Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I think I scored a deal

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

I think I scored a deal

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-22, 04:47 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 287 Posts
I think I scored a deal

I found these rims as a 4 piece set for 7.99 at a local thrift store. I also got 25% off too, LOL.

Anyway, It looks like 2 are 700C aluminum rims.
One is a rear grey (anodized?) Mavic MA40, 622x13, Performance QR rear hub, and Shimano freewheel
The other is a front Super Champion Gentleman with a road??? QR front hub. Pretty sure the red label means 700C?

The other 2 are Weinmann RM19, 27X1 1/4 with 27"x1 1/4 new tires on each.
The rear nutted Weinmann is a coaster brake. I going to presume it is a single speed.
The front has a Wheel Master QR front hub. Inexpensive Chinese stuff?
What's needed to add a rear gear sprocket to the rear hub?

I guess I can buy a pair of 700C tires, toss them on my Raleigh Grand Prix and use the Weinmann set for a single speed project.

Old 08-12-22, 07:53 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Those are wheels, not rims
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 08-12-22, 08:11 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Those are wheels, not rims
whatever.
The old engine vs motor, magazine vs clip, rims vs wheels.
We all know what is being talked about.
Old 08-12-22, 09:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,981 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Ryder
whatever.
The old engine vs motor, magazine vs clip, rims vs wheels.
We all know what is being talked about.
Except not at all. A rim is a part of a wheel, but you have nipples, spokes and then your hub which make up that wheel. A magazine feeds the firearm and the clip feeds the magazine.

Using correct language helps everyone. Saying it doesn't matter creates a lot of problems and makes it hard to effectively communicate with people. We can choose to be ignorant but that doesn't help anyone and especially doesn't help ourselves when we actually need help and cannot communicate that.

That looks like a good deal on wheels though. Nothing crazy but certainly worth $8
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 08-12-22, 09:27 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

And if you reread the original post. I described the rims and the hubs separately. so there's that.

And..a clip feeds a magazine??..WTH are you describing? OK..I was thinking. SKS has stripper clips that fed the magazine..I had one.Vintage crap
I'm sure you don't call a tissue a kleenex or a spa a jacuzzi, right?
Next time you need an auto part make sure you correct the counter person when they ask you what motor?

I'm done discussing semantics..

Last edited by Desert Ryder; 08-12-22 at 09:33 PM.
Likes For Desert Ryder:
Old 08-12-22, 11:25 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
If they are in decent condition. Good score.

John
Old 08-13-22, 10:45 AM
MudPie

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Back 30+ years ago, I built my first wheelset with Mavic MA40 rims around Shimano 600 hubs. They were good wheelset, and I think it all had to do with the rims. It was my first hand-built wheelset, and I attribute my success to the rim, not my skills.
Likes For MudPie:
Old 08-13-22, 10:54 AM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
I'm curious about the Raleigh Grand Prix - what year is it ? - bought two red ones in 1974 , freewheel , shift levers on the down tube - very heavy compared with current offerings - I know Vegas , our son and family live on the border of Summerlin - yes looks like you made out pretty well !!
Old 08-13-22, 12:38 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
And if you reread the original post. I described the rims and the hubs separately. so there's that.

And..a clip feeds a magazine??..WTH are you describing? OK..I was thinking. SKS has stripper clips that fed the magazine..I had one.Vintage crap
Next time you need an auto part make sure you correct the counter person when they ask you what motor?

Ignore list
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 08-13-22, 07:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,981 Times in 2,661 Posts

Yes a clip can feed a magazine look at say a M1 Garand.or the SKS as you mentioned. A tissue can be a Kleenex but a rim is not a wheel it might be part of a wheel but calling it the wrong thing entirely doesn't make sense.

I don't currently own a car but if I did I would do my absolute best to describe the part I needed correctly. I wouldn't say I needed an air filter for a 2020 Fiat 500 when I needed an oil filter for a '67 Chevelle or some such nonsense. If I truly didn't know I would apologize and say I am unsure exactly what I need can you please take a look and let me know rather than just saying the wrong thing.
Old 08-13-22, 07:52 PM
CVT

Bikes: Old school Specialized Stumpjumper, Vilano Blackjack, Burley Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Great find.
Old 08-13-22, 08:00 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Ignore list
Done.
Likes For Desert Ryder:
Old 08-13-22, 08:37 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Originally Posted by blinky
I'm curious about the Raleigh Grand Prix - what year is it ? - bought two red ones in 1974 , freewheel , shift levers on the down tube - very heavy compared with current offerings - I know Vegas , our son and family live on the border of Summerlin - yes looks like you made out pretty well !!
Not sure about the year. Might be an 80 or early 80's. Haven't found a decode for the serial number. I agree on the shifters. Almost every one I've looked up are on the down tube, not the stem.
I'm sure it's heavy but I guess I'm used to it.
Being a cardiac patient, It's been a bit too hot to ride.