Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-22, 02:17 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Get some rest while you are There.

Old 10-29-22, 10:01 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Get some rest while you are There.
Thanks. Back home now and glad to have the catheter out. A bit sore and some blood in the urine, but otherwise ok. Really nice to be able to pee normally again. Can't do anything strenuous or lift over 10 lbs for 3 weeks. Have a post-op with my surgeon next week to see how healing is going and if I can resume taking my aspirin blood thinner. Peace, TT.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 10-31-22, 06:06 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
[QUOTE=10 Wheels;6693313]I qualify Twice. 66 y/o. Lost both sets of car keys to my Buick last week. They are somewhere in the house?
Yep, went to Buick had a set made. When I got home found one set in my computer chair.
Good thing one never forgets how to ride a bicycle.[/QUOT

Just made it 65 this month.😁 Where has the time gone to? I must be getting old. But it’s my lovely wife of 45years is the one that keeps losing the keys to her car and lock-in them in the car. So I bought her a car with push button start, keep the keys in your purse.

I see you are close to Galveston TX. I rode my Brompton around there about five years ago and really enjoyed it.
Likes For tim24k:
Old 10-31-22, 06:40 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
[QUOTE=tim24k;22696109]
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I qualify Twice. 66 y/o. Lost both sets of car keys to my Buick last week. They are somewhere in the house?
Yep, went to Buick had a set made. When I got home found one set in my computer chair.
Good thing one never forgets how to ride a bicycle.[/QUOT

Just made it 65 this month.😁 Where has the time gone to? I must be getting old. But it’s my lovely wife of 45years is the one that keeps losing the keys to her car and lock-in them in the car. So I bought her a car with push button start, keep the keys in your purse.

I see you are close to Galveston TX. I rode my Brompton around there about five years ago and really enjoyed it.
We used to go down there once a week.

Old 10-31-22, 07:39 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 851 Times in 445 Posts
I promise this will be my only post in this thread for seven more years until I'm 65, but I feel compelled to thank you all for the content in this thread. It's informative and a good read. Best to you all. Ride safe.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 11-01-22, 09:53 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Cyclist run over by cement mixer (care delayed by Hot World catastrophists)...

https://www.reuters.com/business/cop...lp-2022-11-01/

Last edited by McBTC; 11-01-22 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-07-22, 06:58 PM
ausfix

Bikes: Cube Agree and others . . .

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forgive me if this topic has been addressed on this thread or elsewhere, but I didn't find anything when I conducted a search. I have severe osteoarthritis in my left hip, and the surgeon I conferred with said I was definitely a candidate for a total hip replacement, which I'm sure many of you know is a common procedure with a high success rate. He said it is totally up to me to decide on how to proceed, surgery or not. PT or steroids won't help my condition. However . . . I'm disinclined to undergo surgery now because I usually don't feel any pain. I'm in pain when I walk more than about half an hour.

My main question is: Are any of you cycling regularly (and happily) with bad hips? I'm wondering if I can hold off surgery for another five years or so by cycling almost daily. I'm inclined to say it might work since I've already been in this condition for more than ten years now. I'm also wondering if anyone here has had success with moderate workouts on ergometers like the Concept2.

I turned 65 in August. My right hip is in good condition, which is unusual, given how bad my left hip is, according to my PCP. And my knees are perfectly fine.
Old 11-08-22, 07:20 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
Ausfix, maybe my experience would add to your thinking. I have dealt with RA for many years with only minor impacts on my cycling, anti-vibration gloves, Selle Anatomical saddles, larger tires with lower pressure, Ti gravel frames which seemed to further dampen vibration and bumps than my usual steel, etc. Then I turned 70 and OA came on and is an entirely different beast. On bad OA days I now ride a Catrike recumbent trike, which greatly relieves my back, hands and wrists. I find I like it and am not concerned that in the fullness of time my days on two wheels may well end.
Edit: No OA in my knees to date, only a little RA in the left but with Indomethacin I am good to go quickly.

Last edited by easyupbug; 11-08-22 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-13-22, 10:26 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by ausfix
Forgive me if this topic has been addressed on this thread or elsewhere, but I didn't find anything when I conducted a search. I have severe osteoarthritis in my left hip, and the surgeon I conferred with said I was definitely a candidate for a total hip replacement, which I'm sure many of you know is a common procedure with a high success rate. He said it is totally up to me to decide on how to proceed, surgery or not. PT or steroids won't help my condition. However . . . I'm disinclined to undergo surgery now because I usually don't feel any pain. I'm in pain when I walk more than about half an hour.

