Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike frame material rankings!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bike frame material rankings!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-22, 10:43 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
I see your point and agree that each material (including carbon) tend to conform to certain tube profiles. I guess I would argue that there's more room for creativity (and what the market find acceptable) for the metal bikes. What comes to mind are the custom/weird bespoke steel frames out there to keep things interesting, or the helix tube titanium frame, or even how different a Caad looks from an Allez Sprint. I get there are carbon aero bikes vs. lightweight climbers but to me the fat tubes kind of look similar, especially now that there's a trend towards carbon bikes designed to be both light and aero - Tarmac SL7 comes to mind.
Carbon is easily the most versatile material when it comes to tube profiling. Modern aero bikes only tend to look the same because they are subject to the same laws of aerodynamics and structural mechanics.
Old 11-02-22, 10:44 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Carbon is nice but they all kind of look the same
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Doesn't that also apply to steel/aluminium/ti bikes too?
I disagree with tFUnK 's statement, since cf can be shaped in all sorts of ways; just look at the Dogma for a striking example.

I think the answer to PeteHski 's question is "no," given that there are three common methods of joining steel tubes for bike frames, and they are each very distinctive; also, aluminum tubes come in different diameters (and shapes -- see hydroformed frame tubes) and, as indyfabz has pointed out, titanium can also be formed into interesting shapes and painted or cerakoted -- the latter finish is very distinctive and different from wet paint.

Really, a statement like "All _____ bikes look alike" seems weird on a bike forum, where most people are a bit more knowledgeable about such things than the general population.
Old 11-02-22, 10:51 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Carbon is nice but they all kind of look the same ...
I'd say carbon exhibits the greatest variety in appearance, followed by aluminum, then steel, and then titanium.
Old 11-02-22, 11:05 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
One important consideration is the frame builder. A frame made by a talented frame maker is going to be more "comfortable" than whatever material is used by a mediocre builder. Material is only one factor. But if the same builder is constructing the frame, I'd be going with a top-of-the-line steel, such as Reynolds 853 for example. Just my opinion, don't think there is one absolute "correct" answer.
Old 11-02-22, 11:24 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Koyote
I disagree with tFUnK 's statement, since cf can be shaped in all sorts of ways; just look at the Dogma for a striking example.

I think the answer to PeteHski 's question is "no," given that there are three common methods of joining steel tubes for bike frames, and they are each very distinctive; also, aluminum tubes come in different diameters (and shapes -- see hydroformed frame tubes) and, as indyfabz has pointed out, titanium can also be formed into interesting shapes and painted or cerakoted -- the latter finish is very distinctive and different from wet paint.
So you think there's more variation in the generic "look" of steel frames vs carbon? There are also several methods of joining carbon tubes which can look pretty disctinctive eg. Colnago C64. Also plenty of boutique carbon builders around these days if you want something more unique looking.
Old 11-02-22, 11:47 AM
Koyote

So you think there's more variation in the generic "look" of steel frames vs carbon?
I never said that. In fact, I don't have any idea what you mean by a "generic" look of steel frames. That's my point. To anyone who knows much about bike frames, a TIG welded frame looks quite different from a lugged frame. Fillet brazing is a bit lesser-known, and most would mistake it for TIG welding.

There are also several methods of joining carbon tubes which can look pretty disctinctive eg. Colnago C64. Also plenty of boutique carbon builders around these days if you want something more unique looking.
Yup. To claim that "they all look alike" is ignoring a lot.
Old 11-02-22, 11:49 AM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by amazinmets73
Here are mine:

Speed/performance (ideal frame for racing.)

1: Carbon
2: Aluminum
3: Titanium
4: Steel

Comfort:

1: Steel
2: Titanium
3: Carbon
4: Aluminum

Durability:

1: Steel
2: Titanium
3: Aluminum
4: Carbon

Sustainability (environmental impact)

1: Aluminum
2: Steel
3: Titanium
4: Carbon

Opinions?
So, if you assign points to each of your rankings - 4 for 1st place, 1 point for 4th - you end up with steel as the overall winner, taking your considerations into account:
Steel - 12 points
Aluminum, Titanium - 10 points
CF - 8 points

Which works for me perfectly - Comfort and durability are probably my two most important concerns.

Originally Posted by freeranger
One important consideration is the frame builder. A frame made by a talented frame maker is going to be more "comfortable" than whatever material is used by a mediocre builder. Material is only one factor. But if the same builder is constructing the frame, I'd be going with a top-of-the-line steel, such as Reynolds 853 for example. Just my opinion, don't think there is one absolute "correct" answer.
This has always been my hesitation in getting a BikesDirect Mercier bike - Sure, it's nice Reynolds 531 tubing, but if it's put together by a three-year old, it will suck regardless.

