Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

24 hour solo race

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

24 hour solo race

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-08, 03:51 PM
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
24 hour solo race

have any of you done a 24 hour solo race? i was thinking about doing one but wanted prep advice. i think it's mostly common sense but still wanted advice.

nutrition i am not worried about.

lighting:

well, i have lights, but i am thinking i would have to invest in a whole different set up. i have dinotte. they are not the fastest to swap out new batteries with. these solo guys must have to buy multiple battery packs so they can have a fresh one each lap of the night.

any tips? anything special you do with tire set-up?

mx

Last edited by mx_599; 10-12-08 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-12-08, 04:08 PM
theextremist04
Señor Member

Bikes: CAAD10CAAD10CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bring spare everything. Bring more food than you need, bring lots of variety. Bring a friend. Bring spare clothes- clean clothes make a huge difference. Don't worry about the speed of changing out batteries- I guarantee you won't want to ride the entire time. A short nap would be extremely good. Preride the course.
Old 10-12-08, 04:13 PM
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by theextremist04
Bring spare everything. Bring more food than you need, bring lots of variety. Bring a friend. Bring spare clothes- clean clothes make a huge difference. Don't worry about the speed of changing out batteries- I guarantee you won't want to ride the entire time. A short nap would be extremely good. Preride the course.
i agree about the batteries...i am not at the level where it would matter. however, if i am having a good run through the dark hours, i don't want to futz around with batteries that are a pain to strap on. i will have to investigate the water bottle type i think.

extra clothes good idea. i think i can recruit someone to help. i know the course well, it is near my place.

thanks

mx
Old 10-12-08, 04:23 PM
theextremist04
Señor Member

Bikes: CAAD10CAAD10CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make sure to bring someone that knows what they're doing- you won't be thinking straight 12 hours in. And Niterider has a good system- they have a stem/frame mount that has a single velcro strap.
Old 10-12-08, 04:26 PM
Zan

Bikes: Road: Trek 1.5 (2007). Mountain: Santa Cruz Chameleon (2008). Beater: Peugeot Recorde du Monde (1850)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
intense. good luck.

if it's wet, get extra socks and/or gloves. i've ridden with wet shorts and wet shirt, but i hate it when my hands + feet are wet.

clear lens sunglasses for when it's dark out.
Old 10-12-08, 06:02 PM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cocaine? Meth?
Old 10-12-08, 06:04 PM
ca7erham
****** (can I say this?)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Know how to convert your bike into a SS, but I'd assume you could do that. Just out of curiosity, which race are you looking to do?
Old 10-12-08, 08:25 PM
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zan
intense. good luck.

if it's wet, get extra socks and/or gloves. i've ridden with wet shorts and wet shirt, but i hate it when my hands + feet are wet.

clear lens sunglasses for when it's dark out.
it should be dry in arizona.

the glasses is another good point though....which is a pain in the %@$. i don't wear contacts and i think i should have a little bit more than my regular glasses, although they might work.

Rx sun glasses with clear or night type lens will not be cheap

mx
Old 10-12-08, 08:26 PM
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by theextremist04
Make sure to bring someone that knows what they're doing- you won't be thinking straight 12 hours in. And Niterider has a good system- they have a stem/frame mount that has a single velcro strap.
i will bring someone who is coherent.

i will check those lights. i am thinking i want a bottle battery type

mx
Old 10-12-08, 08:27 PM
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rankin116
Cocaine? Meth?
should i take these before or after caffeine pills?

mx
Old 10-12-08, 08:30 PM
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ca7erham
Know how to convert your bike into a SS, but I'd assume you could do that. Just out of curiosity, which race are you looking to do?
i should be good with most mechanical problems. i can see not having a good light to do some work in the pitch black could be a problem. probably should bring some type of "small" led light for doing repairs

there are two races nearly in my backyard...about 5 min down the road in fountain hills, az. they are at McDowell mtn park. one is a 12hr daytime ride and the other is a 24 hr.

they are not big time national races like the moab one this weekend

mx
Old 10-13-08, 08:09 AM
Zan

Bikes: Road: Trek 1.5 (2007). Mountain: Santa Cruz Chameleon (2008). Beater: Peugeot Recorde du Monde (1850)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mx_599
it should be dry in arizona.
d'oh!

the glasses is another good point though....which is a pain in the %@$. i don't wear contacts and i think i should have a little bit more than my regular glasses, although they might work.

mx
you might lose points on style, but you could just pick up a cheap pair of "goggles". get a pair of safety glasses or something. besides, it's night time - no one will see .
Old 10-13-08, 08:54 AM
rb07

Bikes: 05 Specialized Rockhopper, 70s Motobécane Grand Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
May be redundant with "bring extra everything" but extra tubes and probably even extra tires. Also, an extra powerlink and chain links.

In a 6/12 hour race this weekend (I did the 6 solo) I saw people with torn sidewalls, stuck presta valves after getting a flat, broken chains, etc. On my second lap a guy passed me who had triple flatted on his first lap -- not a great start! It was pretty amazing the number of mechanicals on the first lap (even the first 4 miles of the first lap!).

And +1 to having other people there that are not racing.
Old 10-13-08, 09:10 AM
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rb07
May be redundant with "bring extra everything" but extra tubes and probably even extra tires. Also, an extra powerlink and chain links.

In a 6/12 hour race this weekend (I did the 6 solo) I saw people with torn sidewalls, stuck presta valves after getting a flat, broken chains, etc. On my second lap a guy passed me who had triple flatted on his first lap -- not a great start! It was pretty amazing the number of mechanicals on the first lap (even the first 4 miles of the first lap!).

