Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Trek Ishiwata fork failure

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Trek Ishiwata fork failure

Old 06-14-21, 02:17 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 932 Posts
I'm glad you weren't hurt!

As gugie says:

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 06-14-21, 06:26 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
OK, I guess I was concerned more about getting enough flex. The Toei Special blades are sold on their ability to flex, and are very lightweight indicating a thin wall, but they say they're "best for centerpulls" which I don't know if that translates into "won't work with aggressive braking using cantilevers". Although there are documented cases of these forkblades used with cantilevers. I want the bottom of the fork to be flexible, like my Vitus fork is, to dull the road buzz and because my riding buddy Kevin and I both believe (after testing with and without stiff front racks) that fork flex helps you go faster, but I don't want the top to be so flexible that I get brake judder. I sure know the Trek fork was flexible, and I did like that. Can you see those pre-raked blades flexing much when you ride the bike/brake aggressively?
Edit: I re-read your thread and you say it's noticeably flexier than the original unicrown fork. That's good!

As for fitting the Pacenti fork crown, I think I can massage them into the right oval. From what I've read, all fork blades start out the same diameter, and then they get smushed into some type of oval. And I've read things saying these can be smushed into the other oval shape - at your own risk, of course.
All these fork blades you mentioned have been used by my framebuilding class students. You do NOT want to try and smush the Toei Special blades into a Pacenti MTB crown! That is a recipe for disaster! First of all that crown is very difficult to braze with perfectly fitting fork blades. When a student has chosen these blades I have always had to finish doing the brazing. They are also very challenging to blacksmith them so they have full contact around the blade making brazing easier (so the silver doesn't run away and create gaps). What makes the Toei Special blades special is that the small end has a constant diameter for some distance over the last couple of inches. As a result they are easier to bend and be more flexible when riding.

The problem with some fork blades is that when they are swaged down to make the taper, the small end gets really thick and doesn't like to bend. That puts material where it isn't needed which results in a harsh ride. The old Nova blades are an example. For years I've had students use True Temper blades which were great but they stopped making them.

The pre-raked forks from Framebuilder's Supply were nice from the one example I've seen in class. That is the fork blades to use with the Pacenti MTB crown. If you are not a really good brazier (and I mean really good not ok good), I would chose the full slopping fork crown in the picture I'll attach.

The Kaisai Continental fork blade are a decent fork blade but a bit on the heavy side at over 200 grams. I wouldn't use them for a low trail fork. Even though the small end is not thick from swaging, they start to taper larger right away so they are best used for forks with standard rake. This last Friday we raked a couple of pairs in class. I'll braze an example right before a student so they can see how it is done (this is after a lengthy explanation). Even though both were raked to 50mm, the one was bent on a 6" radius block and the other on a 10" so he could tell if where the rake was placed made any difference. We also placed the rake on a different part of the blade (a builder can choose what part of each end to cut off).

If you are doing a low trail fork using cantilevers , the right choice is the Kaisai Imperial (like the old Reynolds shape) fork blades combined with the Rene Here fork crown with 52mm of clearance between blades. The greater oval shape of the Imperial blades provides more front to back resistance to braking forces. Don't even think about trying to make those blades fit a Pacenti MTB crown.

This is the fork crown that is easiest to braze if using those pre-bent low trail blades.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 06-14-21, 07:06 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Interesting. Do you remember offhand if your RD cable stop is on the top ('82-style) or bottom ('83-style) of the chainstay? Asking because I have a 412 with an '82 serial number and '83-style RD cable stop. Fork DOES have extended tangs on the inside of the crown, so it's NOT a death fork. The 022 decal says "double butted tubes forks & stays", but I'm pretty sure I recall seeing Tange on the steerer tube when I had it apart. I wonder if the non-death forks were constructed of a Tange steerer and crown, with 022 blades.
I looked. Serial # is 038102. 1982 model year. Cable stop is on top of the chainstay.
Old 06-14-21, 08:01 AM
AJI125 

Bikes: 1972 Fuji The Finest | 1990 Bianchi Giro | 1999 LeMond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 134 Posts
I've got a 1982 613 (531 DB main triangle, Ishiwata Magny 10 stays and fork blades). No inner tangs. Interesting data point, I was soaking tubes in Evaporust due to bad top tube rust and a few spots along the frame (all consistent with a heavy sweater). When I was done I also figured I'd soak the fork, since I knew some of the history of these forks and also that there was some rust (superficial or not) around the cracks typically.

