Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My new-to-me Davidson Impulse...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-07, 09:15 PM
Antipodes
Who cares, just ride it!

Bikes: 1992ish Davidson Impulse, 1981 Apollo Gran Sport SS, 2006 Salsa Las Cruces, 2010 Soma Double Cross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Come December 1st, I will be the recipient of this fine piece of steel:

Davidson Impulse w/ Campy Record headset and BB.
65cm seat tube and 61 top tube. This will be perfect for all of my 193cm, as my 62cm bikes are definitely a little on the small side, and my winter beater 67cm Norco Avanti SL is admittedly too big.
Cyclotoine the good man organised it all for me and is bringing it over when he moves here late Nov/early Dec.
Any suggestions for parts donations to this handcrafted beauty will be much appreciated...

-Leigh
Old 11-14-07, 09:34 PM
Skip Magnuson
SkipM

Bikes: Italvega 1971, Italvega 1972 SuperSpeciale, Holdsworth Mistral 1983.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice looking frame - The Davidson is a great bike.
Skip Magnuson
Spokane, WA
Old 11-14-07, 09:41 PM
TMB
Permanent Refugee .......

Bikes: Steel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lovely bike.

Funny you post this, one of the regulars over on the Serotta forum posted recently about the same thing

https://www.serotta.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35481

Let me know when you get it what you may be needing. I have a large and growing stash of parts that is threatening to take over my garage and I am just about to take another couple of bikes apart and possibly (!) sell (!) the frames.

Very nice indeed.
Old 11-14-07, 09:55 PM
TimJ

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice bike.

I was in that guy's shop just last week. He's got a big collection of really cool bikes, a lot of english builders if I recall and some cool stuff of his like a fixed gear racing tandem, I think it was. Cool find.
Old 11-14-07, 09:58 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
I took a closer look to discover the BB is in fact Athena. I don't think that was a deal make or breaker though. OCB has lots of nice campy cranks right now including some 110BCD triples. Only problem is they are a little pricey... like $100 no rings or $125 for a set of Athena's with rings... maybe you can get a recyclistas discount, I dunno...

Edit: I have a ton of parts also, so we can have a look through my stash for the build.

Last edited by cyclotoine; 11-14-07 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-14-07, 09:59 PM
TMB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimJ
Nice bike.

I was in that guy's shop just last week. He's got a big collection of really cool bikes, a lot of english builders if I recall and some cool stuff of his like a fixed gear racing tandem, I think it was. Cool find.
What shop is it??
Old 11-14-07, 10:16 PM
TimJ

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by waytoomanybikes
What shop is it??
Elliot Bay cycles on Western near... I dunno, you can look it up. It's a small shop and doesn't have cool old parts or anything like that, in fact they don't seem to stock hardly any parts. But they got super-cool bikes hanging up.
Old 11-14-07, 10:19 PM
TMB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Elliot Bay cycles on Western near... I dunno, you can look it up. It's a small shop and doesn't have cool old parts or anything like that, in fact they don't seem to stock hardly any parts. But they got super-cool bikes hanging up.
Didn't realize it was Elliott Bay, been there many times.
Old 11-15-07, 12:45 AM
Antipodes
Who cares, just ride it!

Bikes: 1992ish Davidson Impulse, 1981 Apollo Gran Sport SS, 2006 Salsa Las Cruces, 2010 Soma Double Cross

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
I took a closer look to discover the BB is in fact Athena. I don't think that was a deal make or breaker though. OCB has lots of nice campy cranks right now including some 110BCD triples. Only problem is they are a little pricey... like $100 no rings or $125 for a set of Athena's with rings... maybe you can get a recyclistas discount, I dunno...

Edit: I have a ton of parts also, so we can have a look through my stash for the build.
Admittedly, I'm not super keen on the looks of modern Campy cranks. Hopefully I can get my Super Record 175mm crankset to work with that BB. Retrogrouch? Yeah, maybe a little...but they look sooo good. Maybe I'll remove the anodising on them...
Old 11-15-07, 01:42 AM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Leigh30
Admittedly, I'm not super keen on the looks of modern Campy cranks. Hopefully I can get my Super Record 175mm crankset to work with that BB. Retrogrouch? Yeah, maybe a little...but they look sooo good. Maybe I'll remove the anodising on them...
Nein, I assume the athena is 111mm, but I'll have to check, you need a 114.5mm record BB. I have to have a look see, I may have a BB that will work, if not cups, at least the spindle.

If you are going with old campy on this rig, I can help
Old 11-15-07, 10:31 AM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great frame. You will love it.
Old 11-15-07, 04:57 PM
melville

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
The super cool bikes hanging up either belong to one of the owners (not Bill Davidson--last I knew he had only one bike!) or are on consignment.

The cool old parts thing is slim pickings because the shop only opened in 1983 (Davidson had been building for 10 years before that) and unlike other 'pro' shops, they actually sold the stuff and moved the inventory. I worked there in the early 90s, about when the OP's frame was made (1 1/8 top tube, pattern of decals) and at that point, because even Campy was starting to change stuff every year, most high end stuff was ordered per build. The suppliers usually beat the frame shop in getting stuff to us.

I'm guessing the OP's 65cm is center to center. Looks like what we sold as a 66cm (only even sizes over 60cm). Nice score! My Stiletto (crit model) and custom track frame are the best bikes I will ever own.

Later

Mel
Old 11-15-07, 05:02 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice stuff Looks like its gonna be a killer ride