Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

No Helmet Trend?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

No Helmet Trend?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-09, 08:02 PM
alhedges

Bikes: NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DallasSoxFan
Oh, and in the "Immunizations are going to cause autism" idiot camps, they have plenty of charts like yours concerning rate of immunization and incidence of autism.
1. You don't really understand how science works, do you.

2. The immunization-causes-autism charts are not "just like mine".

3. There is lots and lots of valid scientific evidence that shows no connection between vaccination and autism. That is why intelligent people reject the idea that vaccines cause autism. There isn't any similar evidence for the efficacy of helmets, but there is a lot of good evidence that helmets don't have a statistically significant protective effect.
Old 09-15-09, 08:25 PM
Dan The Man

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neil
The charts I've seen regarding helmet use suggest to me that increases in voluntary helmet use do decrease injury, while mandated helmet use does not. This suggests that the more cautious cyclists - the ones likely to embrace helmets voluntarily - are more likely to be involved in the kinds of crashes that a helmet will help with.
...or not involved in crashes at all
Old 09-15-09, 10:06 PM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Had another encounter with the helmet nazi's today...

Riding around 9PM, fully lighted, someone going the other way nearly runs into me... she ran a red light, riding on the wrong side of the rode with no lights.

And she has the audacity to tap her helmet as she goes by.

I -SERIOUSLY- wanted to clothesline her.

Idiots!
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 09-15-09, 11:13 PM
closetbiker

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajenkins
I wasn't kidding. I will gladly chuck that irredeemable piece of unrecyclable plastic into the trash can.
no consequence, no lesson
Old 09-15-09, 11:24 PM
Totaled108
Truck Driver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please, don't wear helmets, we are over populating the planet as it is. I say that but hope not another cyclist ever get hurt.

Both sided of this issue are getting nowhere, but making the divide larger. People are going to do what they do no matter what you say. As long as it's not hurting you or your family, let it go.

Lets work on the crazy, fat Americans and their even fatter kids. They are the people that are bringing down our crappy medical system, and making medical insurance more expensive. That is effecting everyone elses day to day life. Also, I can't go to Winco or Wal-mart, I need to carry a barf bag, seeing all the couples in their early 20s with 3+ kids and only stocking up on TV dinners using food stamps (your tax dollars). Really, this is America?? WOW!!!
And you are all fighting about helmets. We have bigger problems. In the mean time, I don't trust everyone in a car or on a bike around me, and I understand my skull is a little softer then cement or sheet metal, so the skull cap goes on my head. Do what you will, I'm the one smiling on the bike.

Yeah, I'm bitter. Peace and tofu grease!!!

Yes, I do like my guns, all 6 of them.

Last edited by Totaled108; 09-15-09 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-16-09, 12:10 AM
DigiK

Bikes: Kona Dr. Dew '09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To footnote some of the previous posters' sentiments, risk compensation has been scientifically studied and written about in peer-reviewed journals: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9183467
Study shows that humans will typially offset improved safety implementations with increased risk-taking behavior.
Old 09-16-09, 01:23 AM
randya

Bikes: who cares?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Humans are also notoriously unreliable when it come to judging personal risks; for example, driving can easily be shown to be statistically riskier than both bicycling or flying on a commercial airliner, but almost nobody thinks twice not only about driving, but driving distracted, or blatantly violating the rules - that are, after all, designed for public safety - while doing so. Don't even get me started on smoking or other risk-taking activities that huge numbers of people willingly participate in.

The risks associated with bicycling are incredibly low most of the time, and unless you are doing some serious downhilling or other competitive activity, in which case I would recommend 'gearing up' proportional to the risk, I'm all for just cycling around in normal everyday clothing.

If you're so afraid of traffic that you need the false security blanket of a styrofoam bowl on your head, maybe you shouldn't be cycling after all; or maybe you should be working to retraining motorists in the real world, instead of whinging on BF about cycling without a helmet or trying to cram a mandatory helmet law down our throats.
Old 09-16-09, 05:05 AM
king koeller
BIKE MECHANIC

Bikes: 1975 Full Campy N.R. Centurian Super Lemans,1984 Focus Vintage pre susp. mountain, hardtail,suntour xc sport, many treks, diamondbacks, and, 1950' crusier J.C.Higgins,triex (road) and kakakura silk (road)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by randya
you write like you've got brain damage, is that from a bike accident or sniffing too much glue?
Please try to stay on topic...