And +1 to having other people there that are not racing.
but do you really think i need to carry any more than i already do? we come around to the pits every 10 miles. i guess if bad things happen on trail i don't want to ruin entire event. i should never really be more than a 5 mile hike away!

mx
Old 10-13-08, 09:39 AM
rb07

Bikes: 05 Specialized Rockhopper, 70s Motobécane Grand Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carry it all and take pictures...

Not saying you need to carry all that, just have some of it available in your pit area. Things like powerlinks, chain tool, etc. should all be with you. I thought I had a powerlink to give a guy during this race, but found I only had the extra links, which obviously didn't help. And the presta ring that was stuck probably needed some pilers to get out! While I don't think I'll necessarily carry things specifically for this, it did make me aware of various things that could go wrong.

The race did have bike patrol out and about which I'm sure had to help many people.

Have you done a 12 hour before? I want to work my way up to a 12/24, but I think I'm still over a year from that! (May do a 12 hour team next year, though)
Old 10-13-08, 10:37 AM
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carry it all and take pictures...

Not saying you need to carry all that, just have some of it available in your pit area. Things like powerlinks, chain tool, etc. should all be with you. I thought I had a powerlink to give a guy during this race, but found I only had the extra links, which obviously didn't help. And the presta ring that was stuck probably needed some pilers to get out! While I don't think I'll necessarily carry things specifically for this, it did make me aware of various things that could go wrong.

The race did have bike patrol out and about which I'm sure had to help many people.

Have you done a 12 hour before? I want to work my way up to a 12/24, but I think I'm still over a year from that! (May do a 12 hour team next year, though)
thanks for advice. i will prep some of that stuff

mx
Old 10-13-08, 02:04 PM
ca7erham
****** (can I say this?)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In a 6/12 hour race this weekend (I did the 6 solo) I saw people with torn sidewalls, stuck presta valves after getting a flat, broken chains, etc. On my second lap a guy passed me who had triple flatted on his first lap -- not a great start! It was pretty amazing the number of mechanicals on the first lap (even the first 4 miles of the first lap!)..
I had the same experience at a 6 hour race I did in August. Bunch of people with flat tires, broken chains and torn side walls. The course that we raced had no rocks other than some pea gravel and people were still slicing tires, so I cant even imagine how it would be in an area with more rocks. Like he said bring spare everything. But if you really dont want to, at least bring spare chains, tubes and tires. I ended up giving a guy my spare chain because he went through the one he arrived with on the bike, then the one he had as a spare, so he had to use mine (he was running minimal chain with a short cage RD).
Edit: even if you are going SS still bring a chain. There was a guy who crashed and broke the chain on a branch. And if you are going geared bring a bunch of RD hangers.
Old 10-13-08, 03:36 PM
Everest

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 03 Gary Fisher Tassjara, Quattro Assi Scandium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You could get a pair that use RX inserts rather than lenses. That way you wouldn't have to buy multiple pairs of rx lenses but could just swap out standard lenses for different conditions.
Old 10-13-08, 03:54 PM
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Everest
You could get a pair that use RX inserts rather than lenses. That way you wouldn't have to buy multiple pairs of rx lenses but could just swap out standard lenses for different conditions.
this is true. the race is coming up...i will probably just use reg glasses. i have used them many times, even at higher speeds on the road without problem. i should be okay with them.

i really need a new check-up. i don't want to spend any money on Rx'ed stuff until i get checked again.

mx
Old 10-13-08, 04:48 PM
ProFail
Generic Title

Bikes: 2008 Trek Fuel EX7, 2007 Trek 1600, 2007 Eastern Warthog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
should i take these before or after caffeine pills?

mx
Are you kidding?

Make an 80/20 cocaine/caffeine mix. Make 20 kilos or so and down it in a week. If you point out that the lethal dose of caffeine (let alone coke) is 8g/kilo of body mass, you're just not ready to race a 24HS.
Old 10-13-08, 05:09 PM
Zan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh now i understand what you were talking about in terms of lenses. i don't have prescription eyewear - i don't think that way.

i meant sunglasses without the tint, without the prescription. i call the pieces in the sunglasses lenses too.
Old 10-13-08, 06:34 PM
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ProFail
Make an 80/20 cocaine/caffeine mix. Make 20 kilos or so and down it in a week. If you point out that the lethal dose of caffeine (let alone coke) is 8g/kilo of body mass, you're just not ready to race a 24HS.
is this the ratio that works best for you?

mx
Old 10-13-08, 06:35 PM
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zan
oh now i understand what you were talking about in terms of lenses. i don't have prescription eyewear - i don't think that way.

i meant sunglasses without the tint, without the prescription. i call the pieces in the sunglasses lenses too.
yeah, it sucks with sports. maybe i'll try that new corrective laser stuffs i hear about

mx
Old 10-13-08, 06:38 PM
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
okay, i guess it was time to put up or shut up.

i put up.

November 8th, 24 hours. i am entered. non-refundable.

i am screwed.

course is about 10 miles. i do it all the freaking time. best time is roughly 55 min. not sure how to attack this.

maybe pace myself at 1.5 to 2 hours per lap?? i would think i could do this for awhile.

now i am scared

mx
Old 10-13-08, 06:54 PM
ca7erham
****** (can I say this?)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is this the ratio that works best for you?

mx
Coco is quite pricey these days. Last time I checked it was around 110$ per gram when bought in bulk (over 100 kilos).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.