Last edited by Chinghis; 11-02-22 at 11:54 AM.
Likes For Chinghis:
Old 11-02-22, 12:21 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Chinghis
So, if you assign points to each of your rankings - 4 for 1st place, 1 point for 4th - you end up with steel as the overall winner ...
I made a similar list for chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla ice cream, and chocolate got the most points. Proof positive chocolate is the best.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-02-22, 12:57 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I made a similar list for chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla ice cream, and chocolate got the most points. Proof positive chocolate is the best.
Hope you like chocolate.
Old 11-02-22, 03:31 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Strawberry can be seen further away and possibly is faster. Vanilla I'd think would be more versatile as you can always put strawberry or chocolate toppings on it.

30 years ago I'd be right there with you on chocolate. My tastes have changed through the years.
Old 11-02-22, 03:54 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Iride01
Strawberry can be seen further away and possibly is faster.
Yes, red ice cream is faster; that goes without saying.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-02-22, 06:42 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Koyote
I never said that. In fact, I don't have any idea what you mean by a "generic" look of steel frames.
I meant in the same generic way that someone said carbon frames all look the same. I was just observing that you can say exactly the same thing for any frame material in terms of generic aesthetic. To a casual observer traditional steel frames all look pretty much the same. Even more so with Ti frames as they are often unpainted. You see a bit more shape variation with aluminium and more so again with carbon. I would say there is far more variation in carbon tube profiling than with any other material. The two modern carbon road bikes I currently own are quite different in their tube profiles.
Old 11-02-22, 06:53 PM
amazinmets73

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
So, if you assign points to each of your rankings - 4 for 1st place, 1 point for 4th - you end up with steel as the overall winner, taking your considerations into account:
Steel - 12 points
CF - 8 points

Which works for me perfectly - Comfort and durability are probably my two most important concerns.

This has always been my hesitation in getting a BikesDirect Mercier bike - Sure, it's nice Reynolds 531 tubing, but if it's put together by a three-year old, it will suck regardless.
Not necessarily. It depends on what you prioritize I'm confident there isn't a cyclist on the planet who prioritizes all four attributes at complete parity. If you're a bike racer, you should ride carbon. If you're a bike racer on an extremely tight budget, you should ride aluminum.
Old 11-02-22, 06:54 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Aren't steel tubes round? They all look the same to my eye

Aren't carbon "tubes" shaping differently? They are to my eye. A decade ago the shapes were narrow and NACA-like whereas they much wider with the trailing edge loped off (Kamtail). Most/many carbon frames are not symmetrical in way or another. Under the surface, the layup and fibers can make huge differences functionally. The murdered look of knockoff china bikes is generic and boring. A Dogma F? Exciting looking and unique bike.
Old 11-02-22, 06:58 PM
amazinmets73

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Steel - 12 points
CF - 8 points

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
If you're using modern wheels that are hookless and wider, so you can use 50-70 psi tire pressure, the frame material makes little difference.
I can't argue. With the trend of increasing tire width and subsequently decreasing pressure, frame comfort is becoming increasingly less consequential. I can tell you from experience 33mm tires will smooth out the harshest alloy frame. However; that doesn't impact power transfer or durability.
Old 11-02-22, 10:27 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
Glad that one person's subjective opinion ("all carbon bikes look alike") can stir up such controversy 😁

I don't disagree with the counterpoints. I'm only pointing out how industry trends (and as someone pointed out: physics) result in convergence in designs, and subsequently, aesthetics. And the fact that when I'm watching the TdF I think all their bikes look the same. This isn't a good or bad thing, just my observation and opinion.

One of the smoothest bikes I've ever ridden was alloy with carbon rear stays. Of course, the industry has since moved on from that design.
Old 11-03-22, 12:30 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
All looking alike depends how far you "zoom out". I mean, all road bikes kind of look similar in the grand scheme of things, double diamond shape with 700c wheels. We're cyclists so we care about the details.

In practice, steel and titanium bikes are generally round tube double diamond things; without a distinctive paint scheme and some colourful details they look pretty mundane. There's the odd head turner which combines a distinctive paint scheme with a complimenting group set and well matched details, sure, but it's rare. Bare titanium with black fork and black components looks really plain.

So does most CF and alloy, though, especially the "yet another black aero race bike", which I say as a guy who rides yet another black aero race bike most of the time. I think it's a handsome bike, sure, but it's hardly unique. I've ran into a few really lovely put together Merida aero bikes with a striking colour scheme and some of the previous generation of Trek Madone Project Ones look pretty bling live, too.

