Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Roof Rack opinion

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Roof Rack opinion

Old 04-10-11, 12:41 AM
reefjockey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roof Rack opinion

Im looking to purchase a roof rack that can be installed directly to my 2010 subaru forester factory cross bar. Two racks that i found are the Yakima Forklift and the Thule Domestique 513. I cant find much reviews on the Thule

My question is.... Which among the two have a better design and quality? Also if you more information please let me know.

Looking forward to your replies.....Thanks!
Old 04-10-11, 04:46 AM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found two other racks while I was looking that get GREAT reviews...

https://www.orsracksdirect.com/inno-i...bike-rack.html
or... https://www.orsracksdirect.com/inno-i...bike-rack.html
and I went with..
https://www.orsracksdirect.com/rockym...bike-rack.html

I got the Rocky Mounts Tierod and LOVE it. The Inno comes with locks, and you'll have to buy locks for the Rocky.
Old 04-10-11, 12:09 PM
R900
Double Secret Probation

Bikes: Madone 6 series SSL, Cannondale CX9, Trek TTX, Trek 970, Trek T2000

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I think the Yakima is the best of all the factory bar systems. Thule doesn't lock to the bar, and Rocky Mounts head piece is the size of a pizza. Yakima uses a locking skewer, the rack is adaptable to many bars, and a slick design overall. I think the Thule/Yakima trays that mount to their own bars are better, but for factory bars the Yakima was my choice.
Old 04-10-11, 12:26 PM
PamolaPat

Bikes: Soma Smoothie ES running SRAM Rival

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been plenty happy with my Yakima Forklift. It's easy to install / uninstall to switch among different cars. It seems to allow a certain amount of wobbling back and forth due to the fact that the connection to the rack is through a rubber elastomer, but this doesn't bother me.

As R900 mentions, I believe the Thule, and also Rocky Mounts equivalent products can be uninstalled at any time with a torx head driver, so if somebody wanted to steal your rack they definitely could if they planned ahead. The Rocky Mounts one is particularly obvious. This is regardless of whether you've got the lock core locked or not. If you park your car on-street in a city like I do, this could be a concern. The Yakima cannot be fully uninstalled without at least hacking through some pieces of plastic (although if someone wanted to remove the sliding rear support, they could, but that's all that could be removed).

It defies me that the idea of designing a generalized mounting system to fit on any type of roof rack has taken so long to get going. Yakima and Thule really held a sort of Windows/Mac loyalty to their own square/round systems for a long time. Hopefully this intentional incompatibility will soon be a thing of the past.
Old 04-10-11, 12:26 PM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by R900
...and Rocky Mounts head piece is the size of a pizza...
It's smaller than a personal pan pizza from pizza hut and REALLY secure. With two locksets you can lock the carrier to the rack and lock the skewer closed. You can order them in sets of two, four and eight, all keyed alike. I only carry one bike, so I only ordered the pair.
Old 04-10-11, 04:04 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bassjones
It's smaller than a personal pan pizza from pizza hut and REALLY secure. With two locksets you can lock the carrier to the rack and lock the skewer closed. You can order them in sets of two, four and eight, all keyed alike. I only carry one bike, so I only ordered the pair.

Rocky Mounts Tierod gets my vote.
Old 04-10-11, 05:08 PM
solbrothers
Banned.

Bikes: Cinelli Mash

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
get a hitch and rack. there is no benefit to a roof rack and there is no downside to a hitch and rack combo
Old 04-10-11, 05:30 PM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by solbrothers
get a hitch and rack. there is no benefit to a roof rack and there is no downside to a hitch and rack combo
That is something I'd like to explore more. I have a yakima roof rack. Purchased a roof rack because that was recommended. But it decreases fuel economy, increases height, harder to attach and remove the rack and having my bike up there makes me nervous (I keep waiting for it to fly off).

However with a hitch mount getting in the trunk can be a bit of a pain, and I worry about getting rearended. Plus with a roof rack it is more easily transferred to another vehicle (depending on the rack fittings).
HOWEVER, having said all that, if I had my time back, I would have bought a hitch mount.

But knowing me if I bought a hitch mount I'd probably want a roof rack.
Old 04-10-11, 05:34 PM
midgetmaestro 

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's another thread like this on the first page....

Paraphrased from my post in that thread:

I highly recommend the Inno 381 rack. I am thoroughly impressed with the quality in terms of both workmanship and materials. The locking head actually locks over both skewer, AND two of the four main bolts that hold the rack on. Unless there is a very motivated thief trying to steal your bike, you'll be fine. I installed this on my '01 Subaru Outback with factory roof rails and crossbars
Old 04-10-11, 10:44 PM
reefjockey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all your inputs... i think im leaning towards the yakima.
Old 04-11-11, 07:14 AM
3kmi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by solbrothers
Except for when you get rear ended and your pride and joy gets destroyed