1) The fork blades (Ishiwata Magny 10) had a tremendous amount of black material come out after Evaporust soak
2) The frame stays (Ishiwata Magny 10) had a tremendous amount of black material come out after Evaporust soak

My understanding is the black material from Evaporust soaking is dirt/debris and/or the chelated iron (I could be getting this wrong but I believe Evaporust is a chelator Edit: looked this up and it's probably the carbon from the steel and/or ferric sulfate that it converts the ferric oxide to). For once all those years of Chemistry for ChE helps. Is there some possibility the Ishiwata materials were stored/finished/uncoated improperly where they were more prone to rusting? Exterior of all these surfaces, sans the 531 main triangle from sweat I believe, was/is in great condition.

Also I believe my steerer was a Tange also. I briefly used a Tange CrMo aftermarket fork from around the 90s while I played around with configuration and waiting for a shorter stack headset. Ride wasn't quite as good as the stock fork, I feel comfortable declaring.

Last edited by AJI125; 06-14-21 at 08:12 AM.
Likes For AJI125:
Old 06-14-21, 09:08 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Insidious C.
Glad to hear no injury sustained, scarlson. I'm happy to offer a full refund on the frame.
I do remember you saying the fork was suspect, and recommending I reuse the one from my cracked frame! I'm quite happy I got to mess with this fork because it was good training.
Old 06-14-21, 09:16 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
All these fork blades you mentioned have been used by my framebuilding class students. You do NOT want to try and smush the Toei Special blades into a Pacenti MTB crown! That is a recipe for disaster! First of all that crown is very difficult to braze with perfectly fitting fork blades. When a student has chosen these blades I have always had to finish doing the brazing. They are also very challenging to blacksmith them so they have full contact around the blade making brazing easier (so the silver doesn't run away and create gaps). What makes the Toei Special blades special is that the small end has a constant diameter for some distance over the last couple of inches. As a result they are easier to bend and be more flexible when riding.

The problem with some fork blades is that when they are swaged down to make the taper, the small end gets really thick and doesn't like to bend. That puts material where it isn't needed which results in a harsh ride. The old Nova blades are an example. For years I've had students use True Temper blades which were great but they stopped making them.

The pre-raked forks from Framebuilder's Supply were nice from the one example I've seen in class. That is the fork blades to use with the Pacenti MTB crown. If you are not a really good brazier (and I mean really good not ok good), I would chose the full slopping fork crown in the picture I'll attach.

The Kaisai Continental fork blade are a decent fork blade but a bit on the heavy side at over 200 grams. I wouldn't use them for a low trail fork. Even though the small end is not thick from swaging, they start to taper larger right away so they are best used for forks with standard rake. This last Friday we raked a couple of pairs in class. I'll braze an example right before a student so they can see how it is done (this is after a lengthy explanation). Even though both were raked to 50mm, the one was bent on a 6" radius block and the other on a 10" so he could tell if where the rake was placed made any difference. We also placed the rake on a different part of the blade (a builder can choose what part of each end to cut off).

If you are doing a low trail fork using cantilevers , the right choice is the Kaisai Imperial (like the old Reynolds shape) fork blades combined with the Rene Here fork crown with 52mm of clearance between blades. The greater oval shape of the Imperial blades provides more front to back resistance to braking forces. Don't even think about trying to make those blades fit a Pacenti MTB crown.

This is the fork crown that is easiest to braze if using those pre-bent low trail blades.
This is why I read bike forums! Thank you very much for the info and explanations. I bet that's a great framebuilding class.