Last edited by Branko D; 11-03-22 at 12:51 AM.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 11-03-22, 04:49 AM
PeteHski

Glad that one person's subjective opinion ("all carbon bikes look alike") can stir up such controversy 😁

I don't disagree with the counterpoints. I'm only pointing out how industry trends (and as someone pointed out: physics) result in convergence in designs, and subsequently, aesthetics. And the fact that when I'm watching the TdF I think all their bikes look the same. This isn't a good or bad thing, just my observation and opinion.

One of the smoothest bikes I've ever ridden was alloy with carbon rear stays. Of course, the industry has since moved on from that design.

The only counterpoint I had was that it was the same with all other frame materials. Watch the TDF in any era and the bikes all look the same.
Old 11-03-22, 05:00 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
About 5 years ago, someone posted in the Framebuilders subforum about a conversation he'd had with a well-respected framebuilder. He'd asked him to confirm that all hand-built frames, even if not of a bespoke design, would ride better (e.g., be more comfortable, better aligned, etc.) than any factory-built bike. The framebuilder had told him that, no, that's not necessarily the case.

The guy was astonished at the reply and asked if any of the framebuilders on the forum agreed with the point of view that hand-built frames are not intrinsically superior to factory-built frames. Many did. A few noted that a custom-designed hand-built bike might of course be superior to a factory-built bike in some ways for a given rider's needs and preferences but that that had nothing to do with its being hand-built versus factory-built.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 11-03-22, 05:05 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Branko D
All looking alike depends how far you "zoom out". I mean, all road bikes kind of look similar in the grand scheme of things, double diamond shape with 700c wheels. We're cyclists so we care about the details.

In practice, steel and titanium bikes are generally round tube double diamond things; without a distinctive paint scheme and some colourful details they look pretty mundane. There's the odd head turner which combines a distinctive paint scheme with a complimenting group set and well matched details, sure, but it's rare. Bare titanium with black fork and black components looks really plain.

So does most CF and alloy, though, especially the "yet another black aero race bike", which I say as a guy who rides yet another black aero race bike most of the time. I think it's a handsome bike, sure, but it's hardly unique. I've ran into a few really lovely put together Merida aero bikes with a striking colour scheme and some of the previous generation of Trek Madone Project Ones look pretty bling live, too.
Agreed. For those who crave something out of the current norm (black/grey carbon aero road bike), there are dozens of boutique builders out there doing things slightly differently. Perhaps ironically, the use of carbon has actually made the niche market far more creative than ever. Brands like Bastion, Festka and Werking come to mind. Often combining various materials in their frame designs. There are also some pretty distinctive carbon frames out there e.g. from the likes of Pinarello, Colnago, OPEN, 3T, Factor, Vielo to name a few. Even more mainstream brands like Trek have some fairly unique looking frames that would be easy to spot without branding.
Old 11-03-22, 05:10 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Trakhak
hand-built versus factory-built.
Might as well say shed-built vs factory built. Pretty much a meaningless concept in regard to design, production and quality. Kudos to the frame-builder's honesty.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-03-22, 06:53 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Trakhak
About 5 years ago, someone posted in the Framebuilders subforum about a conversation he'd had with a well-respected framebuilder. He'd asked him to confirm that all hand-built frames, even if not of a bespoke design, would ride better (e.g., be more comfortable, better aligned, etc.) than any factory-built bike. The framebuilder had told him that, no, that's not necessarily the case.

The guy was astonished at the reply and asked if any of the framebuilders on the forum agreed with the point of view that hand-built frames are not intrinsically superior to factory-built frames. Many did. A few noted that a custom-designed hand-built bike might of course be superior to a factory-built bike in some ways for a given rider's needs and preferences but that that had nothing to do with its being hand-built versus factory-built.
That was pretty much my thought after reading that earlier post… I mean, really, welding and brazing are very mature technologies. A factory in Taiwan can put together steel tubes just as well as some “artisan“ in the United States. In fact, my custom built steel frame had to go back three times for repainting before they got it right. Never had that issue with any of my factory built frames.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-03-22, 04:58 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Waiting on a CF version of these

Old 11-03-22, 06:05 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
I hope it never finds you but if Arthritis does the Comfort question will become serious. For a few years Rheumatoid was an slight discomfort but Osteo is serious and on the occasional bad days I ride a trike. A custom steel man for years I now have Ti as the ride is very similar but to my very sensitive hands and wrists my milage is much better on TI.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 11-04-22, 12:36 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
There's stiff racing CF bikes with an aggressive geometry and there's comfortable CF endurance bikes.

I've ridden a Specialized Ruby (the women's version of the Roubaix, now discontinued), over some broken roads, it's a magic carpet like ride with wide tires at low pressure and the flexy seatpost and the future shock suspension. I don't need it, but if I did, it'd be my pick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.