Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

spit on a cyclist, go to jail

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-06, 09:27 PM
kyselad
extra bitter

Bikes: Miyata 210, Fuji Royale II, Bridgestone Kabuki, Miyata Ninety

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I finally have a good story about an interaction with an automobile. We live in New Haven, and my wife and I were riding home from a party last weekend. Connecticut roads can be a bit tight, and for a while an SUV was behind us without enough room to pass. It starts honking at us (typical), which we ignored (also typical). When it finally got a chance to pass, some guy in the back leaned out to scream incoherently at us (again, typical).

The SUV got stuck at a red light shortly thereafter, so I pulled alongside to discuss the little screaming incident. The guy who did the yelling got out of the car like he was ready to go at it, which, in my experience, they rarely are -- they just expect a cyclist will back off. His girlfriend (certainly the motivation for such an impressive display of manliness) pulled him back into the car, at which point I got the plate number and rode off.

On getting home, my wife tells me the jackass *spat* on her as he was getting back into the car! She didn't tell me beforehand, since she thought I might do something rash (she's probably right). Thankful that I had the plate number, we called the police. We typically don't bother reporting such incidents, but the spitting seemed over the top. New Haven doesn't do much in the way of traffic enforcement, so we weren't expecting much, but we figured it would be good to keep the police aware of these issues.

Half an hour later, a squad car pulled up. The cop seemed genuinely annoyed that a car would be so impatient, and explained that spitting counted as assault (we had no idea). Still, he didn't sound too hopeful about finding these guys. He took our statement, and we figured that was it. But a few minutes later, he called to say he was still outside and wanted us to write up an official statement. When we got out there, he had one of the occupants on the phone and was threatening to arrest everyone if they didn't turn over our spitting friend. An hour later he had the spitter and the driver hauled in.

After years of sucking up various abuse, I just thought I'd share this lousy initial experience and the fantastic follow up by the New Haven PD. We're not thrilled that someone got arrested over all this, but of course they earned it and it's great to get a little justice at the end of the day. I realize he'll probably get off with a little fine, but I hope he'll learn to stop harassing random cyclists and maybe tell his friends where it landed him.
Old 07-08-06, 09:30 PM
twahl
Tom (ex)Builder

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spitting is an assault. Spit can carry disease. Personally I think it's an ass-whooping offense. Sorry to hear that your wife suffered through it, glad to hear that you got a good response from the PD.

"It hurts so good..."
Old 07-08-06, 09:42 PM
Dusk
LeMond Lives!

Bikes: In 1963 my sister taught me to ride on her girl’s frame (no wonder I shave my legs) Schwinn it was blue and it weighted a billion pounds. – Gone, 2nd bike - a Schwinn Colligate (Gold) 5 speed – Traded in, 3rd bike – 1971 Schwinn Continental (Maro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kyselad
I finally have a good story about an interaction with an automobile.
You did it right. Glad they got the guy. Sorry for your wife. I'm glad she waited to tell you. I too would have got off on the guy if my mate had told me she was was just spit on.

Sometimes I'm really sorry my full sized frame pump is just plastic.

Keep up the good work. Let the law deal with it.

Cheers,
Old 07-08-06, 09:44 PM
Granny
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The guy won't go to jail - the magistrate will release on recognizance for something like that. He will have the arrest on his record, though.
Old 07-08-06, 09:47 PM
C_Heath
Its Freakin HammerTime!!!

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix and Giant AnthemX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by twahl
Spitting is an assault. Spit can carry disease. Personally I think it's an ass-whooping offense. Sorry to hear that your wife suffered through it, glad to hear that you got a good response from the PD.

+1 I am a bonified redneck cyclist with redneck values when it comes to that if he spit on my wife, I would have gone to his ass and head until he was completely unconscious.

yea, I have issues, still an ass whippin would be in order..

Great job, you did the right thing!

https://www.xxcycle.com/logo_w150h100/bmc.jpg
Old 07-08-06, 09:49 PM
DataJunkie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Big man...spitting on a woman and all
It's probably a good idea she didn't tell you when it happened. I know I'd go off if someone tried to do that to my wife.
Old 07-08-06, 09:52 PM
Panic
Rocking the roads of Bama

Bikes: Trek 1200, Masi Gravel

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Nice to see New Haven's finest do a solid job. Last year I had a kid in a van throw a Pepsi can at me. I mentioned to a local cop and he told me something like that happens get a plate number and call 911."The last thing we want is someone getting hurt because of an idiot".
Old 07-08-06, 09:52 PM
jjmolyet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a punk, to spit on a woman is low! Sounds like a real scumbag! Glad you and the fuzz took care of business!
2008 Gary Fisher X-Caliber 29er
.........that's how I Roll.
Old 07-08-06, 10:44 PM
dekalbSTEEL
Well, duh, Mr Obvious.

