Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Holdsworth help with date and model

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-07, 02:44 PM
ronp6

Bikes: Seven Cycles ID8 & steel Axiom; Bridgestones: MB-1, RB-T, XO-1, '85 Orange Gran Velo; electrics: Bionx, Swytch, Eflow Nitro; Merlin early MB; Raleigh Twenty & a lot of comings and goings

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I searched and read all the threads and looked at the terrific Holdsworth history site https://homepage.ntlworld.com/nkilgariff/. I was told a bike I just acquired was an early 80's Mistral but the bike has no model name on the top tube and is all double butted 531 including forks and stays while the Mistral was not in that timeframe. The wheelbase measures 40" which is more like the race bikes than the Mistral which was more of a touring bike in the early 80's. The bike is all Campy NR except for the wheels one of which was changed and the other was missing but it originally came with sew-ups. The bike is quite light and not just because of the missing wheel. The fork blades and chain stays are more round than Raleigh's high end bikes of the time.

The serial number is 041335 and above the number it has an 8. The bike is silver with white transfers and looks exactly like pictures of the Nuovo Record in the 1982 or the NR Professional in the 1978.

Any knowledge others have gained would be very appreciated.
Old 11-04-07, 05:38 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 783 Posts
Maybe Skip Magnusen will see this and respond...he's been making a Holdsworth serial number database. In any case, pictures would be helpful (beating East Hill to it).
Old 11-04-07, 07:54 PM
ronp6

Bikes: Seven Cycles ID8 & steel Axiom; Bridgestones: MB-1, RB-T, XO-1, '85 Orange Gran Velo; electrics: Bionx, Swytch, Eflow Nitro; Merlin early MB; Raleigh Twenty & a lot of comings and goings

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hate to take pictures of a bike before I fix it up or at least clean it. It is like showing pictures of it in its underwear but here are a few pictures if they work:
https://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...0AYsWLNi4bN2NA

Old 11-04-07, 09:06 PM
intheshop

Bikes: Basso, Holdsworth Nouvo Record, Italvega Nuovo Record, Gitane TdF, Bridgestone (700, RB-2), Shogun tour, Univega Sportour, Raleigh Competition

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the same bike, or frame at least. It is an 82 Nuovo Record available as a frame as listed in the 1982 catalog you mentioned. I purchased mine from the original owner (from England) that built and used it as a race bike. I believe that model was available for only one year. Mine has the tange headset and the rest is Campy/Ofmega/Galli as built up at the time. The serial number is 8 over 041356 (not far apart). It is a great riding bike, smooth and quick but not twitchy. My Holdsworth has been off the road for a year due to an accident that dented the top tube and put it out of alignment. Yours looks like it will clean up nicely, and it is well worth the rebuild. I have a number of old rides and rated that bike near the top.
Old 11-04-07, 09:11 PM
ronp6

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The bike may be older than it looks. The NR rear derailleur has "Patent 1973" on it and the cranks do not have the diamond with the date in the center that started in 1973. The graphics on the bike are unlike any in the early 70's and the bike doesn't look like it has been repainted. The wheel and freewheel are not original to the bike and I don't believe the Cineli stem and bars are original either. Is there something else I should be looking for? Ron
Old 11-04-07, 09:17 PM
Skip Magnuson
SkipM

Bikes: Italvega 1971, Italvega 1972 SuperSpeciale, Holdsworth Mistral 1983.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Ronp6,
Every time I see a Holdsworth serial number, I add it to my data base, I have a bit over 50 now and need to give the DB some attention. Your s/n 041335 according to the numbers I have collected place it between 035267 (1981 a Special) and 047637 (1983 also a Special). My 1983 Mistral is s/n 062734. I also have a s/n 041150 (1983 - orange color) which is fairly close to your s/n. My Mistral is 62 cm, Met. Maroon - I haven't mastered inserting the big pictures in the forum but I can send you a picture of mine if you PM me your email address. I displayed my last year in the Seattle Bike Expo but it is ridden and is complete with scratches and chips - but looks nice.
Skip Magnuson
Spokane, WA
Old 11-04-07, 09:20 PM
ronp6

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Intheshop- Thanks! I couldn't ask for a closer match for a serial number. I was concerned about the age when I saw the dates on the derailleur. The headset on mine is indeed a Tange and the catalogs only list that in the 80's so that is good confirmation.

