Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Sourcing 20" bicycle pannier rack

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 12-01-22, 07:32 AM
rapattack

Bikes: EziGo zoom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts

I am in Australia and can't seem to source a replacement pannier rack. I bought one last year from AliExpress and it was broken when arrived. also obviously fragile in the first place. got a refund but dubious anything I c online. if u can recommend where I can get one that's sturdy and not unreal in price I would like to know. anything I have seen so far is horribly expensive

Last edited by rapattack; 12-01-22 at 07:32 AM. Reason: more details
Old 12-01-22, 07:07 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I don't have any first-hand experience w/panniers yet, but, for my mini-velo that has much longer chainstays than any folding bicycle, I'm going to use a Racktime Foldit Fix rear rack for 20". Another rack-specialty company to peruse is AltanVelo. They seem to have a relatively large selection of racks for 20". There's also the Tern Cargo Rack. I can't confirm that any of these will afford enough distance of the panniers from your feet. I think all 20" folding bicycles I've seen w/panniers are using taller racks, originally meant for 26 or 700c wheel bicycles.
Old 12-01-22, 11:52 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Maybe try a better online source that is Australia based or ships to Australia.

Here in Singapore, we have sites that also get their stuff from China, a bit more expensive, but has good buyer protection and refund policy. (Eg. Lazada, Shopee )
Maybe Amazon?
Old 12-02-22, 12:31 AM
soyabean

Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 246 Posts
Racks for 20" folding bikes/ebikes need to be frame specific.

Most racks for typical 26"+ almost never work since they hug too close towards the seatpost.

Look at 20" bikes that include racks from the factory, you want to get something like those.

I suggest against mailorder as it will be a hit and miss game.

Your LBS will cooperate in finding a compatible rack, they have branded racks like Axiom, Filzer, Thule.

Used shops/dealers/flippers may also have something lying around for donor.

20" folding bikes aren't new, many came with racks.

Old 12-02-22, 01:19 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Maybe Origami will sell their new Swift rear rack separately? The front attachments may need to be p clamps on some bikes.
Old 12-02-22, 03:50 AM
Reddleman
iti biking

Bikes: Tern Link D8, much upgraded

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 50 Posts
Hello from the other side of the Tasman. I can confirm that the Tern Cargo Rack can work with longer panniers and reasonably large feet. For taller panniers you can either adjust the height of the Tern Cargo Rack and set it at 24” wheel height on a 20” wheeled bike frame, or otherwise look for a full size rack that plays well with the lower mounting points on the seat stays of a folding bike. Racks like the Blackburn Grid or Central use relocatable struts that can be fixed lower down on the rack to connect with the seat stays - I use the former on a Tern Link to comfortably attach Carradice rear panniers without heel strike and with plenty of ground clearance.
Likes For Reddleman:
Old 12-02-22, 08:09 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by Nyah
I don't have any first-hand experience w/panniers yet, but, for my mini-velo that has much longer chainstays than any folding bicycle, I'm going to use a Racktime Foldit Fix rear rack for 20". Another rack-specialty company to peruse is AltanVelo. They seem to have a relatively large selection of racks for 20". There's also the Tern Cargo Rack. I can't confirm that any of these will afford enough distance of the panniers from your feet. I think all 20" folding bicycles I've seen w/panniers are using taller racks, originally meant for 26 or 700c wheel bicycles.
Oh thanks havent heard of these brands yet. Yes i had seen online people using tall pannier racks when touring but every day use like myself you dont see them where i am. Seems the only 20" bikes here are ebikes and the vast majority are food delivery bikes that have no rack as the drivers use bags to carry the food. Oh do you mean by afford distance from my feet in the sense my feet might hit the bags? i have a rack currently and a bag. My rack is breaking and has done for years in different places so i am used to that subject. its just a matter of adjusting things. I wouldnt know how to use a taller rack
Likes For rapattack:
Old 12-02-22, 08:13 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by pinholecam
Maybe try a better online source that is Australia based or ships to Australia.

