Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How Fast Does Your Chain Wear?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

How Fast Does Your Chain Wear?

Old 04-05-22, 04:30 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Well, if anyone could bend a pulley I suppose it would be you! As so many others have, I encourage you to build a relationship with a shop that has even a minimally competent mechanic. Your bike will love you for it.
Thank you for the advice. That is good advice and totally worth considering.

As for you, I encourage you to continue focusing on your phycological health in a beneficial manner, so that you don't need to let out your emotional anger on others.Its never too late to channel your energy towards your own benefit, rather than as an excuse to temporary alleviate your sorrows.
Old 04-05-22, 07:31 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture

As for you, I encourage you to continue focusing on your phycological health in a beneficial manner, so that you don't need to let out your emotional anger on others.Its never too late to channel your energy towards your own benefit, rather than as an excuse to temporary alleviate your sorrows.
Thank you Dr Moisty! If your phycological credentials are a match for your cycling expertise I'm in good hands!
Old 04-05-22, 07:38 PM
Koyote

Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture

You want shelbyfv to focus on his algae's health? Are we sure he has a fish tank?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-05-22, 07:54 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
K, thanks for clarifying. I knew Moisty had come up with a really big word. Scientific, maybe medical. No fish tank but I do have a good crop of toenail fungus. I wonder if that's what keeps me from generating enough power to bend my pulleys?
Old 04-17-22, 11:25 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by Iride01
On an e-bike, I might suspect that you are pulling off from stops or accelerating hard when in too high a gear ratio. The additional help an e-bike motor provides seems like it could easily hide the fact you are in too high a gear ratio and putting a lot of stress on things that can't handle the stress
actually - yes.. you're right. Even for a bike that is 55 pounds, with super relaxed geometry and huge diameter wheels for stability, the bike has pretty good acceleration and can sustain a fair bit of power output in the higher gears for just a simple, 250W output motor.

While I did try to be sparing with the amount of assist I use, I still enjoyed the boost from a dead stop and would often crank up the assistance before hills lazily instead of shifting down, maintaining higher speeds, in unnecessarily high gears while relying on boost, not keeping my drivetrain clean enough, etc. I was reasonably frugal, but after changing my chain I've become much more reasonable. I reckon I can get much better life out of the chain this time.
Old 04-17-22, 11:27 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

I would also enjoy ripping through the gears to get up to speed while riding the boost which put alot of extra stress on the entire drivetrain, including the motor. I found that I would mostly be using the smaller cogs in the rear cassette as a result. Now, I use more range from the gears . This bike isn't for entertainment in design or my real world application... So I stopped doing that as well.
Old 04-17-22, 12:15 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
This question needs at least two more qualifying pieces of information. One where do you ride, like if you ride in the dirt on a mountain bike, and the dreaded how do you lube and maintain your chain.

As I have posted before, I ride my recumbent only on hard surface roads or trail. I lube my chain with Mobile 1 and wipe the chain down before every ride. Checking with both a chain wear tool and a steel rule, I get right at 8000 miles on my chains.
Old 04-17-22, 01:08 PM
Tawraste666

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
My chains (x2) have 3000 miles on them. They show no significant signs of wear.
I clean them a lot.
Every 8 miles - wipe down.
Every 60 miles - clean and rewax. Cog cleaned and reapply ACF-50. Strip chainrings and clean. Clean crank. Clean and regrease jockey wheels.

Keep it shiny. It will last.