Helmets save lives but only if you wear them...

I've been lucky in my 40 years of cycling. No accidents.

In 1974, when I raced in a criterion style road rally, the organizers said I needed a helmet to be allowed to participate. This was back in the no helmet times of bike hiking, bike flags, bell bottom pants, free love, drugs, and rock and roll. My friend let me use his leather skid lid which was nothing more than strips of leather. This offered minimal protection. Helmet technology has progressed so much from those days.
If Jim price AKA Sydney were here he would probably side with the helmet users. The Non-users are free to engage in their risky behavior, I just hope they stay safe. This is America, do what you want.
The only brain damage here on this forum is from the non-use of head protection.
My writing style is a reflection of my speaking style.
Have a great day of cycling everyone.
Old 09-16-09, 05:48 AM
Widsith
Philologist

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If there is such a trend, I regard it as a return to normality. For about 100 years, the vast majority of cyclists rode their bicycles without helmets, and somehow the vast majority managed to do so without sustaining head injuries. Many of us rode for decades before we ever saw a bicycle helmet or even knew they existed, yet most of us are still here to talk about it. I started riding as a small child in the late '50s and have never worn a helmet, and I've never gotten a head injury on a bike; neither did any of my family, friends or acquaintances. Bruises, scrapes and the occasional broken bone were the worst that happened to any of us. I didn't need a helmet at the ages of 4, 14 or 24, and I'm not going to start wearing one now at 54.
Old 09-16-09, 05:58 AM
Mitchxout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Widsith
If there is such a trend, I regard it as a return to normality. For about 100 years, the vast majority of cyclists rode their bicycles without helmets, and somehow the vast majority managed to do so without sustaining head injuries. Many of us rode for decades before we ever saw a bicycle helmet or even knew they existed, yet most of us are still here to talk about it. I started riding as a small child in the late '50s and have never worn a helmet, and I've never gotten a head injury on a bike; neither did any of my family, friends or acquaintances. Bruises, scrapes and the occasional broken bone were the worst that happened to any of us. I didn't need a helmet at the ages of 4, 14 or 24, and I'm not going to start wearing one now at 54.
Preaching to the choir.
Old 09-16-09, 07:38 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Widsith
Actually they still do. At least in countries where cycling is not considered this "weird recreational thing or only for people who can't drive for one reason or another".

UD
Old 09-16-09, 09:29 AM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alhedges
>>
Oh, and in the "Immunizations are going to cause autism" idiot camps, they have plenty of charts like yours concerning rate of immunization and incidence of autism.
<<

1. You don't really understand how science works, do you.

2. The immunization-causes-autism charts are not "just like mine".

3. There is lots and lots of valid scientific evidence that shows no connection between vaccination and autism. That is why intelligent people reject the idea that vaccines cause autism. There isn't any similar evidence for the efficacy of helmets, but there is a lot of good evidence that helmets don't have a statistically significant protective effect.
I think the guy has a point. If he's not smart enough to understand a chart or the methodology behind it, how can he be rationally convinced? I admire him for being so frank about his limitations.
Old 09-16-09, 09:38 AM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
I have a helmet hanging in my garage. I keep it for organized rides that require helmet use, but find myself passing up those since I realized the folley of wearing one.

I found that helmet use is directly related to roadie gear the rider is wearing.

Spandex=helmet.
No spandex=no helmet.
Old 09-16-09, 10:03 AM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by capejohn
I have a helmet hanging in my garage. I keep it for organized rides that require helmet use, but find myself passing up those since I realized the folley of wearing one.

I found that helmet use is directly related to roadie gear the rider is wearing.

Spandex=helmet.
No spandex=no helmet.
I beg to disagree:

Old 09-16-09, 10:11 AM
closetbiker

Originally Posted by meanwhile
I beg to disagree:

I don't know. Under all that hair, there might just be a helmet.
Old 09-16-09, 10:44 AM
Da Tinker
Can't ride enough!

Bikes: IFab Crown Jewel, Giant Defy, Hardtail MTB, Fuji finest, Bianchi FG conversion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by closetbiker
I don't know. Under all that hair, there might just be a helmet.
Hmmmmm, given enough mousse & hairspray, that hair might make a good helmet.
Old 09-16-09, 10:48 AM
closetbiker

probably has the same "crushing" effect....
Old 09-16-09, 11:00 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Hey Hey, my my
Helmet threads will never die
There's more to the picture
that makes us ride
Hey Hey, my my

You pay for this,
a styrofoam hat
Even if you wear it
you may never come back
It's better to ride safe,
than it is to crash...
Then you're out of the blue
and into the black.

