Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shoe color and foot temp

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Shoe color and foot temp

Old 07-22-21, 07:09 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
You tried yet wearing one of each on your rides for science?
No, since one pair has Shimano SPD-SL cleats and the other is Wahoo Speedplay. I would have to swap over one pedal, and then I'd probably get confused, and just fall over at a stop.
Old 07-22-21, 07:53 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
You need to calculate the percentage difference using the Kelvin temperature scale. Eg. 80 degree vs. 81 degrees Fahrenheit would be about a .2% difference.

That's helpful. By that reasoning, your head could be 50˚ hotter but it's only 10% difference so no biggie.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 07-22-21, 08:12 PM
Stanley1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I appreciate the question. I get hot spots on the bottom of my feet, and I note that they come more frequently when it is hot outside. I wear black shoes and have never pondered the possibility of having "cooler" shoes.
Old 07-22-21, 08:26 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Stanley1
I appreciate the question. I get hot spots on the bottom of my feet, and I note that they come more frequently when it is hot outside. I wear black shoes and have never pondered the possibility of having "cooler" shoes.
I make it a point to only buy shoes with good bottom ventilation. If there are no vents in the bottom I look elsewhere. Not sure what shoes you are riding but you might look into something like a Pearl Izumi Quest - I'm happy with mine. The ventilation is good but I'm sure there are better options for more money.

Oh, and it comes in black or white
Old 07-22-21, 09:26 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Insoles also can make a world of difference. For example, I like to use Profoot Care Miracle insoles (https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/pr...400003-product) - they are nice as far as foot comfort but they make shoes much warmer - this is very good in winter but not nearly so much in summer.
Old 07-23-21, 06:28 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
That's helpful. By that reasoning, your head could be 50˚ hotter but it's only 10% difference so no biggie.
Describing temperature differences by percentages is not helpful. Knowing something is 50 degrees hotter would be helpful, and even more helpful if you know which temperature scale is being used. Though if my head increased in temperature by 50 degrees, I don't think I'd care about any of this.
Old 07-23-21, 06:46 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Black objects absorb more heat that's for sure, but I am not sure if you can actually notice the difference when pedaling on a bike in movement since the wind dissipates a lot of it.
Old 07-23-21, 06:53 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,713 Times in 2,911 Posts
As it happens I have 2 pairs of identical bike shoes - one white pair, one black pair. I don't notice any difference in foot temperature.

Black socks and white shoes is a legit combination - I've seen pro teams do it recently, so must be allowed.

What I'm now wondering is could I mix and match my black and white shoes? White on right, black on left? Perhaps with contrasting socks?

I definitely don't wear dark coloured jerseys in really hot weather. I think that would make a significant difference due to the relatively large surface area.
Old 07-23-21, 07:31 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,740 Posts
You need to calculate the percentage difference using the Kelvin temperature scale. Eg. 80 degree vs. 81 degrees Fahrenheit would be about a .2% difference.
For cooling purposes, the important factor is the absolute difference between the object's temperature and the ambient temperature (ΔT). Temperature units don't matter, as long as they are consistent.

Heat transfer = (some constant I just made up) * ΔT

Old 07-23-21, 07:50 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by eduskator
Black objects absorb more heat that's for sure, but I am not sure if you can actually notice the difference when pedaling on a bike in movement since the wind dissipates a lot of it.
I think a mitigating factor though is also for this reason, meaning that black objects can pull off more heat from what they're resting on. As a thought exercise, if you wear a base layer under a jersey, and you want a cooling (not a thermal) effect, are you better off wearing a black or white base layer?
Old 07-23-21, 08:24 AM
PeteHski

I think a mitigating factor though is also for this reason, meaning that black objects can pull off more heat from what they're resting on. As a thought exercise, if you wear a base layer under a jersey, and you want a cooling (not a thermal) effect, are you better off wearing a black or white base layer?
Are you saying that black objects conduct more heat than white objects? I’m not sure they do, but haven’t given it much thought before.
Old 07-23-21, 09:55 AM
woodcraft

A brief search suggests that while black objects reflect less light, and so absorb more, which is converted to heat,

there is much less difference in the reflectivity of colors in the infrared (heat) range, so the statement above is not true, or barely true.
Old 07-23-21, 10:17 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Are you saying that black objects conduct more heat than white objects? I’m not sure they do, but haven’t given it much thought before.
Originally Posted by woodcraft
A brief search suggests that while black objects reflect less light, and so absorb more, which is converted to heat,

there is much less difference in the reflectivity of colors in the infrared (heat) range, so the statement above is not true, or barely true.
I believe that he's referencing a study that showed that birds with black feathers dissipated heat more quickly, provided there was a breeze.
Old 07-23-21, 10:37 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9530 Post(s)
Liked 6,272 Times in 3,459 Posts
All I've learned from this thread is that I prolly shouldn't buy white shoes.
Old 07-23-21, 10:51 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Yeah, I guess so. Honestly I don't think much there's much in it.. Try wading through this for an answer :-)
https://www.wired.com/story/should-y...eres-the-data/

It might suggest for example, that a beanie (if you wear a skull cap, designed like this might be more ideal than all white or all black. The black part is already blocked by the sun because it's under the solid part of a helmet shell, and can pull more heat off your forehead and back of you head, while the white part is reflecting sun thru the vents.

