get on the wall. Cape Soya , Hokkaido , Japan

Been wanting to this for sometime and now I'm going.
biker in japan is offline  
Old 04-05-22, 03:10 AM
  #17  
biker in japan
turtle speed cyclist
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: a bit south of Hiroshima, japan
Posts: 40

Bikes: Giant R3 Escape

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by imi View Post
Hi, I’m planning on touring Japan hopefully in late summer/early autumn.
Can anyone recommend which type of cartridge gas is most readily available?

I have screw on valve (primus), one click (camping-gaz), and old-skool puncture stoves… or is it better with a Trangia stove (denatured alcohol)?

Thanks!
If you are looking for something very compact check this out : https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Iwatan...%2C401&sr=8-35
You can buy the fuel at most any convenient stores for a bit over 200 yen or go to Donkey Hotei and buy 3 for 269yen .
I use it all the time and gives me more room in the panniers. Comes with a water proof hard shell case.
biker in japan is offline  
Old 04-05-22, 10:21 AM
  #18  
imi
aka Timi
 
imi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 3,096

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by biker in japan View Post
If you are looking for something very compact check this out : https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Iwatan...%2C401&sr=8-35
You can buy the fuel at most any convenient stores for a bit over 200 yen or go to Donkey Hotei and buy 3 for 269yen .
I use it all the time and gives me more room in the panniers. Comes with a water proof hard shell case.
Thanks for the tip. I read the description: ”Container insertion/ejection method: push and turn (half rotation). ;Gas type: Iwatani Cassette Gas Junior, Iwatani Cassette Gas, Iwatani Cassette Gas Power Gold.”

Do you know if this is the same as the ”Easy-Clic” valve found on Camping Gaz stoves?
imi is offline  
Old 04-05-22, 04:27 PM
  #19  
biker in japan
turtle speed cyclist
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: a bit south of Hiroshima, japan
Posts: 40

Bikes: Giant R3 Escape

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by imi View Post
Thanks for the tip. I read the description: ”Container insertion/ejection method: push and turn (half rotation). ;Gas type: Iwatani Cassette Gas Junior, Iwatani Cassette Gas, Iwatani Cassette Gas Power Gold.”

Do you know if this is the same as the ”Easy-Clic” valve found on Camping Gaz stoves?

I'm not familiar with Camping Gaz stoves. But what I mention is compact and for most basic cooking and boiling needs it serves it purpose. For cycling as you noticed it is the number one seller. I should have bought it 7 years but didn't know anything about it. Got it last years and its great. If you are packing in your panniers it doesn't take up much room at all. The cannisters are about 100 yen a piece but at 7-11 you can expect to pay about 267 yen per can. Rip off, so go to Cosmos or Donkey Hotei. I guess you are in Japan?

Oh you just push in the cannister and turn the knob on about 1/4 and flick the switch and it lights up . Don't turn it full blast when you start it though, it will scare the heck out of you.LOL
biker in japan is offline  
Old 04-12-22, 12:41 AM
  #20  
biker in japan
turtle speed cyclist
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: a bit south of Hiroshima, japan
Posts: 40

Bikes: Giant R3 Escape

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Tomorrow l start my tour.
This goes on my bike.
biker in japan is offline  
Likes For biker in japan:
Old 06-13-22, 06:37 PM
  #21  
biker in japan
turtle speed cyclist
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: a bit south of Hiroshima, japan
Posts: 40

Bikes: Giant R3 Escape

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Got to Okinawa last year. Now up to Hokkaido.
Hi folks.
I'll post an update on my tour of Shimane, Tottori, Kyoto, Nara and Mie prefectures. Need to somehow figure out how to put the pictures on my computer from my Android phone.
Stay tune.
biker in japan is offline  
Likes For biker in japan:
Old 06-17-22, 11:15 AM
  #22  
polymorphself 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,662
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 379 Posts
biker in japan curious whether you're a native or not? If not, how did you end up there? (I ask having lived in Japan myself, right outside of Nagoya).
polymorphself is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.