Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Did the bike shop deform my tire?

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Old 07-14-22, 08:11 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 285 Posts

I took my tire off my rim to patch a hole created by a screw. I don't have an air compresser so I took it to a bike shop to seat my tire. He said he put extra pressure in the tire to get it to seat and told me to leave it pumped up a day to make sure it gets a good seal. I looked at my tire today and it has streched out to form a large bulge across the tire near where the hole was. 29+ tires are hard to find and aren't cheap. If I keep the tire at around 15psi, it looks alright. Any pressure higher than that and the area that deformed starts to stretch out. I ordered a new tire and hope to get it on at home.

Last edited by mtnbud; 07-20-22 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-14-22, 08:57 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Sounds like your tire's casing was compromised due to it having been impaled by a screw. Sometimes it is just time for a new tire.
It sounds like the tire repair was performed by you - I do not see any reason to place blame on the LBS here.
Likes For SalsaShark:
Old 07-15-22, 08:38 AM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 285 Posts
Tire says inflate to 12 to 30 psi. He inflated it to 60 and said to leave it at 60 psi overnight. It wasn't deformed until the next day, but it deformed where the screw penetrated the tire. There's clearly damage to the casing. This bike shop would never attempt to repair a tire. I was hoping to repair it myself to save $100. My main question I guess would be if I didn't leave the tire at 60 psi, would it have still deformed? It wasn't initially deformed at 60 psi. It looked fine until the next day.

Here's a picture:

I'm used to my vintage Panaracer Smoke and Dart tires. The casings on those were a lot tougher. Tubeless is a new thing for me.

Last edited by mtnbud; 07-15-22 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-16-22, 08:39 AM
Airfehr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
Tire looks jacked. It's a nice day to purchase new tires. Maybe of those booster pumps to to save on the hassle of having someone else braking your stuff. Before blaming the kid at the LBS. How much pressure is extra pressure and what is the max rating on the side of the tire? I'm assuming you are tubeless to need to seat the tire. To over pressure enough to bubble the tire I'm surprised the sealant didn't leak too.

A few here like there fat tires hard. I run 6 to 6.5 psi for dirt. 15 to 20 when seating a tire change.
Old 07-25-22, 01:22 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
The bike shop should have never inflated it past 30 psi. Ouch.
Likes For prj71: