Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pirelli P7 Sport tyre

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Pirelli P7 Sport tyre

Old 11-23-22, 04:03 PM
utoner34

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Pirelli P7 Sport tyre

Amnybody used these tires? They seem to be quite cheap. I wonder how they perform in winter and what is the actual width on the rim compared to Continental GP series?
Old 11-23-22, 08:06 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by utoner34
I wonder how they perform in winter and what is the actual width on the rim compared to Continental GP series?
Pirelli published WAM/RAM for their P-Zero Race - they measure out to their nominal width on a 19mm internal width rim, which is pretty common for current generation tires. I would assume that the P7 sticks to that convention.

Conti moved to similar sizing on the GP5000 and newer, but tires previous to that are bigger and made with narrower rims in mind.
Old 11-23-22, 09:53 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
While I do not use these specific tires, I do run the P Zero Race and in 28 and 30 tubeless and they run pretty close to size on my wheels that are 19.5mm internal on one wheelset and 23 on the other.

Old 11-24-22, 07:35 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
I've seen lots of PZ Race recs -- has anyone tried yet the PZ Race 4S tires yet (I assume 4S = 4 Season)?
BRR seemingly gives it high marks -- surprisingly even for RR -- slightly better than the non-4S version:

Old 11-24-22, 10:46 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Pirelli quickly went the way of Conti, Vittoria, and Schwalbe in naming all of their tire models nearly the same as the other tires so it becomes a total mess to try and initially sort out when looking into tires.

Looking at the Pirelli site, I think 4 different tires are for the exact same segment/group of cyclists.

You shouldn't have 6 versions of the same tire model(not talking about widt or wheel size).
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-25-22, 10:17 AM
utoner34

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I've seen lots of PZ Race recs -- has anyone tried yet the PZ Race 4S tires yet (I assume 4S = 4 Season)?
BRR seemingly gives it high marks -- surprisingly even for RR -- slightly better than the non-4S version:
https://road.cc/content/review/pirel...4s-tyre-293107

As for P 7 sport, I guess its a cheaper compound, thus the price, probably something in the range of Continental Grand Sport Race grip wise.
Old 11-25-22, 10:26 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by utoner34
https://road.cc/content/review/pirel...4s-tyre-293107

As for P 7 sport, I guess its a cheaper compound, thus the price, probably something in the range of Continental Grand Sport Race grip wise.
Yes, but also make sure you look at the UK prices. A P7 Sport tire sells in the US for same as the PZero Race4S in the UK. Not sure why US pricing on Pirellis seems basically double.
Old 11-25-22, 03:02 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
We have the P7 sport on hand as for a bit during the shortages it was all we could get. They run pretty well and have good life and still have good performance. The P Zero Race 4S is a fabulous tire that we have run almost exclusively since it came out. Only switched to the TLR versions when the 4S is low stock. None of the youngins want to buy tube based tires so...those of us who prefer them end up suffering.

As for prices - meh. Us dealers get screwed more than anyone else does. Pretty much why none of us carry a large inventory of anyone's tires anymore.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 11-25-22, 03:54 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
We have the P7 sport on hand as for a bit during the shortages it was all we could get. They run pretty well and have good life and still have good performance. The P Zero Race 4S is a fabulous tire that we have run almost exclusively since it came out. Only switched to the TLR versions when the 4S is low stock. None of the youngins want to buy tube based tires so...those of us who prefer them end up suffering.

As for prices - meh. Us dealers get screwed more than anyone else does. Pretty much why none of us carry a large inventory of anyone's tires anymore.
Are the Pirelli 4S tires really $85 msrp here in the US? Why are tires so price imbalanced in the US (on a percentage basis) vs other bike stuff?
Old 11-26-22, 06:23 AM
utoner34

P Zero Race 4S is only up to 28mm, but I want 32 (that quite a big difference).
Old 11-26-22, 08:36 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Are the Pirelli 4S tires really $85 msrp here in the US? Why are tires so price imbalanced in the US (on a percentage basis) vs other bike stuff?
That is why I buy my Pirelli's from Lord Gun in Italy. They were half the cost as a US based company. I have not looked in a while, so it might not be the same, but I got replacements P Zero Race TLR's when they were on sale for $35 on weekend in Late 2021.

Edit: Just looked, the TLR's standard version, no color, etc, is $45

The P7's are less than $20

I also like Lord Gun as I can get these tires in 3 or 4 days from Italy in Florida. That is so much faster that ordering something from the West Coast

Last edited by jaxgtr; 11-26-22 at 08:44 PM.