Here in Singapore, we have sites that also get their stuff from China, a bit more expensive, but has good buyer protection and refund policy. (Eg. Lazada, Shopee )
Maybe Amazon?
No thats why i am asking here. cant find anything online or in shops here. yes i tried aliexpress and the rack was horrid. prices are good from china to here but you dont know what you are getting. amazon is way over priced here. its rare i get anything from them. seems i cant shop on either site you mentioned. maybe we are too far away
Old 12-02-22, 09:37 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
Maybe Origami will sell their new Swift rear rack separately? The front attachments may need to be p clamps on some bikes.
I won't have them for a couple of months, but can make them avaiable.
Old 12-02-22, 11:47 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Originally Posted by rapattack
Oh thanks havent heard of these brands yet. Yes i had seen online people using tall pannier racks when touring but every day use like myself you dont see them where i am. Seems the only 20" bikes here are ebikes and the vast majority are food delivery bikes that have no rack as the drivers use bags to carry the food. Oh do you mean by afford distance from my feet in the sense my feet might hit the bags? i have a rack currently and a bag. My rack is breaking and has done for years in different places so i am used to that subject. its just a matter of adjusting things. I wouldnt know how to use a taller rack
That is what I mean, yes. Folding bicycles with 20" (or smaller) wheels usually have short chainstays, which effectively puts the pannier close to your foot when the pedal is at the 9 o'clock position of the crank (3 o'clock when viewed from the left side). It's often referred to as heel-strike. Reddleman's post offers good tips for avoiding the problem.

I do a lot of everyday cargo utility with my 20" folding bicycle, even without panniers. Instead of panniers, I strap wire baskets to the tops of the racks, which can then conveniently hold bags. Velcro wrap-straps are good for securing the basket. Yes, the basket obstructs the fold. How else are you going to transport a 40 lb bag of cat litter pellets, though? Keep the baskets on and walk the bicycle around the store with you. It's more maneuverable than a shopping cart.
Likes For Nyah:
Old 12-02-22, 12:26 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

From Reddleman's post, I'd say that the Tern Cargo Rack is a great choice. It has adjustable height. Make it taller when you want to use full-size panniers. Most of the promo photos of it may be confusing because Tern shows it mounted on a 26" wheel bicycle.
Old 12-02-22, 08:54 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
One more voice for the Tern Cargo Rack. I put that rack on my 20" Bike Friday NWT and surpassed anything I tried before in terms of performance, including the original Bike Friday rack. The Tern rack does not fold, unlike the one from Bike Friday, but in packing the bike and its add-ons you anyway need to be creative making different items mesh together and fill the space in a suitcase - not a lot of change in the packing.
Old 12-03-22, 01:16 AM
Pine Cone

Bikes: 2-many...2 road bikes, 2 fixed wheels, 3 tandems, 2 recumbents, 2 cyclecross, 3 mtb, 4 folders

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
From Reddleman's post, I'd say that the Tern Cargo Rack is a great choice. It has adjustable height. Make it taller when you want to use full-size panniers. Most of the promo photos of it may be confusing because Tern shows it mounted on a 26" wheel bicycle.
Yup, find a Tern Cargo Rack. Very adjustable, works fine on my 20" wheel Bike Friday folder.
Old 12-03-22, 01:35 AM
Antifriction

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
I researched and ended up buying a rack with extensible legs, meant to fit bikes with 24" to 29" wheels, removing the leg extension and drilling to turn one of the adjustment holes on the leg into a through hole. Works great: height is ideal (just clear of wheel). If that's of interest, it was an Axiom Journey 2429. Because it's intended to fit a wide variety of bikes, its front attachment rods also extend and rotate up and down, and to avoid heelstrike I have them fully extended & mount my pannier as far back as possible.

Last edited by Antifriction; 12-03-22 at 01:42 AM.
Old 12-03-22, 02:10 AM
Blackstrida_A_

Bikes: Strida SD, SDe, Evo, Strida efneo

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I am in Australia...
Hi, greets from Austria

hollandbikeshop.com//luggage-carrier

Sorry, dubious page, plz delete this link, thanks!

omafiets.com.au/tern-cargo-rack

Last edited by Blackstrida_A_; 12-04-22 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Link removed.
Likes For Blackstrida_A_:
Old 12-03-22, 05:47 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
There are two versions of the Racktime Foldit rack. I would suggest the adjustable version, as you can set the rack height at three different levels. A tall pannier might need a taller rack.
https://www.racktime.com/en/racktime...dit-adjustable

Racktime and Tubus are the same company, they make longer (optional) seat stay brackets if you need them longer on your bike.

The rack in the photo is my Airnimal bike, Racktime Foldit Adjustable rack and extra long brackets to the seatstays. I set the rack height at the tallest in the photo.

