Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Seat post slides down

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Seat post slides down

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-22, 09:42 AM
rapattack

Bikes: EziGo zoom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
27.2 mm is a standard one. So it's probably that.
oh ok so the 31.8mm one is the one to get as it covers that size
Old 12-04-22, 09:46 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by rapattack
oh ok so the 31.8mm one is the one to get as it covers that size
Ok, I can't tell. You're the one who can measure it. Is the one on the existing seat TUBE cracked? Is the seat tube cracked?
Old 12-04-22, 11:10 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked 1,453 Times in 1,132 Posts
Some seatposts are marked with their size. But some only had a sticker that falls off later.

If you do not have a good caliper to measure the diameter, you could wrap a piece of paper around it to measure the circumference. Then divide that by 3.14159 to get diameter.

A 27.2mm seatpost would have a circumference of roughly 85.5mm. I assume all you have to measure with is a tape measure or ruler.
Old 12-04-22, 04:32 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Some seatposts are marked with their size. But some only had a sticker that falls off later.

If you do not have a good caliper to measure the diameter, you could wrap a piece of paper around it to measure the circumference. Then divide that by 3.14159 to get diameter.

A 27.2mm seatpost would have a circumference of roughly 85.5mm. I assume all you have to measure with is a tape measure or ruler.
Just pull the seatpost out and measure it.
Old 12-04-22, 07:00 PM
rapattack

Ok, I can't tell. You're the one who can measure it. Is the one on the existing seat TUBE cracked? Is the seat tube cracked?
yeah no it says in the description on the site that that measurement fits my seatpost. my seatpost is 27.4mm
Old 12-04-22, 07:14 PM
rapattack

yes its 27.4mm. sorry cant tell who i said that to. nothing cracked.
Old 12-04-22, 07:14 PM
rapattack

Just pull the seatpost out and measure it.
yup 27.4mm
Old 12-05-22, 08:54 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265936100831
Old 12-05-22, 09:29 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by cat0020
sorry why did u post that? i dont need a new seatpost
Old 12-05-22, 10:38 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
Consider the age of your frame, likely the seattube has expanded enough that original diameter seatpost is no longer fitting. That or seat clamp is worn out that you should consider replacement.
Either way, the picture you posted of your seatpost doesn't really help diagnose the problem of your seatpost slipping.
If it is an aftermarket suspension seatpost that you have been using, likely the diameter of the seatpost is not quite what you need.
Good luck with solving your problem.
Old 12-05-22, 06:43 PM
CEBEP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
As I assume already suggested you could use a degreaser to remove any oil. You could also consider a double seatpost clamp if they are available for your size. Here is a model and I believe they maybe available with quick release. What it does is it’s one piece but has 2 different parts, one clamps around the frame as your standard clamp and another has a smaller diameter and clamps around the seat post providing additional friction.

Here is a sample of clamp without quick release but maybe they are also available with quick release for your seat post size.
Old 12-06-22, 08:46 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by cat0020
Consider the age of your frame, likely the seattube has expanded enough that original diameter seatpost is no longer fitting. That or seat clamp is worn out that you should consider replacement.
Either way, the picture you posted of your seatpost doesn't really help diagnose the problem of your seatpost slipping.
If it is an aftermarket suspension seatpost that you have been using, likely the diameter of the seatpost is not quite what you need.
Good luck with solving your problem.
Oh i dont know. if i can i might get the mobile mechanic to look and see what he says. the seatclamp i cant see how its possible thats worn out. cant explain it but theres something different. yes it wouldnt explain much the picture. just that someone wanted the picture. what is after market?not sure what you mean about not what i need. thanks i just gotta find time to progress further. i will also try and get to a community bike place where there are tools and possibly someone that is either good at fixing bikes or is an actual working bike mechanic
Old 12-11-22, 10:11 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Degreaser has been used on the seatpost, but has the inside of the seat tube been so treated? Residual grease might be the reason for the slippage.
(Voice of Experience speaking!)
Old 12-12-22, 08:17 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by sweeks
Degreaser has been used on the seatpost, but has the inside of the seat tube been so treated? Residual grease might be the reason for the slippage.
(Voice of Experience speaking!)
HI i dont remember. it was a bike mechanic that did that and i wasnt paying attention.
Old 12-12-22, 01:52 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
HI i dont remember. it was a bike mechanic that did that and i wasnt paying attention.
​ ​That bike you have, which you've CONSTANTLY asked for help with, is OLD. Get a new seatpost AND clamp and be done with it. Or add another clamp, which was also recommended for you to do. The bike is old and beat up. They don't last forever,...especially since it's what you use all the time.
Old 12-13-22, 09:12 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
HI i don't remember. it was a bike mechanic that did that and i wasn't paying attention.
Well, if all else fails, degrease the inside of your seat tube and the seatpost using rags and a suitable degreaser. Acetone is a good choice with adequate ventilation and avoiding skin contact.
Nothing wrong with trying to fix a bike just because it's old... but you now have several possible solutions to your problems.

