Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Why is my tube patch cracking?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-28-22, 07:17 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts

I patched up a few tubes maybe 6 months ago and hanged them up in the garage. Today I tried using one of them and the tire patch is dry-cracked and leaking air:

what could have caused this? This is a Rema patch.
Old 05-28-22, 07:22 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
That's really odd. I haven't seen that before. Is that a Rema patch, and did you use vulcanizing fluid?

Update: BTW, did you spread vulcanizing fluid over the patch?

--

Last edited by drlogik; 05-28-22 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-28-22, 07:23 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Is the tube fairly narrow for the tire/rim section volume? How old was the patch kit? Andy

At first glance it looks like a patch rubber that has dried out and when installed in the tire a rather narrow tube expanded past the patch's ability to do so. But this is nearly moot. What does another tube and patch kit cost? Andy (who has attached a patch to a SLIGHTLY expanded tube to avoid edge stresses)

Last edited by Andrew R Stewart; 05-28-22 at 07:29 PM. Reason: more content
Likes For Andrew R Stewart:
Old 05-28-22, 07:38 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Huh, that's a new one on me!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 05-28-22, 08:23 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
Any chance the patch and tube have been folded over and had a weight on it? Perhaps on a workbench with a heavy tool on top? Otherwise I too an at a loss, though I've think I've seen that on one of mine (in a few hundred patches; many stored or ignored for years).
Old 05-28-22, 09:42 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Originally Posted by drlogik
That's really odd. I haven't seen that before. Is that a Rema patch, and did you use vulcanizing fluid?

Update: BTW, did you spread vulcanizing fluid over the patch?

--
I used rubber cement. Would that cause this cracking? I patched quite a few tubes with rubber cement and had zero issues until now.
Old 05-28-22, 09:55 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
I used rubber cement. Would that cause this cracking? I patched quite a few tubes with rubber cement and had zero issues until now.
I always use Rema Tip-Top patches and glue.
Even during the times of greatest crises and scarcity, I've always been able to have and keep a small stock of those.
When I use that (along with Schwalbe or Continental tubes), I'm certain enough that any problems are down to my poor work/preparation, not some other reason (I usually do a good job and very, very rarely see problems with my patching jobs).

Apart from that:
I make sure my tubes are not kept in direct sunlight or near some heating elements.
Likewise, I keep tubes in a plastic bag, to prevent any extra oxidation.
This way, I've been able to use 3 tubes (2 on the bike, one spare) in rotation (spare tube goes on a bike, the punctured tube gets patched and becomes a spare tube) for a decade, on a regular basis.

Last edited by Bike Gremlin; 05-29-22 at 10:06 AM.
Likes For Bike Gremlin:
Old 05-28-22, 10:02 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Is the tube fairly narrow for the tire/rim section volume? How old was the patch kit? Andy
I bought the box of patches last year I believe. Do these have expiration dates?
Old 05-28-22, 10:51 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Never seen this before. I have used completely dried up patches before. They were so dry that after I removed the foil I covered them in Vulcanizing Cement to get them soft again. They never cracked like this. I have not used Rubber Cement for patches but I know many people successfully do. I suspect that the patch was cracked or damaged before its application. I have seen tires come apart longitudinally like this...
Old 05-28-22, 11:38 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
It might. Vulcanizing fluid is different than rubber cement. Those patches should be used with vulcanizing fluid, preferably the stuff made by Rema. I use that myself. Rubber cement can get hard and brittle and it dries out depending on storage conditions. That may be the culprit.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 05-29-22, 07:19 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Did you apply the rubber cement to the top of the patch? The photo suggests that. I have used heptane (for practical purposes naphtha) to remove soft rubber grip material. The rubber absorbed heptane and you were able to tear the thick rubber with fingers and take it off. Harder rubber in a tube, when I tried, did not react much to heptane. Now a solvent, such as heptane, is likely there in the rubber cement. I wonder whether the rubber on top of the patch were not soft enough to absorb the solvent from the cement. I am just speculating here. The bottom of the patch is obviously made not to react adversely to the solvent.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 05-29-22, 08:57 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 262 Posts
the tire patch is dry-cracked
Apply vulcanizing cement only on the tube, never on the patch.

Once a generous amount of vulcanizing cement has dried on the tube, just press a patch onto it.

Ideally the tube should be installed right away so a fresh patch can mold into shape.

When hoarding leaky tubes, I mark the punctures so I can patch them only when I desperately need them.
Old 05-29-22, 10:53 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Originally Posted by 2_i
Did you apply the rubber cement to the top of the patch? The photo suggests that. I have used heptane (for practical purposes naphtha) to remove soft rubber grip material. The rubber absorbed heptane and you were able to tear the thick rubber with fingers and take it off. Harder rubber in a tube, when I tried, did not react much to heptane. Now a solvent, such as heptane, is likely there in the rubber cement. I wonder whether the rubber on top of the patch were not soft enough to absorb the solvent from the cement. I am just speculating here. The bottom of the patch is obviously made not to react adversely to the solvent.
No, I spred the cement on the inner tube, waited for it to dry for 5-10 minutes , and then put the patch on.
Old 05-29-22, 10:59 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Originally Posted by soyabean

Ideally the tube should be installed right away so a fresh patch can mold into shape.

When hoarding leaky tubes, I mark the punctures so I can patch them only when I desperately need them.
Mmm.... so you only patch the tube when you need to use it? When I patch one tube, I find myself wanting to patch all the other popped tubes in the garage too while I have all the supplies lying around and I'm waiting for the glue to set.
Old 05-30-22, 08:16 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
I patched up a few tubes maybe 6 months ago and hanged them up in the garage. Today I tried using one of them and the tire patch is dry-cracked and leaking air:
Is this the only tube of your spares that the patch cracked or are some of the others the same? I have never had this problem before. I patch tubes months before they get used, roll them up, sometimes with the patch folded and no problems. I do use Rema patches and fluid as they just seem to be the most reliable. The tube gets kept in a plastic bag in my seatpack mostly just to keep it from getting damaged from the constant rubbing that goes on in there. I know some here swear by using rubber cement, but my experience is that you can get a long-lasting patch sometimes but is much less reliable than the proper paired patch with vulcanizing fluid. Your patch has some mystery problem and IMO should just get a proper patch kit and spend your time riding rather than trying to figure out what went wrong.
Old 05-30-22, 09:47 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 262 Posts
so you only patch the tube when you need to use it?
The outward force of the air pressure will mash a fresh patch tightly against the tire ply or rim, making the patch more secure as pressure is applied to a new patch for months, compared to the 20 seconds of your thumbs.

I patch tubes when it's faster to do that than getting a new one from a local supplier. Speed is of essence as I flip/retail about 100 bikes every season.

When I have time to kill, I go work on the next bike to sell, not waste it on punctured tubes I regularly toss out when the pile gets too big.
Old 05-31-22, 08:44 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
I can't see how the choice of adhesive (rubber cement vs. Slime vs. Rema etc.) could make any difference, assuming the air is leaking through the cracked patch. The glue is just holding the patch to the tube, and unless air is leaking out around the edge of the patch, the glue is working.

Since we're all just speculating here, I'd guess there was some incident during the hanging storage time. Heavy weight folding the patch over, and the inflexible patch cracking perhaps. Odd that it affected just the patch, unless the patch had been stored next to a blower motor, perhaps in the warehouse or store from which it was purchased. That kind of ozone exposure might harden the rubber in the patch, while the tube to which the patch was attached was safe and sound inside a bicycle tire.