Old 12-04-22, 08:47 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by soyabean
Racks for 20" folding bikes/ebikes need to be frame specific.

Most racks for typical 26"+ almost never work since they hug too close towards the seatpost.

Look at 20" bikes that include racks from the factory, you want to get something like those.

I suggest against mailorder as it will be a hit and miss game.

Your LBS will cooperate in finding a compatible rack, they have branded racks like Axiom, Filzer, Thule.

Used shops/dealers/flippers may also have something lying around for donor.

20" folding bikes aren't new, many came with racks.

sounds right to me. that rack looks good. yeah no so far nothing online is any good and really dont have the money to keep ordering without it being something definate.on a pension so cant throw money around. LBS? local bike store. yeah no nothing around here like that that know 20" bikes. have had trouble with this for over 10 years. Altho might be onto a store i thought had closed that is out of my area. they must have reopened during covid times. so cycling down there when my energy allows. used stuff is hard to get here too. i am tho going to check out a place i havent been to since covid. its sort of a junk place that used to have workshops to fix things. that is also out of my area so will have to wait also. yes my bike came with a rack and gradually broke parts off it. its still barely holding one bike bag tho so not totally gone. 20" bikes are only common if an ebike like mine otherwise they are kids bikes and they never have racks. i often go to places where people throw out bikes and never see a rack.
Old 12-04-22, 08:49 AM
rapattack

oh thanks they would cost a fortune to send to australia i am afraid
Old 12-04-22, 08:50 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by Antifriction
I researched and ended up buying a rack with extensible legs, meant to fit bikes with 24" to 29" wheels, removing the leg extension and drilling to turn one of the adjustment holes on the leg into a through hole. Works great: height is ideal (just clear of wheel). If that's of interest, it was an Axiom Journey 2429. Because it's intended to fit a wide variety of bikes, its front attachment rods also extend and rotate up and down, and to avoid heelstrike I have them fully extended & mount my pannier as far back as possible.
oh i think i know what you mean but i am not sure. i dont have the skills to drill or know anyone that would i am afraid. i do have a drill but i have never drilled metal. i wouldnt know what i am doing.
Old 12-04-22, 08:52 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by 2_i
One more voice for the Tern Cargo Rack. I put that rack on my 20" Bike Friday NWT and surpassed anything I tried before in terms of performance, including the original Bike Friday rack. The Tern rack does not fold, unlike the one from Bike Friday, but in packing the bike and its add-ons you anyway need to be creative making different items mesh together and fill the space in a suitcase - not a lot of change in the packing.
Cool i am just having trouble sourcing anything in australia . its very costly having anything sent here from overseas. i most likely wont fold my bike much. i think i have folded it 2 times in 9 years
Old 12-04-22, 08:53 AM
rapattack

thanks looking into some of these brands in an australian store and its been hard. overseas senders charge unreal prices for postage
Old 12-04-22, 08:58 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by BikeLite
oh seems they dont
Old 12-04-22, 09:59 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
Cool i am just having trouble sourcing anything in australia . its very costly having anything sent here from overseas.
See whether you can combine the order with anything else from the particular vendor, that you may need or may sell well on Ebay in Australia. I had situations where the extra items I ordered sold for prices that completely covered the shipping from Europe to US. It might be, e.g., that other people in AU could be interested in the Tern Cargo racks - you have to poke around checking, e.g., what sold and for how much on Ebay in the past.
Old 12-04-22, 12:17 PM
Reddleman
iti biking

Bikes: Tern Link D8, much upgraded

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 50 Posts
If you want a Tern Cargo Rack, omafiets.com.au is an Aussie online bike store with a Dutch name. Try them. Alternatively, look on Tern’s website for their list of dealers near you and buy from whoever there is closest to you.
Old 12-04-22, 06:54 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
No thats why i am asking here. cant find anything online or in shops here. yes i tried aliexpress and the rack was horrid. prices are good from china to here but you dont know what you are getting. amazon is way over priced here. its rare i get anything from them. seems i cant shop on either site you mentioned. maybe we are too far away

Could you do with a Carradice Bagman type saddle clamp carrier?

I have one and its really good.
Of course you can use any correct sized bag on it (just need to strap/bungee it down )
Bagman Standard Saddlebag Support - Carradice Bicycle Bags

I have one at its really good for a day bag.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.