Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pain at back of leg, top of calf/right below knee

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Pain at back of leg, top of calf/right below knee

Old 10-29-20, 11:17 AM
Fiery

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by flitz
I will try this asap when home from my office. The pain is more in the calf though. But it might be due to my hamstrings. I will also try riding my bike through my big toe from today. I will report back in a couple of weeks. As I had this pain for a good 1.5 years now it will probably take some time. I dindt have it all the time but it just keeps coming back... /;
If it's in the calf then it might be something related to the popliteus. Might be a good idea to check with a physiotherapist. You can try massaging it in the mean time, it might have an active trigger point:

Last edited by Fiery; 10-29-20 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-30-20, 04:03 AM
flitz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fiery
If it's in the calf then it might be something related to the . Might be a good idea to check with a physiotherapist. You can try massaging it in the mean time, it might have an active trigger point
I have been to two different physiotherapists. The told me strengthen and stretch. Will also try your second advice. Much appreciated.
EDIT: After watching the video it seems possible to be the pain mentioned around 2:43, so a cause of runners knee. I Will look into that too.

Last edited by flitz; 10-30-20 at 04:09 AM.
Old 03-19-21, 06:11 AM
darcyjohn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Calf pain

Hi, my name is John D'Arcy and I am 60 years old and live in the UK. For the last 5 years I have been under medical investigation for calf pain when walking, this started from being an inconvenience but has now reached the point when I cannot walk more that about 20 Metres without having to stop due to intense pain. I have been seen by Vascular Surgeons who investigated PAD and I had bilateral Angioplasty but the outcome was unchanged in that I still experienced severe calf pain upon walking. I was then referred to Spinal Neurosurgeons who sent me for Lumbar Spinal MRI scan which appeared perfectly normal. Whilst researching other possible conditions I came across a medical trial about Chronic Exertional Compartment Syndrome, this made me wonder if this could be a possible cause of my calf pain, specifically as it mentions balance deficit and gait as part of treatment as I suffered from a left Cerebellar Stroke aged 39. This affected my balance & Coordination (particularly left sided) I was told I had a drunken gait as a result of this. From what I have researched Chronic Exertional Compartment Syndrome usually affects elite athletes but I still think it may be worth investigating. The really annoying this is, whilst I can barely walk 25 Metres without stopping due to calf pain I can easily cycle 30-40 Miles without any discomfort. Doctors say this points to Lumbar Spinal Stenosis but MRI says otherwise. I am desperate to get to the bottom of it as it is ruining my quality of life, Thanks John