Bikes: see sig, and others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
be sure to follow up with the state's attorney office. If he pleads not guilty and requests a trial, you and your wife will have to show up in court to testify, otherwise they will walk.
Old 07-09-06, 06:20 AM
Trev Doyle
Hamburger Pimp

Bikes: BMC SLT O1 Team Full Record, Kuips SuperNova Ultegra & DuraAce, Rocky Mountain Team Scandium full XTR w sids & dope parts, Guerciotti Khaybar Full Record.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope you feel really good about that, like Karma just made a brief appearannce. I hope that guy gets a cyclist judge.
Old 07-09-06, 06:26 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
funny. if spitting is a crime in CT then i'll be sure to write down all of the offenders who spit sideways, so it hits me, during the sleeping giant rides

Last edited by botto; 07-09-06 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-09-06, 06:28 AM
LilSprocket
Wheee

Bikes: Schwinn Rocket 88 phase 1/ Surly 1x1/Cannondale R700 WSD 650c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WOO-HOO! Good for you! *high-five*
Old 07-09-06, 07:23 AM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
Great story...and kudos to you for your actions...also HUGE props to the New Haven PD. You just may be a better man than most (myself included), and woe unto the person who would ever spit on my girlfriend or wife. That kind of behaviour is simply uncalled for.

Cheers,

Brian

― Bruce Lee
Old 07-09-06, 07:45 AM
Boogs
Kelly Drive Amateur

Bikes: '86 Super Sport with mods

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Props to your town, and thumbs down to that p*ssy for messing with your gal. Going at a guy through his gal is the lowest of the low, and ANYTHING you could have done would have been justified, but I'm proud of you for taking the high road. Hope I do the same if/when.

Old 07-09-06, 08:23 AM
ManBearPig
1/2 man,1/2 bear,1/2 pig

Bikes: .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's awesome. As cyclists and human beings we have to choose our battles. So you exercised good discretion here I think -- we all suck up a little horn honking and other beligerence, but when push comes to shove its good to take action. I doubt the guy will love cyclists any better, but I bet he will think twice about overt displays of aggression in the future.
Old 07-09-06, 09:11 AM
rknj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If someone spit on my girl it would turn into an expensive night when I beat him over the head with my bike. Your wife did the right thing!
Old 07-09-06, 10:40 AM
kyselad
extra bitter

Bikes: Miyata 210, Fuji Royale II, Bridgestone Kabuki, Miyata Ninety

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yeah, I'd like to thing I exercised prudent restraint here, but fact is, I don't think I could have if I'd known he spat on my wife. She just had the good judgement not to tell me until we got home. Otherwise, that moron would have run his face into my u-lock a few times. I'm very glad it turned out the way it did -- it gave us the high ground all around and made calling the PD a no-brainer. Hopefully this will teach me the value of restraint in the future. Riding around here tends to make me more aggressive than I probably ought to be.
Old 07-09-06, 12:00 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Evil spitting criminals drive cars.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 07-09-06, 10:51 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
This is a great read, we all can relate. Who hasn't been almost run off the road by a honking 2000+ lb rolling fortress? I have been hit with rocks + lit cigarettes at least twice, the spitting (!) is over the top. That guy will probably always be angry but maybe he learned something, lets hope so.
Thanks for doing the right thing. I remeber those roads up around North Brandford to be quite tight.
You might also look into getting the local municipality to post a "Share the Road" sign HUGE you know the thing: big yellow diamond shape with a BIKE image. Thaose things work wonders at getting people to at least stop honking.
Old 07-10-06, 12:22 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Happened to me once. Adjacent a high school in California. Wish I had known these facts. I easily could have gotten their license plate number.
IT's unfortunate, but cyclists in America, you get conditioned to harrassment and just accept it.

Last edited by cyclezealot; 07-10-06 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-10-06, 05:13 AM
Bob S.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A big well done to the new haven Police. My compliments to your wife on her wisdom. Now, the right person was charged. Please keep us posted on the outcome as the case moves forward. Bob
Old 07-10-06, 06:05 AM
redden
Old fart

Bikes: 02 Specialized Allez, Cannondale M700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
with a crimial conviction you might be able to add another level of misery to the SOB's life by contacting L.H.Parker
Old 07-10-06, 07:00 AM
MKahrl

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I had a driver come alongside me on the right and I heard the distinct sound of a hockerishi being snorted into the firing chamber. I looked at the guy as he spit; the hocker headed straight for me, we were all in the same inertial plane at the time, but as soon as it made it out the window and hit the 15 mph air stream it quickly turned right and smeared itself all over his rear side window. You don't need to take a physics class to see that in advance.
Old 07-10-06, 07:32 AM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Bikes: 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, 2012 Blue Norcross CX, 2016 Blue Axino SL, 2016 Scott Scale, Fixie, Fetish Cycles Road Bike (on the trainer)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kyselad
<snip
The SUV got stuck at a red light shortly thereafter, so I pulled alongside to discuss the little screaming incident.
</snip>
I guess I'm thinking here is where the whole thing could have been avoided. Just playing devil's advocate.
Old 07-10-06, 07:49 AM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You definately did the right thing. I know the "feel good at the moment, but wrong" thing sometimes seems more appropriate though.

Yeah, good thing she didn't tell you there....I know if someone did that to a GF of mine, they would have to use the jaws of life to remove my hand from his throat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.