Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Headset Question-Newbie

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Headset Question-Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-22, 03:48 PM
tscat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Headset Question-Newbie

Hey all,

So i recently decided to build a road bike as a little project. I picked up a used but good conditon motobecane sprint, came with wheels and a fork but no bearings inside the head tube

Ive tried to make sense of what i actually need to buy but its all a little confusing. Its totally stripped to bare frame so i need bearings, bearing races, seals? Sorry if some of these terms arent common i come from an automotive background

Any help pointing me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-19-22, 03:54 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
How old is that bike? What is the steerer diameter, 1" or 1-1/8"? I expect you need a standard press-in headset but if the bike is newer than say 2005, perhaps an "integrated" headset.
Old 10-19-22, 03:59 PM
tscat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not exactly sure of how old it is but I cam tell you for sure its 1 1/8 and from the research uve done it says threadless? It wont let me post a hyperlink to the data i found but im assuming its from 2006
Old 10-19-22, 06:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
You can tell for sure? Was this measurement or guessing? Guessing is not a for sure thing and whatever you find on the internet is not always true. If you do not have a headset you will need a headset of some sort. That will need to be measured there are tools online to get your S.H.I.S. (standard headset identification system) straight but you may consider taking it to a shop to confirm if you aren't sure or want to make sure you are getting correct parts.
Old 10-19-22, 06:31 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Do a search for the "Motobecane Sprint" and see if you can find your bike. Here's a random example of one model which lists the compatible headset and size. Motobecane USA | Aluminum+ Bicycles | Track Bicycles | Cross Bicycles
Old 10-19-22, 06:47 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
You already know you need a threadless headset. Odds are it'll be 1-1/8".

But don't guess. Headsets are classed by the fork, so measure the steerer tube's OD, which should be 1-1/8". You don't need great precision, since the other sizes are 1" or 1-1/4".

This gets you most of the way home, because there are non-standard headsets, so looking up your bike's s pecs will nail it down.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-19-22, 07:04 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,174 Posts
If its not threadless, its likely a 1" threaded with 2 top locknuts. I think there was briefly a 1" threadless, cannot recall, but very few of those around. If 1-1/8" threadless, i would just buy a new complete headset, they are cheap enough. A decent quality Ritchey is $13 at Nashbar. Problem is do you have the tools to remove and install it, if not maybe just have an LBS do it.
Old 10-19-22, 08:08 PM
tscat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This makes sense, i know its 1 1/8"

Originally Posted by FBinNY
You already know you need a threadless headset. Odds are it'll be 1-1/8".

But don't guess. Headsets are classed by the fork, so measure the steerer tube's OD, which should be 1-1/8". You don't need great precision, since the other sizes are 1" or 1-1/4".

This gets you most of the way home, because there are non-standard headsets, so looking up your bike's s pecs will nail it down.
Old 10-19-22, 08:10 PM
tscat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the response, the bearing races have already been removed so id just have to press the new one in. I can likely get it in with the tools i have, if not ill bring it to the local shop

Originally Posted by Steve B.
If its not threadless, its likely a 1" threaded with 2 top locknuts. I think there was briefly a 1" threadless, cannot recall, but very few of those around. If 1-1/8" threadless, i would just buy a new complete headset, they are cheap enough. A decent quality Ritchey is $13 at Nashbar. Problem is do you have the tools to remove and install it, if not maybe just have an LBS do it.
Old 10-19-22, 09:17 PM
jsdavis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
You can confirm the size with some cardboard. Cut a 1" wide slot on the side and another one 1-1/8" and then fit your steerer inside to measure it.
Likes For jsdavis:
Old 10-20-22, 05:42 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 463 Posts
Originally Posted by jsdavis
You can confirm the size with some cardboard. Cut a 1" wide slot on the side and another one 1-1/8" and then fit your steerer inside to measure it.
A set of calipers (digital or other) would also do it. And they're also worth buying if the OP doesn't have a set - they're a hugely useful tool when rehabbing/restoring a bike to verify various component dimensions.
Old 10-20-22, 09:22 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by tscat
Any help pointing me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.
The great thing about headset standards is there's so many of them:
https://www.parktool.com/en-int/blog...dset-standards
Old 10-20-22, 09:42 AM
tscat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup i can see that already, luckily i have a good caliper

Originally Posted by Hondo6
A set of calipers (digital or other) would also do it. And they're also worth buying if the OP doesn't have a set - they're a hugely useful tool when rehabbing/restoring a bike to verify various component dimensions.
Old 10-21-22, 05:10 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 463 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
The great thing about headset standards is there's so many of them:
https://www.parktool.com/en-int/blog...dset-standards
And they missed a few older ones!

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-headsets.html
Old 10-21-22, 05:49 AM
tscat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks this is a great resource

Originally Posted by grumpus
The great thing about headset standards is there's so ...