Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain Hangers

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chain Hangers

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-09, 10:52 PM
gpshay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chain Hangers

I have been searching the web for a chain hanger but it doesn't seem that anyone makes one. Does anyone know if they exist. thanks glenn in phx.
Old 09-16-09, 11:00 PM
king koeller
BIKE MECHANIC

Bikes: 1975 Full Campy N.R. Centurian Super Lemans,1984 Focus Vintage pre susp. mountain, hardtail,suntour xc sport, many treks, diamondbacks, and, 1950' crusier J.C.Higgins,triex (road) and kakakura silk (road)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sheldon Brown has written ... "Some bikes have a small brazed-on peg facing inward near the bottom of the right seat stay. This is intended to support the chain when the rear wheel has been removed for some reason. This is, in practice, a pretty useless feature."
If you really need one or want one, make one out of solid steel and braze it to your frame. I concur with Sheldon however that you don't really need it.
Good Luck, Happy Cycling
Old 09-16-09, 11:08 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
rivendell sells a clamp on chain hanger, but I have a brazed on one, and hell if it ever use it.
Old 09-16-09, 11:10 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I have one on my Puch Reynold's 531 frame. It does help keep the chain out of the way on occasion. Otherwise it's just proof the frame was made by an artisan in Europe. For what it's worth.
Old 09-17-09, 06:30 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
I use braze-on chain hangers at times . . I'd rather have one than not. Good bicycles used to always have them . . . I don't know about today. I find it funny Rivendell sells a cheap plastic one (though brazed one mount on the seat stay) instead of just brazing one on the frame. It adds about $5 to the cost of a frame.