My main question is: Are any of you cycling regularly (and happily) with bad hips? I'm wondering if I can hold off surgery for another five years or so by cycling almost daily. I'm inclined to say it might work since I've already been in this condition for more than ten years now. I'm also wondering if anyone here has had success with moderate workouts on ergometers like the Concept2.

I turned 65 in August. My right hip is in good condition, which is unusual, given how bad my left hip is, according to my PCP. And my knees are perfectly fine.

I not one of those whose cycled with bad hips, but I have had a total hip replacement. Crashed one afternoon, broke the ball off the femur neck and had a new hip the next day. I also watched my wife suffer through an arthritic hip so that’s what I’ll use as basis for feedback.

Just my two cents but my thoughts are to not put off the surgery any longer than you really need to. I have no limitations with my replaced hip and never think about it. The only thing I notice where something is different is when I try and pick up something really heavy. Otherwise it does great. I watched my wife suffer as she put it off 1-2 years longer than she should have. I think she also wound up creating other joint issues from favoring the bad hip and doing repetitive unnatural movements for her other joints. Plus it limited what we were able to do together. Anyway, go ahead and do the due diligence on the common replacement procedures along with who you’d prefer as a surgeon. The anterior procedure (incision more forward) seems to provide a much quicker recovery as it’s less invasive with muscle tissues. Mine was posterior or coming in from the side. I’m fine with the posterior procedure I had but recovery is a bit longer. Doing the research now will help you be more prepared to help you make a decision when you’re ready to do it. Just avoid watching YouTube videos of replacements before you have it done!!!
Old 11-13-22, 01:12 PM
McBTC

Knee replacement is a far bigger deal than hip replacement...
Likes For McBTC:
Old 11-22-22, 02:55 PM
pennstater

Bikes: Look 765 Gravel RS, Lynskey Cooper CX, Lynskey R260

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
I struggled with the same decision about delaying surgery. Though I could still ride a bike, I had to limit intensity to avoid pain. Skiing was out of the question.I am 69 and came to the decision that at best I had 10 good years of physical activity left. Modern hip replacements usually last much longer than that. So I had the replacement done in April. Was back on a stationary bike in 4 weeks and on the road 2 weeks after that. No regrets whatsoever.
Likes For pennstater:
Old 11-28-22, 01:15 PM
Houseboy522

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Had one bad hip (arthritis) at 56. Doc said whenever I'm tired of the pain/inconvenience, I'm a candidate for total hip.
I rode until the hip pain cause KNEE pain. Basically had to lay the bike down to step over it and my left knee stuck out as I peddled. The "twisted" condition caused the knee pain ( clipless pedals). That was 9 years ago. Relief was instant. Back on the road in about 5 weeks.

Now... it's the other hip. Same scenario: hard to lift leg over the bike, knee pain is starting to appear so... total hip is scheduled for February!

One thing I did the first time around was to get a Cortisone injection. That created so much relief that it convinced me to go ahead with the surgery!

I was very diligent about my PT and that seems to be the trick for recovery. Of course I was 9 years younger the last time so... hoping for the best!
Also, anterior procedure is well established now so I assume that is what your doc would do. Recovery is much better that way.
Likes For Houseboy522:
Old 12-04-22, 08:34 PM
raymellott

Bikes: 2015 Trek FX 7.0 - modified to be better on the road than it was designed to be. Now, 2021 Domane.

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Dropper post helps that mount/dismount thing

Originally Posted by Houseboy522
Had one bad hip (arthritis) at 56. Doc said whenever I'm tired of the pain/inconvenience, I'm a candidate for total hip.
I rode until the hip pain cause KNEE pain. Basically had to lay the bike down to step over it and my left knee stuck out as I peddled. The "twisted" condition caused the knee pain ( clipless pedals). That was 9 years ago. Relief was instant. Back on the road in about 5 weeks.

Now... it's the other hip. Same scenario: hard to lift leg over the bike, knee pain is starting to appear so... total hip is scheduled for February!

One thing I did the first time around was to get a Cortisone injection. That created so much relief that it convinced me to go ahead with the surgery!