I do have a couple of cosmetic dents in the top tube, too bad about yours. Sheldon Brown mentioned on his site that he straightened the Reynolds tubing on a Raleigh International that was out of line with a practice swing of the hammer on a piece of lumber. It couldn't hurt to try.

Thanks again for you help.
Ron
Old 11-04-07, 10:10 PM
ronp6

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Skip,

Thanks PM sent!

Ron
Old 11-09-07, 11:29 PM
cadillacmike68
Campy NR / SR forever

Bikes: 1977-78 Raleigh Professional - bought new, 1987 Shogun 400 (for the lady)

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
That's not a 70s bike. Holdsworths from the 70s had a rivetted on headbadge. I still miis my old mistral or pro (never did figure out what it was - it was their team colors pumpkin and blue).
Old 11-09-07, 11:53 PM
ronp6

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, with help the bike was determined to be a 1982 Nuovo Record. It is a fairly rare model and should make a great bike once I pick out some wheels for it. I saw you have a Raleigh Pro. I am hoping to get mine out on a pair of clinchers this weekend. It has been sitting too long. Sad to say but the tubulars aren't safe to ride.

The Shogun is a nice bike also. I gave a friend a 600 that has the same frame as your 400 only the components were different. Ron
Old 11-11-07, 03:59 PM
Fixedwheelnut

Bikes: Ron Cooper fixed audax, Holdsworth Monsoon fixed, Falcon hack fixed, Graham Weigh 531 24 speed, plus others in bits.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This guy doesn't take e-mails anymore but there is enough imformation there to generally date most Holdsworths
https://homepage.ntlworld.com/nkilgariff/
Old 01-14-09, 07:34 AM
nuovo_record

Bikes: Denti Scheggia, 1974 holdsworth super mistral as a single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just read the post - i'm new to the forum.
i myself own a nuovo record. 1982 model and it's rare top end. apparently the difference between these and the pro is the headset
mine's in black and was my hack back for quite afew years. i will dig out my serial number tonight, but from memory it seems close to yours...
Old 01-14-09, 08:42 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
I have a 1973 Super Mistral #69559 that was custom made for me as a Christmas gift from my parents when I was 16. I believe this model referred to the their top of the line customs.
Old 01-14-09, 09:35 AM
nuovo_record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
I have a 1973 Super Mistral #69559 that was custom made for me as a Christmas gift from my parents when I was 16. I believe this model referred to the their top of the line customs.
i've just rescued a holdsworth frame #41310 from about 1974 / 75 (according to the holdsworth expert)
but the serial number is a lot lower than your. i wonder how the numbers work
does yours have the chromed rear triangle with campag dropouts, and the sloping head chromed forks?
would like some pictures to compare it to mine if you have any....email please?
not sure if it's a mistral or super - definately not a fastback version though
Old 01-14-09, 11:27 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by nuovo_record
i've just rescued a holdsworth frame #41310 from about 1974 / 75 (according to the holdsworth expert)
but the serial number is a lot lower than your. i wonder how the numbers work
does yours have the chromed rear triangle with campag dropouts, and the sloping head chromed forks?
would like some pictures to compare it to mine if you have any....email please?
not sure if it's a mistral or super - definately not a fastback version though
I remember filling out a form and specifying everything about the frame - angles, fork type, chrome, color, decals etc and components - Cinelli bars and stem, 5-speed NR, Super Champion Medaille D'Or rims, and Unicantor saddle. The best of everything at the time. I rode it a lot when young and had to repaint it a few times. It is now apart waiting for warm weather so that I can apply a new set of decals and clear coat. It has the fastback seat stays, Cinelli-style fork crown, and I opted for half-chrome (not full) stays and fork. The chrome is pretty much gone and painted over.
Old 01-14-09, 02:04 PM
nuovo_record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've heard from a friend that he bought it in 1978.....the frame is a super mistral but the chromed forks aren't. doesn't matter
Old 01-14-09, 02:07 PM
nuovo_record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my nuovo record #41366 so it's quite close to the above 2.
black with the tange headset. i'll never part with it.....