Off-topic, it looks like you may have a crack in your seat tube radiating out from the "stress-breaker" hole at the bottom of the slot in your seat tube. The resolution of your original image isn't quite good enough to tell, but there's a white line extending circumferentially from the bottom of the slot. If this is a crack, it won't cause a catastrophic failure, but eventually you won't be able to lift the bike by the saddle without the seatpost coming out. (Ask me how I know!)
Likes For sweeks:
Old 12-15-22, 04:13 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by sweeks
Well, if all else fails, degrease the inside of your seat tube and the seatpost using rags and a suitable degreaser. Acetone is a good choice with adequate ventilation and avoiding skin contact.
Nothing wrong with trying to fix a bike just because it's old... but you now have several possible solutions to your problems.

Off-topic, it looks like you may have a crack in your seat tube radiating out from the "stress-breaker" hole at the bottom of the slot in your seat tube. The resolution of your original image isn't quite good enough to tell, but there's a white line extending circumferentially from the bottom of the slot. If this is a crack, it won't cause a catastrophic failure, but eventually you won't be able to lift the bike by the saddle without the seatpost coming out. (Ask me how I know!)
oh thanks i wont have time i am afraid and dont have any degreaser. no acetone either. i presume the bike mechanic did all that. i did try something else prior but i cant remember. some similar product...disability so memory is an issue. yeah the bike is good.
ok i have no idea where that is. i generally dont lift the bike via the seatpost. past experience has taught me not to. ebikes ae also way too heavy. i scoot the bike via the pannier rack or a lower part of the frame.
Old 12-15-22, 05:00 PM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 222 Posts
I check this thread every day or so hoping the OP has solved his slipping seat post problem. Alas, no joy again today.
Old 12-18-22, 09:04 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by GeezyRider
I check this thread every day or so hoping the OP has solved his slipping seat post problem. Alas, no joy again today.
nope i am trying. replaced the quick release thing(forgot what its called-had a spare one) and it works better. clamps hard but still if i go over bumps it tends to slip. just not as bad as before. sorry dont have time to check this every day
Old 12-18-22, 11:12 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 222 Posts
nope i am trying. replaced the quick release thing(forgot what its called-had a spare one) and it works better. clamps hard but still if i go over bumps it tends to slip. just not as bad as before. sorry dont have time to check this every day
Understood. Best of luck in solving the problem.
Old 12-20-22, 02:38 AM
rapattack

seatpost out and yes there is a crack in the part it goes onto

Old 12-21-22, 09:42 AM
rapattack

i went past a bike store i forgot about today and got this replaced. had a small ride after and seems to work. we discussed how i cud repair the split. might be able to find someone to weld it
Old 12-22-22, 06:22 AM
rapattack

Another day of riding with my trailer attached and its doing the right thing. so pretty happy. didnt think the cuff was the issue and maybe it was