I was very diligent about my PT and that seems to be the trick for recovery. Of course I was 9 years younger the last time so... hoping for the best!
Also, anterior procedure is well established now so I assume that is what your doc would do. Recovery is much better that way.
Before I put a dropper post on the bike, I just about had to lay it down to swing my leg over the seat. Dropper saved that. That it's on a Trek Domane (road bike) bothers some but not me. Not at all. It works, and saves my sorry behing.
Old 12-09-22, 01:18 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
To those of us who do the maintenance and repairs on our bikes--do you enjoy it as you did (if you did) when you were younger. I ask, as I've always been mechanically inclined and enjoyed working on just about anything. I recently replaced a front 3 spd road derailleur on my wife's bike and repacked the rear hub on my bike, as well as a few other things. I did like knowing it was done correctly, to my liking, and not having to be concerned about how much care someone else took while working on them. But I did not enjoy doing it nearly as much as when younger. My mtn.bike was built up from a bare frame (a replacement for one which broke). Had a ball putting literally everything on that bike and getting it all to work together. Haven't built one like that for decades, but can't imagine enjoying it nearly as much now. How about you?
Old 12-09-22, 02:03 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Me, too. It's not as satisfying as it used to be, and I don't do it as well as I used to do it.
Old 12-09-22, 02:18 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
To those of us who do the maintenance and repairs on our bikes--do you enjoy it as you did (if you did) when you were younger. I ask, as I've always been mechanically inclined and enjoyed working on just about anything. I recently replaced a front 3 spd road derailleur on my wife's bike and repacked the rear hub on my bike, as well as a few other things. I did like knowing it was done correctly, to my liking, and not having to be concerned about how much care someone else took while working on them. But I did not enjoy doing it nearly as much as when younger. My mtn.bike was built up from a bare frame (a replacement for one which broke). Had a ball putting literally everything on that bike and getting it all to work together. Haven't built one like that for decades, but can't imagine enjoying it nearly as much now. How about you?
I used to rebuild as well as R&R engines in cars in my hot rodding days, built a few bicycles as well. In fact I built a rear wheel lacing a 3 speed hub into a 26x2:25 mountain bike wheel for fun them built it into a bicycle. when I worked at a Bike shop in Vegas. It was kind of a cool oddity. Some homeless looking guy came in liked it and payed cash for it. I never saw it again even though I told the guy it had a 30 day warranty.
Now days I don't do much and I'd rather pay a mechanic to do what I used to do. I guess this is what happens when you get older.

Last edited by Ballenxj; 12-09-22 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-09-22, 03:21 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,388 Times in 758 Posts
My days of breaking down and reassembling engines in the spare bedroom of my mobile home in grad school are waaay behind me. I still enjoy working on my bikes though. I have enough that I couldn't really afford to take them to a shop for everything. I am just about done with Doug Fattic's framebuilding class, and have been assembling parts with which to build up the frame into a bike.

Old 12-09-22, 03:58 PM
Charles Lathe

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 25 Posts
I am down to one bicycle and I am very happy with it. It’s a touring bicycle, and heavy, but a joy to ride. I tinker around with it a lot and built up a new set of wheels last week or the week before. I enjoyed building the wheels, but I wouldn’t want a job building wheels. I would say that I still like doing things for my bicycle, but I like riding it a lot more than I like working on it. I also like to look at it.
Likes For Charles Lathe:
Old 12-10-22, 11:42 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,463 Times in 1,130 Posts
I'm 70 years old and still enjoying restoring old bikes. Run of the mill cable replacements and brake adjustments don't hold the same thrill they did when I was thirteen years old and I was just learning, but I don't find them excessively tedious. The last few years I've been teaching myself how to paint bike frames. I've done about ten at this point and I can see steady improvement. It seems like every frame I paint I make a different mistake, but I usually don't make the same mistake twice!

I no longer enjoy replacing a CV joint on a Westfalia camper while lying on my back in the dirt four hundred miles from home but I've been having a great time helping my son completely rebuild his Vespa scooter. In fact I'm looking for a nice automotive restoration project... Anyone have a Citroen 2cv Truckette or a Steyr Puch Haflinger they want to sell?

Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 12-15-22, 09:57 PM
McBTC

Getting colder out...
About 61° but, warmer than last week...
Old 12-16-22, 12:55 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,388 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
Getting colder out...
Sure, rub it in... Today's forecast high here (Chicago) is 31°, the best of the next ten days, though we're supposed to get snow flurries all day. 17° is the forecast high for Christmas. I might have to break down and set up the rollers.
Old 12-16-22, 07:28 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts

Getting colder out...
California? I ask because I just got back from a month (November) in Southern Arizona and wasn't real thrilled about the temps. Picked up Covid, too. Anyway, my view was the same.

Old 12-16-22, 08:02 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
That's rough!
Old 12-16-22, 12:43 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
That's rough!
Yeah, currently, the forecast for Southern California coastal on Christmas Day is 70°...
Old 01-08-23, 06:45 PM
McBTC

myalgia???

Sheesh! May have already had Omicron and didn't know it...

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronaviru...ovid-symptoms/

Got the Omicron-specific booster today and went for a bike ride... other boosters had no effect on me other than injection-site specific shoulder pain that was gone by the next day. This one took me out but fortunately - saved by an over 8% ABV IPA.
Likes For McBTC:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.