Old 07-23-21, 11:02 AM
woodcraft

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I believe that he's referencing a study that showed that birds with black feathers dissipated heat more quickly, provided there was a breeze.

Feathered shoes and cycling clothing is an under-considered area for thermodynamic and aerodynamic gains.

This article is interesting: https://royalsocietypublishing.org/d...rstb.2016.0345

"the thermal effects of colour depend as much on absorptance of near-infrared ((NIR), 700–2500 nm) as visible (300–700 nm) wavelengths of direct sunlight; yet the NIR is very rarely considered or measured. The few available data on NIR reflectance in animals indicate that the visible reflectance is often a poor predictor of NIR reflectance."
Old 07-23-21, 11:09 AM
PeteHski

Yeah, I guess so. Honestly I don't think much there's much in it.. Try wading through this for an answer :-)
https://www.wired.com/story/should-y...eres-the-data/

It might suggest for example, that a beanie (if you wear a skull cap, designed like this might be more ideal than all white or all black. The black part is already blocked by the sun because it's under the solid part of a helmet shell, and can pull more heat off your forehead and back of you head, while the white part is reflecting sun thru the vents.

Your link seems to suggest that white clothing doesn't reflect heat back to your body any more or less than black. It doesn't actually say anything about heat conduction (as opposed to heat radiation) from your shirt directly touching your skin. I would be surprised if colour had any effect on heat conduction. But it's not something I've studied.
Old 07-23-21, 11:13 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Your link seems to suggest that white clothing doesn't reflect heat back to your body any more or less than black. It doesn't actually say anything about heat conduction (as opposed to heat radiation) from your shirt directly touching your skin. I would be surprised if colour had any effect on heat conduction. But it's not something I've studied.
You're right, I should read more closely. There is mention that loose fitting black clothing could introduce a chimney effect (and the bedouin black clothing rationale). But this isn't a MTB forum so probably irrelevant.
Old 07-23-21, 11:21 AM
PeteHski

You're right, I should read more closely. There is mention that loose fitting black clothing could introduce a chimney effect (and the bedouin black clothing rationale). But this isn't a MTB forum so probably irrelevant.
Yeah I did see that part about really baggy clothing and the chimney effect. Maybe relevant for camel racing?
Old 07-23-21, 12:25 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Years ago, I did some thermal testing of white vs black helmets under simulated sunlight.

With air moving at 5mph, the white helmet was 1.5ºF above ambient.

Under the same conditions, the black helmet was 2.5ºF above ambient.

Conclusion: As long as the air is moving even slightly, the white-black temperature difference is not significant.
What is this "simulated sunlight" you speak of? Do you ever cycle under it? Also, do you never come to a stop at any time during a ride?

The skin of a polar bear is actually black. The black skin allows them to absorb more UV light to stay warm.

https://thewonderofscience.com/pheno...actually-black
Old 07-23-21, 01:14 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,740 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
What is this "simulated sunlight" you speak of?
It was a broad spectrum tungsten lamp.

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Do you ever cycle under it?
Obviously not, why ask a smartass question that you know the answer to? I set the irradiance at the helmet surface to be that of a helmet worn outdoors in sunlight.

Also, do you never come to a stop at any time during a ride?
Again with the smartass question. Like most cyclists, I spend almost no time on a bike ride standing around, so I did not bother to measure the temperature with zero air flow. It's called a bike ride, not a stand around.

The skin of a polar bear [/color]is actually black. The black skin allows them to absorb more UV light to stay warm.
Whoever wrote that has scant knowledge of solar irradiance. At Earth's surface, only a tiny fraction of solar energy is in the UV spectrum.

Last edited by terrymorse; 07-23-21 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-23-21, 01:42 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
It was a broad spectrum tungsten lamp.
Thanks. I asked because obviously all lights are not the same, and none are the sun. So a test may have any amount of relevance to the actual sunlight we ride in.

Like most cyclists I notice that when I stop is when I feel the heat the most... like when waiting at a traffic light. I much prefer my helmet to not heat up as much during these overheating moments. White helps.
Old 07-26-21, 11:57 AM
stuff shredman

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Tarmac - Sagan Edition /// 2016 Intense Tracer T275C ///

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 28 Posts
My feet do get really hot on hot SoCal days. I can feel tremendous heat radiating off the blacktop on these days. I wonder if much of the heat is coming from below. I'll try a test where I put white duct tape on the bottom of one shoe (not covering the vents) and see if it make a difference. I do notice that the water in my black water bottles heats up significantly faster than the water in my white water bottles on these days
Old 07-26-21, 01:11 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Pavement temp was 133 after our ride Saturday. I'm thinking the heat is traveling up from my feet to under my helmet, trying to drown me in sweat.
Old 07-26-21, 02:17 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by stuff shredman
I do notice that the water in my black water bottles heats up significantly faster than the water in my white water bottles on these days
This could be another scintillating debate.. would a clear water bottle let the sun just pass on thru and keep your water even cooler than using a white water bottle?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.