Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

No Helmet Trend?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

No Helmet Trend?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-09, 03:27 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by king koeller
I'm so sick of the non helmet people trying to convince everyone why they shouldn't have to wear a helmet. Some things in life are a given.Don't stick a fork into a electrical outlet.If you smoke you will end or shorten your life span. If you ride a bike without a helmet, you can suffer a major concussion, brain aneurysm, or death when you get into an accident. The question isn't if but when...We don't know the future... The Shuttle astronauts thought everything was A-OK before they blew up...Don't give me that wear a helmet crap about the shower, This is not the Shower forum, this is the Bike forum. And please.. I don't buy that horse dung about "I'm too great a rider to ever crash! Bull!
Anybody can crash at any time!!! My friend Jim, on this forum was killed by some stupid teenager who was texting on his cell phone while driving a big ass truck. Jim had on his helmet and he still died. The helmet is no guarantee that it will save your life. But by not not wearing the helmet your odds are higher then ever that you will die or become a vegetable. I'm not God, we can't predict the future, the helmet is insurance. All non-helmet people please cancel your car insurance, you'll never get into an accident, your driving skills are so advanced. Also please stop complaining about other people who bug you to wear a helmet, when you go for group rides. They only want you to be safe. It's funny you don't want to be told to be safe. You want the right to do whatever you want. Ride without a helmet, stick a fork into a light socket, drink a glass of Gasoline, take a nap on the railroad tracks, kiss a rattle snake. Have fun! Do your own thing!!
I'm so sick of the helmet people trying to convince everyone why they should have to wear a helmet. Some things in life are a given.Don't stick a bicycle fork into a electrical outlet, the dropouts won't fit.If you smoke you will die. If you ride a bike with a helmet, you can suffer a major brain aneurysm that will lead to fundamentalist self-righteousness before you get into an accident. The question isn't if but when...We don't know the future... The Shuttle astronauts were not wearing helmets before they blew up...Don't give me that crap about wearing a helmet would have saved them, This is not the nanny forum, this is the bike forum. And please.. I really do buy that line about "I balance my bike so badly, I'll crash before I ever get on!" You said it first!
Anybody can crash at any time!!! Your friend Jim, on this forum was killed by some stupid teenager who was texting on his cell phone while driving a big ass truck. Jim had on his helmet and he still died. So you've just proven that a helmet is no guarantee that it will save your life. But by not not wearing the helmet your odds are higher then ever that some vegetable-eating ninny will call foul. I'm not God, we can't predict the future, the helmet isn't insurance. All helmet people please cancel your insurance, you'll never get into an accident, you're so advanced by wearing a helmet that your invincible. Also please stop complaining about other people who have the decency to keep shut about helmets, when you go for group rides. They don't need a life like safety nannies, they mind their own business. It's funny you insist on telling everyone else to be safe. You want the right to tell everyone that they should do only what you want. Ride without a helmet, stick a fork into a light socket, drink a glass of Gasoline, take a nap on the railroad tracks, kiss a rattle snake. My life isn't your life. You do your own thing, and I'll do mine!!

And for those who wish to read the parody in reasonably understandable English:

I'm sick of the helmet people trying to convince the world that should have to wear a helmet. Fact is, some of the things in life are a given: Don't stick a fork into a electrical outlet, the dropouts will not fit. If you smoke cigarettes you will DIE!!!!!!, and if you ride a bike with a helmet, you can suffer a major brain aneurysm leading to immediate fundamentalism and self-righteousness - before you ever get into an accident in the first place.

The question isn't "if," but "when." We don't know the future. The shuttle astronauts were not wearing helmets before they blew up. Don't give me that nonsense that "helmets would have saved them." This is not the nanny forum, this is BikeForums.

And please - I do buy that line about people that balance their bikes so badly that they'll crash before they ever get on. After all, you helmet nannies said it first, because you can't balance in the first place.

Anybody can crash at any time! Your (king koeller's) friend Jim, a member of this forum, was killed by a stupid teenager who was texting while driving a large truck. Jim was wearing his helmet, regardless, he died from the injuries. In other words, you, King Koeller, have just proven that a helmet does not guarantee that one's life will be saved in an accident as a direct result of its use.

That said, by not not wearing a helmet, the odds are far higher that some vegetable-eating ninny will call foul. I'm not God, we can't predict the future, and a helmet isn't insurance. All helmet people should therefore cancel their insurance for they'll never get into an accident, as they think that wearing a helmet makes them invincible. In addition, please stop complaining about group ride participants who have the decency to refrain from naggin you about helmets. They don't need a life and they mind their own business - unlike safety nannies.

It's funny you insist on telling everyone else to be safe. You, King Koeller, want the right to tell everyone that they should do whatever you want. Well, my life isn't your life. Do what you want, I'll do what I want, and neither will tell either how to do it. Capish?

