Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on switching to an internally geared hub?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-31-10, 11:17 AM
itsthewoo

Bikes: Trek SU100, Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been thinking about converting my Surly Cross Check into an internally geared hub driven bike. I've currently got the stock derailleur system and chain, so I figured that my only costs would be in having the wheel rebuilt (to un-dish it). I live in Florida, so the terrain isn't too crazy, but I'm sticking with gears for better acceleration and windy days. The hub I'm looking at is the Shimano Nexus with 7 gears.

What other hardware would I need? I assume that bar-end shifters in friction mode would still work fine with the hub, but I've never seen one in person, so I don't know for sure.

Other things I've considered was getting rid of the double and the front derailleur, but I figured that the extra gearing would be worth keeping. However, I'd need a chain tensioner to still use the front derailleur, yes?
Old 05-31-10, 11:26 AM
king koeller
BIKE MECHANIC

Bikes: 1975 Full Campy N.R. Centurian Super Lemans,1984 Focus Vintage pre susp. mountain, hardtail,suntour xc sport, many treks, diamondbacks, and, 1950' crusier J.C.Higgins,triex (road) and kakakura silk (road)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It it was me, keep the bike as it is and buy a new bike that has the internal geaered hub. It's not worth redishing the rear wheel.
If it ain't broke don't fix it. What is to be gained be removing your double chain ring and front derailleur. nothing. Bottom line, it's yours to do what ever you want to it, but what is to be gained?
Your bike is fine the way it is...

Last edited by king koeller; 05-31-10 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-31-10, 11:32 AM
SweetLou

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You would need a tensioner if you go with a double. The bar ends will not work. Well, you could put them in friction mode, but that is not ideal. You might just barely shift or just a bit too much shift and the gearing wouldn't be how it is suppose to be. JTEK Engineering does make a bar end for the 7 speed. You could also use the Shimano shifter with a plug that goes into the end of your bars. I forget what it is called.
Old 05-31-10, 11:45 AM
itsthewoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by king koeller
It it was me, keep the bike as it is and buy a new bike that has the internal geaered hub. It's not worth redishing the rear wheel.
If it ain't broke don't fix it. What is to be gained be removing you double chain ring and front derailleur. nothing. Bottom line, it's yours to do what ever you want to it, but what is to be gained?
Your bike is fine the way it is...
That's all very true. I just get too excited about the possibility of upgrading stuff .
Old 05-31-10, 11:50 AM
king koeller
BIKE MECHANIC

Bikes: 1975 Full Campy N.R. Centurian Super Lemans,1984 Focus Vintage pre susp. mountain, hardtail,suntour xc sport, many treks, diamondbacks, and, 1950' crusier J.C.Higgins,triex (road) and kakakura silk (road)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes I get that way also, I constantly want to upgrade, but sometimes I need to stop and enjoy what I have.
Old 06-01-10, 04:08 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by itsthewoo
That's all very true. I just get too excited about the possibility of upgrading stuff .
LOL. If you did it, I would just buy a new rear rim. You're already going to have to buy new spokes and pay to have them put on - this way you can go back if it doesn't work out.

However, owning a bike with an internal derailler that I use for winter riding, I would ask - "Why??". I'm trying to avoid my gears getting iced up, or absolutely covered with road salt and sand in winter riding on the roads here. But I gotta tell you - I have ridden my IGH bike in the summer several times (with summer tires, obviously) and it's slower to accelerate, the gears are spaced further apart, it's more work to pedal compared to a derailler bike. And since it has a chain there's really no maintenance advantage. I actually bought a 2nd road bike for commuting in the summer because I like the gearing (plus the drop bars, and at the time the ease of getting drop bars in and out of my car) better.

If you REALLY want to upgrade ;-), you should get one of the latest bikes that has an IGH and a belt drive! :-D :-D I am serious though - you'll still have some of the slight disadvantages of an IGH, but with no chain to oil or get grease on stuff you'll have less maintenance and no chain oil getting over stuff. In my opinion, owning an IGH, there's not much advantage to it, and I find the supposed maintenance benefits (with a chain, different with a belt I think) highly, highly overrated.
Old 06-02-10, 02:36 AM
itsthewoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about the technological "cool factor"?
Old 06-02-10, 09:18 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by itsthewoo
What about the technological "cool factor"?
But duuuuude, IGH+Chain is soooooooooo 2005 man!

IGH+Belt Drive is the new coolest schtuff!

Last edited by PaulRivers; 06-02-10 at 09:22 AM.