Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

2022 Bike Friday base NWT components - your thoughts?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 11-19-22, 04:04 AM
chintanjadwani

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I have been looking at getting the Bike Friday New World Tourist for some years - I go to their website, choose the build, and then decide its too expensive

Was looking to bite the bullet now, but I wanted your thoughts on the components offered on the shelf bike. Earlier, I remember there were 2-3 options of "weekend warrior" or some adventure rider with more rugged parts. This has gone away with the option for just a 1x9 or a 2x9 drivetrain. The component choice also does not look as made for a heavy tourer - microshift shifters and derailleurs, sunrace cassette, tektro brakes, schwalbe road cruiser (not marathon) tires, tourney hubs, FSA square taper BB...

And the price for the base 2x9 NWT - $1875 (+tax+shipping) ! Not VFM anymore?
Old 11-19-22, 04:27 AM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
Bike Fridays have never been a particularly good value, unless you consider you're getting a made in America complete bike for less than what a domestic frame-only would cost.

Cheap parts work really well anymore. But if your budget is tight, hold out for a used BF. They don't hold their value all that well.
Old 11-19-22, 05:23 AM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by chintanjadwani
Hi,
I have been looking at getting the Bike Friday New World Tourist for some years - I go to their website, choose the build, and then decide its too expensive

Was looking to bite the bullet now, but I wanted your thoughts on the components offered on the shelf bike. Earlier, I remember there were 2-3 options of "weekend warrior" or some adventure rider with more rugged parts. This has gone away with the option for just a 1x9 or a 2x9 drivetrain. The component choice also does not look as made for a heavy tourer - microshift shifters and derailleurs, sunrace cassette, tektro brakes, schwalbe road cruiser (not marathon) tires, tourney hubs, FSA square taper BB...

And the price for the base 2x9 NWT - $1875 (+tax+shipping) ! Not VFM anymore?
Wow... 😳 😳 😳 Listen to your gut.
Old 11-19-22, 09:54 AM
chintanjadwani

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seat_boy
Bike Fridays have never been a particularly good value, unless you consider you're getting a made in America complete bike for less than what a domestic frame-only would cost.

Cheap parts work really well anymore. But if your budget is tight, hold out for a used BF. They don't hold their value all that well.
Thanks, will have to keep an eye out. Most used bikes that show up have the older SRAM DD3 hub and I'm trying to avoid that.
Old 11-19-22, 03:11 PM
Reddleman
iti biking

Bikes: Tern Link D8, much upgraded

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 58 Posts
You see similar quality components being used on off-the-peg tourers for sale these days such as the Surly Disc Trucker, which is mainly equipped with Shimano Alivio and Sora, which also costs about $2k USD. So it seems if you want a complete touring bike for that budget, you’re looking at basic but sturdy groupsets and mix and match components.

Based on the fact that you’re getting a made to measure frame that also folds, I would say that Bike Friday, when compared to its full-sized competitors in the touring bike market, is reasonably priced.

The difference is here is that we’re comparing BF to off-the-peg folding bikes - a different market - hence the sticker shock in this forum
Likes For Reddleman:
Old 11-19-22, 07:33 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Just in case you were not aware, you can specific any component on a Bike Friday build, even if it is not on the list dropdown. If BF can acquire it, they will. Obviously you will pay for it.
Old 11-20-22, 03:40 AM
chintanjadwani

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Reddleman
You see similar quality components being used on off-the-peg tourers for sale these days such as the Surly Disc Trucker, which is mainly equipped with Shimano Alivio and Sora, which also costs about $2k USD. So it seems if you want a complete touring bike for that budget, you’re looking at basic but sturdy groupsets and mix and match components.

Based on the fact that you’re getting a made to measure frame that also folds, I would say that Bike Friday, when compared to its full-sized competitors in the touring bike market, is reasonably priced.

The difference is here is that we’re comparing BF to off-the-peg folding bikes - a different market - hence the sticker shock in this forum
I think the LHT/DT used to offer a better component list earlier but it has changed a lot over the past couple of years. Compared to that something like Fuji touring has managed to provide a better list without the sticker shock, just to say that it's not impossible at this price.

BF does sell the NWT frame for ~$1100 so I think they could have provided better parts with the rest $7/800
Old 11-20-22, 03:41 AM
chintanjadwani

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Just in case you were not aware, you can specific any component on a Bike Friday build, even if it is not on the list dropdown. If BF can acquire it, they will. Obviously you will pay for it.
Yes, I am aware, but I think that's beyond the point.
Old 11-23-22, 08:37 PM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by chintanjadwani
Thanks, will have to keep an eye out. Most used bikes that show up have the older SRAM DD3 hub and I'm trying to avoid that.
Provided that you can source the click box and pin spares, can live with the its weight and need the great gear range provided, the SRAM DD3 is actually quite good. I wouldn't discount it automatically. I say that from having ridden one for four years.
Old 11-25-22, 07:35 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
I picked up an old BF Pocket Rocket with DD recently (I think Gen 2) and assumed I would do a new drivetrain later. It actually works quite well and offers a big gear range, I'm happy with it and won't change it 'til it breaks.
Old 11-26-22, 02:13 AM
Reddleman
iti biking

As long as you can protect the drive pin and source the spares (there’s a fella in Germany who fettles up replacement drive pins from scratch), the SRAM DD drive are pretty good bits of kit. Sturmey Archer now make a similar dual drive system should you need to switch a new hub in at a later date, but from memory sourcing them in anything other than a 36h version appears difficult in many western countries.
Old 11-26-22, 04:04 AM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
As suggested above, look for a 2nd hand one, the prices are much better.
Old 11-29-22, 06:37 PM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
I picked up an old BF Pocket Rocket with DD recently (I think Gen 2) and assumed I would do a new drivetrain later. It actually works quite well and offers a big gear range, I'm happy with it and won't change it 'til it breaks.
I have this NWT with the Sachs dual drive. Sram bought them out. I wonder how to get a replacement indicator pin and chain if ever it breaks 😕. The picture is before the installation.

Last edited by jfouellette; 11-29-22 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-29-22, 06:41 PM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
[QUOTE=Reddleman;22721541]As long as you can protect the drive pin and source the spares (there’s a fella in Germany who fettles up replacement drive pins from scratch)

Do have the contact information for this person?
Old 11-29-22, 10:12 PM
Reddleman
iti biking

You want https://www.bodenschatz-parts.com for spare SRAM DD pins.
Likes For Reddleman: