Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campy shift lever question.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-06, 11:56 AM
Skip Magnuson
SkipM

Bikes: Italvega 1971, Italvega 1972 SuperSpeciale, Holdsworth Mistral 1983.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I asked the following questions in the "Mechanics" section and only got "the threads are probably the same" which didn't help much. Does anyone here know?

Is there a difference between the Campagnolo friction adjustment wing nuts between a frame mounted and a bracket mounted downtube shift lever? It would appear I need a wing nut instead of a wing stud for my bracket mount - am I correct? The bike is a 1975 Holdsworth. Thanks.
Old 12-17-06, 01:29 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 1,406 Posts
Part 604/1, called the "Friction adjusting wing nut" in the catalog is interchangeable between the braze-on and clamp-on downtube shifters. If that is what you are referring to, if not, pictures could help.

They can be purchased here
(be sure to check in their Spares link)
https://www.campyoldy.co.uk/stocklist.htm

or here
https://www.cyclart.com/pdf/Sale%20Report.pdf
Old 12-17-06, 01:59 PM
coelcanth
hunter, gatherer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
they are the same... they are both 'studs' or bolts or screws or whateva
if you are going from band-on to braze-on, you might need the washers and stops, however
(by the way, I'm looking for a washer or two, since it seems you are going in the other direction...)

edit/pic for an idea:

Last edited by coelcanth; 12-17-06 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-17-06, 09:59 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Yes, Campag. downtube levers take "wingbolts," which are commonly mislabeled "wingnuts." It's sort of like owning a late model VW/Audi, which uses lugbolts, which lots of folks erroneously call "lugnuts."
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-18-06, 07:17 AM
splytz1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by coelcanth
(by the way, I'm looking for a washer or two, since it seems you are going in the other direction...)

edit/pic for an idea:
FYI, the plastic washers are called Delrin washers (I believe they're made out of delrin plastic). I was in a similar boat. I found a set of cheap, NOS Victory or Triomphe downtube shifters off Ebay to get the washers, as far as I can tell they're not sold at Loose Screws or anything. Fortunately, they were compatible with my nuovo record shifters and I haven't looked back since.
Old 12-18-06, 01:40 PM
coelcanth
hunter, gatherer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well.. i was looking for some steel washers as used on the slightly earlier shift levers to match the one i already have..
but the plastic washers are the same size and also interchangeable with lots of other shifters like suntour, etc...

Originally Posted by splytz1
FYI, the plastic washers are called Delrin washers (I believe they're made out of delrin plastic). I was in a similar boat. I found a set of cheap, NOS Victory or Triomphe downtube shifters off Ebay to get the washers, as far as I can tell they're not sold at Loose Screws or anything. Fortunately, they were compatible with my nuovo record shifters and I haven't looked back since.
Old 12-18-06, 02:47 PM
MajikMan
Hirsuite moustache'd

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert, ~1995 Cannondale F500, 1984 Peugeot PSVN (fixie converstion)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still, for the life of me, can't figure out how to tell the difference between Campag shift levers. Actually, that's the case for me with most of their parts, but the levers in particular.
Old 12-21-06, 04:07 PM
Skip Magnuson
SkipM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a correspondance I received:
"The originalCampy shift levers(startingabout 1955), whether brazed to the frame or clamped-on,usedathreaded male screw(wing nut, D-ring screw, etc).* Beginning in the 1960sCampy introducedthe lower-priced Sport and Gran Sportshifters, which had the male threaded stud mounted, and used a large diameter round internally threaded wheel (or nut)."

There is a difference between nuts and bolts (studs). A nut has internal threads and a bolt (stud) has external threads. I'm looking for Campy nuts. Thanks for the responses. Skip
Old 12-21-06, 04:55 PM
coelcanth
hunter, gatherer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes the nuovo gran sport had the knurled type adjusters..
but i didn't think they made any braze-on type shifters of this sort

i'm not sure i understand what your question is...
Old 12-21-06, 10:24 PM
Skip Magnuson
SkipM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Coelcanth,
I think my question was "Did the Campy downtube shifters have two types of friction adjustment knobs?" And I think the answer is yes and I think the braze-on type shifters had a nut brazed onto the frame so the adjustment "nut" was actually a stud with a cap and the clamp-on shifter came in two flavors: a nut and a stud on the clamp-on part - the nut required the stud (with cap) and the stud required a knurled type tension adjuster.