Last edited by seypat; 06-15-21 at 08:08 PM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 06-14-21, 09:23 AM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
Just want to give a tip-o-the-hat to Insidious C for offering a full refund on an item he warned scarlson might fail. Also a chapeau to scarlson for saying he knew the job was dangerous when he took it.

Lotta a-holes out there, so I like to celebrate niceness.

Originally Posted by Insidious C.
Glad to hear no injury sustained, scarlson. I'm happy to offer a full refund on the frame.
Old 06-14-21, 10:01 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Originally Posted by pcb
Just want to give a tip-o-the-hat to Insidious C for offering a full refund on an item he warned scarlson might fail. Also a chapeau to scarlson for saying he knew the job was dangerous when he took it.

Lotta a-holes out there, so I like to celebrate niceness.
It's true - but there is a little bit of a joke in here that you may not be privy to. Insidious C. gave me the frame and fork for free!
Old 06-14-21, 10:07 AM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
Free? Freeee? Refund? Reeefund?

Well, then, don't you deserve some cas$h anyway for your pain and suffering, or at least for your inconvenience?

It's true - but there is a little bit of a joke in here that you may not be privy to. Insidious C. gave me the frame and fork for free!
Old 06-15-21, 06:10 PM
scarlson 

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic

Thanks for the explanation! I know the full sloping fork crown you're talking about. I believe it's about 60mm inside. 60mm inside should be sufficient for 48s and fenders, so that seems like a good option. I think the René Herse fork crown is too narrow for 48s and fenders, unfortunately, otherwise I'd go that route. There is always the option of making my own twin plate crown on the milling machine, but I don't really want to. Do you know if those pre-raked blades have really thick walls at the bottom end as well? Or are they thinner like the Kaisei blades?
Old 06-15-21, 08:56 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 653 Posts
Thanks for the explanation! I know the full sloping fork crown you're talking about. I believe it's about 60mm inside. 60mm inside should be sufficient for 48s and fenders, so that seems like a good option. I think the René Herse fork crown is too narrow for 48s and fenders, unfortunately, otherwise I'd go that route. There is always the option of making my own twin plate crown on the milling machine, but I don't really want to. Do you know if those pre-raked blades have really thick walls at the bottom end as well? Or are they thinner like the Kaisei blades?
What I remember is that the fork blade thickness was well balanced. The small end diameter was a bit larger than the Kaisai. Really it is your best option that I currently know about. I would certainly use them on a low trail frame if I was making one for myself.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 07-28-21, 12:49 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 393 Posts
I also just purchased 3 bikes in a lot for cheap as a group. One indeed was an 82 Trek 412. I figure I have maybe $30 invested in it. The beautiful Suntour VXgt that I took off of it was worth what I paid. Here in the Midwest we only get real bad rust if something sits out in the elements. This bike had no rust and the fork looks great.

I am going to build it up as it is in my size and I want to experience the Isiwata 022 tubing, especially as to how it compares to my 83 Trek 700 with full 531. First attempt was a disappointing ride that I attribute to the awful Armadillo protected tires on it. On this one, I am not afraid to ride it, although I am old and slow. Selling it would call up some ethical questions. No monetary loss, but interesting research on this one.
Old 07-28-21, 12:53 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5782
I also just purchased 3 bikes in a lot for cheap as a group. One indeed was an 82 Trek 412. I figure I have maybe $30 invested in it. The beautiful Suntour VXgt that I took off of it was worth what I paid. Here in the Midwest we only get real bad rust if something sits out in the elements. This bike had no rust and the fork looks great.

I am going to build it up as it is in my size and I want to experience the Isiwata 022 tubing, especially as to how it compares to my 83 Trek 700 with full 531. First attempt was a disappointing ride that I attribute to the awful Armadillo protected tires on it. On this one, I am not afraid to ride it, although I am old and slow. Selling it would call up some ethical questions. No monetary loss, but interesting research on this one.
I have one of these as well but I paid a bit more than you did at $50. There were clearly more than $50 worth of parts on the bike. I wouldn't sell it. I can use the headset so I think I'll pull the fork and HS and donate the frame to the bike co op. It's a good frame. I'll hang the fork in my workshop as wall art.