My lid is on,
yes it's not forgotten
This is the story
of threads gone rotten
It's better to burn out
long before you're deep.
My lid is gone
but it's not forgotten.

Hey hey, my my
Rock and roll can never die
There's more to the picture
Than meets the eye.
Hey hey, my my
Old 09-16-09, 11:03 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Hey closet, could you do me a favor and post that study about years of life added thanks to cycling verses year taken away? I have some folks at work that need to see it. Thanks!
Old 09-16-09, 11:06 AM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Hey closet, could you do me a favor and post that study about years of life added thanks to cycling verses year taken away? I have some folks at work that need to see it. Thanks!
Deliberate pun???

Anyway - I think you should look for a recording deal.
Old 09-16-09, 11:16 AM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
First the fixed gear trend

Now the helmetless trend

Oh lawd, the cycling world is regressing

Yup! Right on that buddy...

Toe clips and straps are making a comeback...

Whitewall road tires are in the shops again...

Bent drop bars are appearing again...

Turned-up drop bars with suicide levers...

French thread bottom brackets...

Old 09-16-09, 11:30 AM
Ajenkins
Dogs like me.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DigiK
To footnote some of the previous posters' sentiments, risk compensation has been scientifically studied and written about in peer-reviewed journals: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9183467
Study shows that humans will typially offset improved safety implementations with increased risk-taking behavior.
What is really scary is when people offset perceived safety implementations with increased risk-taking behavior.

This is the case with cyclists who substitute "helmet safety" for "riding safety." Cycling without a helmet is relatively risk-free, at least from severe head injury. Adding a helmet does little to reduce that already miniscule risk, yet encourages riders to engage in dangerous behaviors, such as running red lights. Looking at the research from that point of view, there may be another reason aside from decreased cycling popularity that studies show increased risk of injury associated with helmet mandates.
Old 09-16-09, 11:37 AM
GodsBassist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
If it's the one I'm thinking about, I think that study was as much about claiming cycling doesn't affect energy usage as longevity. The longevity argument was interesting, though.

Is this it?
https://opim.wharton.upenn.edu/~ulric...viro-jul06.pdf

Based on this analysis, the relationship between the period of
activity and change in longevity is nearly linear over periods lasting 10-50 years; with each year of
bicycling increasing longevity by an average of 0.029 years (10.6 days), and a year of physical
exercise without the accident risk of bicycling increasing longevity by 0.034 years (12.4 days).
Old 09-16-09, 11:48 AM
closetbiker

There's lots of studies that show cycling adds to life rather than taking it away.

Common sense tells us that the benefits of the type of exercise cycling provides combats what most often kills us. As much as people worry about death through trauma, trauma only accounts for about 4% of what kills us (and about half of all those deaths are from motor vehicle collisions).

I found Mayer Hillmans work to be most intriguing. He took each cycle death in 1989 and looked at the acturial evidence as to how long a person of a certain age could expect to live and multiplied that by the number of deaths in each age group in order to arrive at a figure of approximately 11,000 life years lost in cycle fatalities. To calculate life years gained he looked at some American evidence of the increased longevity of those who cycled regularly and this showed that people could expect to live two years longer. When this is multiplied by the numbers of those who cycle regularly, as revealed by the National Travel Survey, you arrive at the extraordinary ratio of 20:1. In other words, he says, for every life year lost through accidents, 20 years are gained through improved health and fitness.
Old 09-16-09, 11:54 AM
RobertHurst

Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by neal
The charts I've seen regarding helmet use suggest to me that increases in voluntary helmet use do decrease injury, while mandated helmet use does not. This suggests that the more cautious cyclists - the ones likely to embrace helmets voluntarily - are more likely to be involved in the kinds of crashes that a helmet will help with.

Originally Posted by Dan The Man
...or not involved in crashes at all
... or more likely to show up for medical treatment after a minor crash, skewing the statistics.

neal, keep in mind that the ones most likely to be involved in the kinds of crashes that a helmet will help are young children. Also, increases in voluntary helmet use don't always coincide with any apparent decrease in injuries. A study in Sweden showed head injury rates among adults rising as helmets became more popular.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.