Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Who made my Univega!!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Who made my Univega!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-06, 07:09 PM
russdog63

Bikes: Holdsworth Professional(1984), Medici Pro Strada (mid 80's), Team Raliegh 753 (special build 1987?), Univega Ultraleggera (early 90's or late 80's)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Who made my Univega!!

I hope I can channel the vast knowledge in this forum. I need help I.D.ing my Univega Ultraleggera. It is made with Tange Prestige oversized .8/.5/.8 MTB tubing and has Shimano Dropouts on both the front fork and rear. It is fillet brazed and the seat tube flares out to a visibly larger diameter at the bottom bracket. The serial number is AL91050903 if that helps.

It really is one nice piece of Japanese steel. I have seen some 3Rensho frames that bear an uncanny resemblance with oversized fillet brazed tubes and one piece narrow steep shouldered forks. Those were track frames however. I have searched the web and found no info on this frame. I hope T-Mar might have some info.
Old 12-17-06, 02:32 AM
blickblocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like to find out more info on Univega bikes in general, but it's been difficult finding any info online.
Old 12-17-06, 12:05 PM
Skip Magnuson
SkipM

Bikes: Italvega 1971, Italvega 1972 SuperSpeciale, Holdsworth Mistral 1983.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From Sheldon Brown:

Univega
A brand name of Lawee, Inc., former importer of Motobécane. Most of their Japanese bikes were made for them by Miyata.

Univega was one of the first major companies to market mountain bikes in the early '80s, with their Alpina series.

Univega is later a division of Derby, along with Nishiki and Raleigh, but the Univega and Nishiki brand names were retired in 2001 so that Derby could concentrate on it's Raleigh brand.
Old 12-19-06, 07:53 PM
russdog63

Bikes: Holdsworth Professional(1984), Medici Pro Strada (mid 80's), Team Raliegh 753 (special build 1987?), Univega Ultraleggera (early 90's or late 80's)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow I didn't know Univega info was that to hard to come by. 89 looks at this thread and only two responses. I have already that info from Sheldon Brown but thanks for the info,anyway Skip. I know Miyata has built Univega frames but who else has?
Old 12-20-06, 08:45 PM
blickblocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by russdog63
Wow I didn't know Univega info was that to hard to come by. 89 looks at this thread and only two responses. I have already that info from Sheldon Brown but thanks for the info,anyway Skip. I know Miyata has built Univega frames but who else has?
No idea, my frame was made in Taiwan.
Old 12-20-06, 09:00 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Skip Magnuson
From Sheldon Brown:
Univega is later a division of Derby, along with Nishiki and Raleigh, but the Univega and Nishiki brand names were retired in 2001 so that Derby could concentrate on it's Raleigh brand.
I will never understand some of the marketing decisions cycling companies make. From what I have read on the forums, both Nishiki and Univega are respected names that made quality bikes. Raleigh makes a fine bike, but one would think they could have expanded their sales by keeping the other two lines, especially Nishiki.
No, I'll never understand this.
PS, thanks Skip and Sheldon for the information
Old 12-20-06, 09:21 PM
blickblocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
I will never understand some of the marketing decisions cycling companies make. From what I have read on the forums, both Nishiki and Univega are respected names that made quality bikes. Raleigh makes a fine bike, but one would think they could have expanded their sales by keeping the other two lines, especially Nishiki.
No, I'll never understand this.
PS, thanks Skip and Sheldon for the information
Univega and Nishiki are still current brands, just go to their sites!
Old 12-21-06, 05:12 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by blickblocks
Univega and Nishiki are still current brands, just go to their sites!
Yup! You're right, they are still available in Europe. My error, (and I knew that about Nishiki). What I should have said is they're not actively available in the US. There used to be a guy on ebay selling, supposedly, new 04 Nishiki, low end, road bikes. But that source has dried up as well.
So I'll modify my previous post and state, I don't know why they aren't marketing Nishiki and Univega in the US. Nothing against Raleigh, but I would think multiple brands would buy Derby more floor space not to mention experimenting with more equipment combinations to see what sells. Guess I'm not up on the latest bicycle marketing techniques.
Thanks for catching my error.
Old 12-21-06, 05:27 PM
peripatetic

Bikes: All 70s and 80s, only steel.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For info on Univegas, wait for T-Mar, PM him, or do a comprehensive BF search. A lot of people have 'em and love 'em; I've got two that I can't let go of.
Old 12-21-06, 05:40 PM
spry

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by russdog63
I learned in this forum that Ishiwata sold frames to Univega.I own an Ishiwata frame with Suntour"The Edge" group,and it is a very light Chromoly frame.From the Nashbar stickers plastered all over it,I assumed it was a kit bike from 1989.The frame on my Univega Maxima Sport has no frame tag but is much heavier.I agree though that the Univega is a quality cycle.
Enjoy the Holidays,
Dan