I have a full Ishiwata Trek, a 1979 Trek 510, and it is a fine riding bike.
Old 07-28-21, 03:33 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 393 Posts
Wow, $50. As you said parts are worth more. I wouldn’t think in Iowa you have rust problems either. As you said though, parting with the bike/frame will require disclosure or parting out etc. Perhaps a suitable donor fork may show up somewhere if someone knows what to look for. As you and I have higher level Treks from the same era, it is probably not a real urgent project. Nice looking bikes though.
Old 08-01-21, 05:50 PM
scarlson 

Ha, did not see this activity on my ol' thread. But I have something to contribute, too!

I built most of a fork jig but have to take a break from it because now I've been forced to travel for my PhD work. I took my Vitus with me, because I managed to get a hard travel case from a friend. I had wanted to do a lightning-fast fork build and take the Trek, but it didn't work out, timing wise. A forum member offered me a Trek fork at a very reasonable price, as well, but I couldn't get my act together before my travel date to get the fork and put everything together, including brazing on brake posts. Would be cutting it toooo close.

My next idea was to take a fork from a Schwinn World Sport I have in my basement. Imagine my surprise when I found out that appears to use the SAME Ishiwata fork crown! I wonder if anyone riding those has experienced failures. The dropouts were different (Schwinn safety dropouts with the hole for wheel retention washers), so maybe the blades are different too. I dunno. The steerer was too short anyway, so I had to scrub that plan.

Anyway, fork jig coming soon!! I'm building it off Alex Wetmore's general design. Looks good to me and I have all sorts of small pieces of 8020 lying around.
Old 08-01-21, 07:30 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 2,825 Times in 1,994 Posts
OK, I guess I was concerned more about getting enough flex. The Toei Special blades are sold on their ability to flex, and are very lightweight indicating a thin wall, but they say they're "best for centerpulls" which I don't know if that translates into "won't work with aggressive braking using cantilevers". Although there are documented cases of these forkblades used with cantilevers. I want the bottom of the fork to be flexible, like my Vitus fork is, to dull the road buzz and because my riding buddy Kevin and I both believe (after testing with and without stiff front racks) that fork flex helps you go faster, but I don't want the top to be so flexible that I get brake judder. I sure know the Trek fork was flexible, and I did like that. Can you see those pre-raked blades flexing much when you ride the bike/brake aggressively?
Edit: I re-read your thread and you say it's noticeably flexier than the original unicrown fork. That's good!

As for fitting the Pacenti fork crown, I think I can massage them into the right oval. From what I've read, all fork blades start out the same diameter, and then they get smushed into some type of oval. And I've read things saying these can be smushed into the other oval shape - at your own risk, of course.
go twin plate crown then. Put the flex in that.

I forgot, did not Trek recall these Ishiwata forks?
Old 08-01-21, 11:46 PM
scarlson 

Originally Posted by repechage
go twin plate crown then. Put the flex in that.

I forgot, did not Trek recall these Ishiwata forks?
I don't think Trek recalled any fork during their C&V era, at least not that's reported on the vintage Trek website, but I could be wrong. Of course, Lambert/Viscount recalled their death fork, but that was a bigger deal, I feel like. I believe one C&V Bikeforum-er spent some time in a coma because of one. All the Trek death fork does is make the rider feel drunk! Should it be called the drunk fork? They do make a lot of beer in Wisconsin.

