Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Feeling stretched on similar sized bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-22, 10:17 PM
Vinnems

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Maybe I'm just imagining it, or maybe I'm missing something?
In my stable, my main road bikes are a De Rosa and Panasonic. Both are very similar in size: 510 mm seat tube (CtoC) for both, while the De Rosa has a 530 mm top tube and the Panasonic has a 52.2 cm. Because of that, I have an 80 mm stem on the De Rosa and a 90 mm on the Panasonic. Handlebars, grips, seats, etc. are both pretty much the same size on both bikes. From the tip of the seat to the handles bars is the same for both bikes: 470 mm. All that considered, I still feel more stretched out when riding the De Rosa compared to the Panasonic. Like I feel I have to lean forward more to be in the same positions on the Panasonic. Because of that, and also because the De Rosa looks much nicer, I ride the Panasonic most of the time but want to start putting equal time on both bikes, especially since they shouldn't be different in fit.
Here are pictures of the two bikes. Anything stick out between the two? Anything I should try adjusting on the De Rosa?

Old 10-26-22, 11:39 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I can see the hoods are rotated a bit further back on the Panasonic, or are my eyes deceiving me? Anyway, that's 10mm of shorter effective reach on the Panasonic if the hoods are mounted a bit higher up.

What I'd do is place the bike with the back wheel to a wall and standing as upright as you can make it, take a measuring tape and measure the saddle setback to the bottom bracket (just measure distance of bottom bracket to wall and distance of saddle nose and subtract), the handlebar reach to the bottom bracket, and also the reach from the bottom bracket to the start of the hoods (again, distance from wall to the start of hoods - the distance to the bottom bracket). Also measure the stack (vertical distance from bottom bracket to the center of handlebar tops, again, you measure distance from both to the floor and subtract) and height of the top of the saddle from the bottom bracket through the seat tube.

You'll probably find that the fit coordinates of the two bikes aren't exactly the same, and if you're already near the limits of comfort (which I would hazard a guess is the case - the saddle being slid towards the front and tilted down on both), one can be fine and the other not. If the DeRosa has less saddle setback or more saddle height that might be "throwing" you towards the handlebars, in effect.

Last edited by Branko D; 10-26-22 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-26-22, 11:49 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Things that can affect the overall cockpit length:
Top tube length
Seat tube angle
Stem length
Handlebar reach
Saddle fore/art position
Seatpost setback
Old 10-27-22, 03:15 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
If I squint, perhaps the two seatposts have different setback?

Handlebar reach (the length of the forward bend of the drop) is another one to look out for.

Saddles vary in length so using the nose as the anchor point won't be helpful if comparing different models. I try to gauge where the seatpost (imaginary extension) would intersect the "center" of the saddle (not the actual center but the place on the saddle where the width = x, and this is my target regardless of which saddle).

Seat tube angle doesn't actually change the overall reach but if they're different then the two frames will put you in a slightly different crouch position which might be perceived as one feeling too laid out.

Last edited by tFUnK; 10-27-22 at 03:22 AM.
Old 10-27-22, 06:00 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Yeah, the only obvious differences are the rotation of the hoods and the stem length - the Panasonic has a much longer stem. Combining that with your very steep saddle angle, yeah, you're going to feel that. The more your saddle points down, the more weight you're putting on your hands. That would probably exacerbate even small changes up front.
Old 10-27-22, 06:05 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Looks like both the the seatpost and handlebar stem are "slammed" on the De Rosa compared to the Panasonic. More saddle to bar drop on the Panasonic also. With those setups, the Panasonic appears to be the bigger bike. I would think you'd be more stretched on the Panasonic. The saddle on the Panasonic has the downward curve. You maybe sliding forward more on the Panasonic with the downward pointing saddles. Rotate the saddles where the noses are pointing upward and see if that changes the feel between the 2 bikes..