Last edited by cudak888; 09-15-09 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-15-09, 03:32 PM
randya

Bikes: who cares?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Future is Unwritten
-Joe Strummer
Old 09-15-09, 03:40 PM
king koeller
BIKE MECHANIC

Bikes: 1975 Full Campy N.R. Centurian Super Lemans,1984 Focus Vintage pre susp. mountain, hardtail,suntour xc sport, many treks, diamondbacks, and, 1950' crusier J.C.Higgins,triex (road) and kakakura silk (road)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will always wear my helmet.
You're on you own.......
Let's see who lives the longest...
Old 09-15-09, 03:40 PM
neil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find myself largely ambivalent towards people's personal choice whether or not to wear a helmet. I've always worn one, and will continue to, as I see no downside. (Also, peer pressure supports helmet wearing amongst my crowd. I'm as susceptible as the next guy).

The charts I've seen regarding helmet use suggest to me that increases in voluntary helmet use do decrease injury, while mandated helmet use does not. This suggests that the more cautious cyclists - the ones likely to embrace helmets voluntarily - are more likely to be involved in the kinds of crashes that a helmet will help with.

Where I live, the only groups I see without helmets (despite the fact that there is no legal mandate) are the bums who can't ride in a straight line and the "too cool for you" crowd who are also too cool for red lights and signaling. It strikes me that those are two groups likely to be involved in higher impact crashes where a helmet won't do much good.
Old 09-15-09, 03:45 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DallasSoxFan
Interesting chart. First off, applying results from one sample (New zealand) to the united states is spurious. However, I will grant you the cross-population example.

What I see in your chart is a continuing downward trend through increased helmet use. At the critical mass point of 42% use occurring in 1993 it does appear that there is diminishing returns to wearing helmets. However, and this is very important, there is a continuing downward trend.

Though it does not have the same inverse-slope coefficient, it does appear significant.

However, you could throw out this significance if you determined it was collinear with other factors, such as driver/biker education, government enforcement, etc.

You simply can't have it both ways, either your graph shows decreased injury with higher usage, albeit with diminishing returns, or it shows that the chart is invalid due to an unknown collinearity.
The general downward trend in head injuries for cyclists is matched in that country by a similar trend for pedestrians and has been ascribed to a variety of factors: driver education efforts, anti-DUI education and enforcement, etc. The fact that it is similar for both pedestrians and cyclists and that it did not change with the sudden rapid increase in helmet usage upon passage of the helmet law is good evidence that it is *not* the result of helmet usage.

New Zealand and Australia are good countries for analyzing the effects of helmet usage in the real world since both countries instituted mandatory helmet wearing laws for cyclists of all ages and had substantial enforcement programs as well as educational campaigns to increase usage. So there was a very dramatic increase in helmet usage in a short period of time. If you have specific reasons why you feel that the apparent lack of effectiveness of helmets in those countries would not apply to the US then feel free to list them - but just saying the results in one country can't be applied elsewhere isn't very convincing. Especially when comparing countries that are pretty similar in cycling usage, educational and economic conditions, etc.
Old 09-15-09, 03:46 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
You're on you own.......
My crystal ball says me.

UD
Old 09-15-09, 03:48 PM
BLUMEANIE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went down the other day. First time I've ever hit my head in almost 10yrs of serious cycling as an adult. A friend stopped short in front of me while I glanced down at the computer. I stumbled away with no injuries other than a minor concussion and several pieces of helmet. Would have been way worse had I not been wearing one.
Old 09-15-09, 03:48 PM
danarnold
Kaffee Nazi

Bikes: 2009 Kestrel RT800, 2007 Roubaix, 1976 Lambert-Viscount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any post that starts out with, 'My friend Jim...' announces the author knows nothing of science. How many times must it be stated, anecdotal evidence is a contradiction in terms. It is not evidence.

Example: "My friend Winston Churchill smoked several cigars a day and drank a couple bottles of port and he lived to 90 and was at the top of his game at that age; therefore tobacco and alcohol not only won't hurt you, they're good for you."

Purest bull puckey, whether it's about helmets or seegars.

Where I ride, helmets are worn by 99% of the serious cyclists. I've yet to talk to one who can give any justification for wearing one, other than, "I crashed once and..." or "My friend Jim was wearing his helmet and...." Poppycock!

Show me a statistic arising from a scientifically designed, peer reviewed study, which demonstrates bicycling is significantly more dangerous than a a pedestrian crossing a street, or driving a car AND demonstrate that a helmet does substantially more good than harm in a serious accident and I'll listen.

Until then, 'My friend Jim...' is meaningless except to signal you don't have a clue about science.
Old 09-15-09, 03:51 PM
danarnold
Kaffee Nazi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BLUMEANIE
....Would have been way worse had I not been wearing one.
How do you know that? You don't. You're guessing. This is another version of 'My friend Jim....'
Old 09-15-09, 03:55 PM
danarnold
Kaffee Nazi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neil
Where I live, the only groups I see without helmets (despite the fact that there is no legal mandate) are the bums who can't ride in a straight line and the "too cool for you" crowd who are also too cool for red lights and signaling. It strikes me that those are two groups likely to be involved in higher impact crashes where a helmet won't do much good.
Where I live the only people I see not wearing a helmet are serious, fast riders who appear to be competent.
OTOH I see hundreds of inept nerds and children wobbling along, riding the wrong way on bike paths, sidewalks and the street wearing their helmets as if they are magic amulets that will guarantee their safety.