As for a twin plate crown, I've toyed with the idea. I'd like to do a sloping one, like came with my old Colin Laing tandem, but I think it would be a lot of work. Then I could make it whatever shape I want, and be able to use the Kaisei blades!! But seriously it would be prudent to try to make my first fork build a simple one, so I'll likely stick with the pre-raked blades and sloping crown. Maybe I'll think about CNC programming for the Imperial Oval. I wonder if the CNC mill can easily do that without requiring me to do a lot of *thinking*...
Old 08-02-21, 05:23 PM
repechage

Masi built forks with straight blades then formed the curve all at once on a bending fixture that caught the dropouts
Very cool to watch actually

confente did the same
I’m sure there were others.

there is a video of one of the Japanese builders making a fork- a bit fussy I think but it works for him. May have been Nagasawa
Old 08-02-21, 07:43 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked 465 Times in 299 Posts
Scary pics. Glad you escaped without injury Sam!
Likes For plonz:
Old 08-03-21, 05:28 PM
scarlson 

Originally Posted by plonz
Scary pics. Glad you escaped without injury Sam!
Indeed! I think (and @southpawboston suggested) the failure would have been more gradual with sidepulls than with the cantis I had on there. But the VO minirack held things together pretty well. Perhaps without the rack, the fork would've broken off. But also, without the rack, I may have noticed it sooner, while the cracks were less far-along.

Originally Posted by repechage
Masi built forks with straight blades then formed the curve all at once on a bending fixture that caught the dropouts
Very cool to watch actually
I've re-raked forks like that. I prefer a jig that cradles the blade just adjacent to the dropout though, because sometimes a less-than-perfectly brazed dropout can be pulled right out! I've seen it - it's real.
Old 08-03-21, 09:49 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,072 Posts
[...]sometimes a less-than-perfectly brazed dropout can be pulled right out! I've seen it - it's real.
In about '72 I was working in a shop that sold Raleighs. I was assembling a brand new Grand Prix (second model up from the bottom in the "10 speed" category) and one fork dropout didn't look right. With the wheel out, I rapped lightly on the fender eyelet with whatever wrench was in my hand (not a sledge hammer!) and the dropout fell on the floor. It had been held in by rust — zero brazing, not even a tack.

The boss threatened to dock my pay for it! Like it was my fault? But the other employees stuck up for me, and he backed down. He really was mad at me though!

Mark B
Likes For bulgie:
Old 08-04-21, 06:53 AM
repechage

When chrome plating is a structural material.
Likes For repechage:
Old 08-04-21, 07:54 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3800 Post(s)
Liked 6,614 Times in 2,592 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
In about '72 I was working in a shop that sold Raleighs. I was assembling a brand new Grand Prix (second model up from the bottom in the "10 speed" category) and one fork dropout didn't look right. With the wheel out, I rapped lightly on the fender eyelet with whatever wrench was in my hand (not a sledge hammer!) and the dropout fell on the floor. It had been held in by rust — zero brazing, not even a tack.

The boss threatened to dock my pay for it! Like it was my fault? But the other employees stuck up for me, and he backed down. He really was mad at me though!

Mark B
I had that happen with a Raleigh SuperCourse MkII. It had a stuck stem, so I clamped the stem into my vise, installed the front wheel, and figured I'd use the leverage of the wheel to try and rotate the fork. Right side dropout popped right off the blade. Didn't look like it had much brazing material on it at all:

Remarkable that it held for about 40 years.
Old 08-04-21, 08:04 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
[snip] dropout popped right off the blade.
That's whay they call them drop outs.
<rimshot>
Likes For bulgie:
Old 08-05-21, 11:13 AM
repechage

Indeed! I think (and @southpawboston suggested) the failure would have been more gradual with sidepulls than with the cantis I had on there. But the VO minirack held things together pretty well. Perhaps without the rack, the fork would've broken off. But also, without the rack, I may have noticed it sooner, while the cracks were less far-along.

I've re-raked forks like that. I prefer a jig that cradles the blade just adjacent to the dropout though, because sometimes a less-than-perfectly brazed dropout can be pulled right out! I've seen it - it's real.
Bench failure is much preferred to in-use. If it could not survive re-raking, then is did not deserve to be used.
We live in so much danger.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.