Last edited by seypat; 10-27-22 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-27-22, 07:11 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
The bar on the Panasonic appears to have less of a bend, seem to be "angled" which would effectively put the hoods closer to the rider. Looks like moving the levers up might help.
Old 10-27-22, 07:51 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I always use the same saddle and first get the saddle height and setback of the saddle tip from the crank center to my standard amount, using a plumb bob. After that, I make sure the saddle to bar drop is set to my standard 10cm, using a level and tape measure. The bikes should both be sitting on a level floor. Then I take measurements from the saddle tip to the brake hoods, where the crook of my thumb rests. It's not always possible to get perfect agreement with only 10mm stem length adjustments. I'm willing to make adjustments to brake hood position or move the saddle fore/aft position 5mm.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 10-27-22, 10:08 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
You are pretty much showing why you can't assume that just because you fit on a certain size for one model of bike that you will need the same size in another model of bike. Even if they are the same brand of bike. Don't assume you'll ride the same size bike when you look for another bike or are comparing bikes.

Geometry matters. You have a top tube length difference according to you and there is even a stem length difference too as seen in the pic's. Though your bars look similar in dimension, drop bars have differing reach measurements too that can alter how far you feel stretched out.

Seat tube angle can affect how you perceive you position on the bike. There might be a difference between your DeRosa and Panasonic that puts your butt in a different position over the BB that changes everything about your perceptions.

Last edited by Iride01; 10-27-22 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-31-22, 05:48 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10423 Post(s)
Liked 11,884 Times in 6,088 Posts
The levers on the DeRosa are set a LOT lower than on the Panasonic. On the Panasonic, the tips of the brake levers are in line with the bottom of the drops. On the DeRosa, they're at least an inch lower. Try moving the lever on the DeRosa up to where they are on the Panasonic.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-31-22, 10:00 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,960 Times in 4,686 Posts
I don't think it's related to your "stretched out" feeling, but good grief -- why are the saddles tilted downward so drastically? That will put undue pressure on your hands and arms as you use them to keep yourself from sliding forward.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-31-22, 10:08 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
I used to be able to jump on just about any set up with out problems and ride. Not so today. I have been forced to set up my bikes as close to the same as possible. Just millimeters difference gives me big changes in comfort.

Rats...
Old 11-01-22, 05:00 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Difference in seat tube angle?

Since you are running the same saddle (I think) are the noses the same distance back from the BB?
Old 11-01-22, 07:17 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
The bikes are not set up the same. If you want to ride the DeRosa more frequently, either accept the pain or change the setup. Pretty simple.
While you change the setup, maybe level the saddles out too? There is no right or wrong way to ride a bike, but if I were to imagine an uncomfortable way to ride a bike it would involve continually sliding forward and having to push my body weight backwards while riding.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-01-22, 06:11 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
The levers on the DeRosa are set a LOT lower than on the Panasonic. On the Panasonic, the tips of the brake levers are in line with the bottom of the drops. On the DeRosa, they're at least an inch lower. Try moving the lever on the DeRosa up to where they are on the Panasonic.
...and visually, the bars on the De Rosa seem to have more reach (could be an optical thing... but the pic orientations seem close enough to draw this conclusion).
the bar reach seems to be at least 1cm longer/further forward- additive to the difference of the Brifters location.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 11-06-22, 01:26 PM
Vinnems

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Follow up on this. Since I was retaping the Derosa bars, I played around with the brifter position, as some suggested. I was amazed at how big of a difference it made for my comfort by moving them up a little bit! I rode around a bit testing various positions on it, found one that felt most comfortable, and locked it in and taped it up. Feels MUCH better to ride it now.
Also, I see a few mentions on the seat level. How can I adjust it to make it more flat? They each have two bolts that hold two brackets that go over the seat rails. I have them both making full contact with the rails, which to me seemed what to do to make it stable. I see that I can loosen the front one, which raises the nose, but wouldn't that make it less stable and somewhat bouncy?
Likes For Vinnems:
Old 11-06-22, 01:42 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Thanks for the update.

If that is a two bolt clamp on the DeRosa, one forward and one rear, then you loosen one bolt and tighten the other. On saddles without a cut out in them that can be a pain if the heads of the bolts are on top of the clamp.