This is yet another version of 'My friend Jim wore (or didn't) his helmet and....'

Why can't you helmet advocates find any science that supports your viewpoint?
Old 09-15-09, 03:56 PM
randya

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I went down the other day. First time I've ever hit my head in almost 10yrs of serious cycling as an adult. A friend stopped short in front of me while I glanced down at the computer. I stumbled away with no injuries other than a minor concussion and several pieces of helmet. Would have been way worse had I not been wearing one.
not paying attention; get rid of the computer, problem solved!
Old 09-15-09, 04:03 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
Whew, glad I got rid of my cyclecomputer a couple years ago.
Old 09-15-09, 04:05 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
You're on you own.......
I ride with Mr. Tuffies in my tires. If you don't, you're going to get a front blowout on a downhill curve and DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH. It's not a question of if, but when.

You're on your own.
Old 09-15-09, 04:08 PM
AltheCyclist

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
danarnold makes a good point. It's a similar arguement to air bags or 3rd tail-lights in cars -- somehow they were supposed to decrease accident injuries but statistically, you're not any safer with such devices. Personally, I'd rather have a mirror on my bike than a helmet for safety.
Old 09-15-09, 04:11 PM
randya

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AltheCyclist
Personally, I'd rather have a mirror on my bike than a helmet for safety.
A big +1 on this!

Old 09-15-09, 04:11 PM
randya

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I ride with Mr. Tuffies in my tires. If you don't, you're going to get a front blowout on a downhill curve and DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH. It's not a question of if, but when.

You're on your own.
Obviously, we need a mandatory Mr. Tuffie law

Old 09-15-09, 04:14 PM
rando

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A no helmet trend -- excellent! eliminates the perception that riding a bike is an intensely dangerous activity! Might get some people starting to think about riding for transportation if they see regular folks in regular clothes doing it. the most important thing you can do to maintain your own safety is to pay attention to what is going on around you, not the wearing of a helmet.

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
Old 09-15-09, 04:23 PM
king koeller
BIKE MECHANIC

Bikes: 1975 Full Campy N.R. Centurian Super Lemans,1984 Focus Vintage pre susp. mountain, hardtail,suntour xc sport, many treks, diamondbacks, and, 1950' crusier J.C.Higgins,triex (road) and kakakura silk (road)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My friend Jim is someone you don't know, because you haven't been a member of this forum as long as I have.:
https://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/a...aspx?id=858214
For those that don't know, former forum member, Sydney -- real name, Jim Price, aka Bourdreaux -- was hit and killed while riding his road bike by a driver who was texting on a mobile phone.
You can shove your Mr. Tuffies up your @$$.
The anti helmet people are just big babies, who don't want to be told what to do!
Boo Hoo,
Change your diaper.
Go ahead, ride your bikes all day without a helmet, you're so cool!
Why don't you put your lips on the tail pipe too! Breath in ! It's not going to kill you!
Old 09-15-09, 04:28 PM
randya

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My friend Jim is someone you don't know, because you haven't been a member of this forum as long as I have.:
For those that don't know, former forum member, Sydney -- real name, Jim Price, aka Bourdreaux -- was hit and killed while riding his road bike by a driver who was texting on a mobile phone.
The anti helmet people are just big babies, who don't want to be told what to do!
Boo Hoo,
Change your diaper.
Why don't you put your lips on the tail pipe too! Breath in ! It's not going to kill you!
you write like you've got brain damage, is that from a bike accident or sniffing too much glue?
Old 09-15-09, 04:30 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by randya
you write like you've got brain damage, is that from a bike accident or sniffing too much glue?
It's Lloyd Bridges run amuk.

-Kurt

Old 09-15-09, 04:31 PM
rando

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Calm down, Beavis!

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
Old 09-15-09, 04:33 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Boo Hoo,
Change your diaper.
Ironic, considering you are throwing the biggest tantrum here. I have been here long enough to read Sydney posts, way to drag him in to this BS argument and use his tragic death to support your rant.

UD
Old 09-15-09, 05:26 PM
jefferee
Que CERA, CERA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AltheCyclist
Personally, I'd rather have a mirror on my bike than a helmet for safety.
I like my helmet mirror. At least now my helmet serves a useful purpose.

I jest, somewhat--I figure always wearing a helmet will probably someday save me from getting a nice lump on my skull or some stitches in my scalp. I do not believe it will lessen my risk of serious injury or death.
Old 09-15-09, 05:48 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Originally Posted by jefferee
I like my helmet mirror. At least now my helmet serves a useful purpose.

I jest, somewhat--I figure always wearing a helmet will probably someday save me from getting a nice lump on my skull or some stitches in my scalp. I do not believe it will lessen my risk of serious injury or death.
You are way too reasonable for this forum.

UD
Old 09-15-09, 07:33 PM
Ajenkins
Dogs like me.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ajenkins
My daughter's 16th birthday is coming up soon. For her birthday, I'm throwing away her helmet.
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Best antihelmet zealot parody ever.
I wasn't kidding. I will gladly chuck that irredeemable piece of unrecyclable plastic into the trash can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.