Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

is this place dying

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

is this place dying

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-16, 07:24 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
People have also become really thin skinned these days and get offended over practically anything. What would have been a statement that spurred some good conversation years ago can get you banned now. I'm talking about discussion boards in general. For instance:

In my opinion, one of the dumber trends that has came about in recent years are these quotes and signature lines that people have at the bottom of their post. What is that all about? Is that supposed to make that person appear more intelligent and important? If anything should be banned it's that stuff. It is just a waste of time and space.
Old 06-23-16, 07:36 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
In my opinion, one of the dumber trends that has came about in recent years are these quotes and signature lines that people have at the bottom of their post. What is that all about? Is that supposed to make that person appear more intelligent and important? If anything should be banned it's that stuff. It is just a waste of time and space.
That's not recent!!

I've been here for 13 years, and sig lines have been a thing that whole time.

However, if you don't like them, you know you can turn them off ... right?
Old 06-23-16, 07:53 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
People have also become really thin skinned these days and get offended over practically anything. What would have been a statement that spurred some good conversation years ago can get you banned now. I'm talking about discussion boards in general. For instance:

Lol. Guy complains that people are easily offended and then says that sig lines need to get off his lawn.
Old 06-23-16, 08:06 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by garysol1
Here is my .02 and feel free to disagree. At one time BF had legendary posters, friends and family. The place was a big home but yet everyone seemed to know everyone. For a while there moderation got very heavy handed and we lost many of our friends. Botto,Chipcom, blondeduathalongirl, UMD (nom nom nom )...etc... Some of my friends were kicked off of the page never to return and others just got tired of the bull****. Infractions were thrown around like parade candy.
Yep.

It's all the mods fault.

Last edited by noodle soup; 06-23-16 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-23-16, 08:18 AM
FullGas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

just tried to use this as my sig line, but it's too many characters...
Old 06-23-16, 08:31 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
I think forums are a different thing substantially from social media sites like FB.

FB is more of general population, it's all kinds of your friends only some them are interested in bikes and few have really in-depth knowledge of any sub-category of cycling, or equipment, or the technical aspects of training. FB is where I go with the big picture stuff, like mentioning a goal or posting a race result. Also a great place to set up rides.

Forums are typically populated by people with a really in-depth knowledge of a subject. For example, I need some parts milled for my aerobars on my TT bike. My husband was trying to figure out total cost to compare that to what a machinist would charge us. So he found a vertical mill forum (really!) and learned what was the least-expensive vertical mill we could buy to do what we needed to do and what other equipment was necessary. That forum is invaluable for that kind of information. Made it easy to compare the cost of buying our own mill to hiring a machinist. In two days, we were able to make a well-informed decision.

So I guess I see forums as here to stay because for people who really get into the minutia of a subject, a forum seems to be a far better outlet for discussion than most social media sites. Maybe a lot of the more social types get siphoned off to FB, and maybe Matchka has some ideas for retaining them.

The biggest thing that's tedious about the BF culture is the level of the conversation- mostly it seems to me that people cannot see beyond themselves and respect what the other guy is doing on a bike. So you get an older guy waxing nostalgic about steel bikes who can't recognize that despite all the benefits of a steel bike, a carbon bike which is 4 pounds lighter might indeed be a better choice for a 25 year old kid training for a hill climbing race. I could go on ad-nausem with examples, but this kind of thing is hugely prevalent here on BF. No idea how to change it, and once you've been here long enough you start to know who to listen to. But I'm sure for newbies it can be a complete turn-off, getting widely conflicting advice & no way to sort through it.

Some areas of BF are amazingly supportive places- Clydesdale forum because everyone is trying to accomplish the same difficult thing (losing weight). And the racing forums, because you know there's a chance you're going to meet some of those posters IRL. But the road forum- whew, the level of conversation is often petty and rude (and sadly ill-informed). I think that could be fixed by knowledgable posters recognizing each other. "As RoadForumPoster pointed out up thread, aero wheels will make you faster but they are more susceptible to handling issues in crosswinds. So if you're not riding competitively, the speed benefit may not outweigh the handling penalty. You mentioned you ride in a lot of canyon winds, and aero wheels can be nerve-racking in those conditions. Quite honestly, you might find non-aero wheels more enjoyable to ride. Listen to RoadForumPoster, she knows what she's talking about."

I hope BF doesn't die. I've met tons of great people here, some of my favorite people in life actually. I'll be sad if it dies.
Old 06-23-16, 08:37 AM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
The search-function police and the let-me-google-that-for-you crowd haven't helped participation.

Ask a question, get pilloried. That really encourages participation. Lighten up, Francis!
Old 06-23-16, 08:57 AM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doctor j
The search-function police and the let-me-google-that-for-you crowd haven't helped participation.

Ask a question, get pilloried. That really encourages participation. Lighten up, Francis!
Yes that is a problem. One other thing I have noticed is that people are especially hard on "foreigners" (i.e. anyone living outside of the US). A while back, a guy from France posted in a thread and used the wrong word for sidewalk (a result of a bad translation from French to English) and he was hammered for it, never mind the point he was making in the thread. A Canadian user jumped in to his defense, trying to explain the error, and he was attacked too. That French guy hasn't been seen since. Nice way to grow a user base there, let me tell you. Believe me, I'm not a fan of bad grammar or poor spelling either, but when it may be someone's second or even third language maybe you could give them a break. Just harassing people because of it while contributing nothing to the discussion doesn't help.
Old 06-23-16, 09:04 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11960 Post(s)
Liked 6,629 Times in 3,477 Posts
Ever evolving social media probably has something to do with it. Really though, that is where society is going now. If you think about it, a forum, chat room, etc. is just a virtual social gathering place to exchange ideas and shoot the breeze. No different than the local coffee shop, barber shop, beauty parlor, etc. back in the day. The social climate is different now. A place like Starbucks or Panaras should be that kind of place with people socializing and conversing with each other. Instead, everyone has their noses stuck in an electronic device oblivious to those around them.

The athletic/fitness landscape has changed as well. Everything athletic related these days has a tone of seriousness to it. It is not enough to just be doing something such as taking a walk or bike ride through the neighborhood. Now you have to be training for something that might never materialize. "No time for socializing in your given sport! That is for losers! Get with the program. Champions train! Buy our product, act like a champion and you will be one." That stuff is drilled into us night and day now.

That is probably why forums like the C & V sub forums are still going strong. They still have the coffee/barber shop feel to them. Once you get to a certain age you have been there and done that. So those people(myself included) know it's all good. Just getting up and making it through another day is what's important. The rest is just gravy.
Good, thoughtful post.
Old 06-23-16, 09:13 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
when I started I did not know "the rules" and got a few riled up. then noone knew who I was or who I was posting about. Now they do, so I am milders and don't post about my favorite subjects . the couple times I did I had the thread moved, closed. I got banned.

So while I'm much better behaved, there is also less interaction.
Also I've found the website often not working with my browser or running scripts that slows things down - like now. It is frustrating to use.
Old 06-23-16, 09:17 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate
That just doesn't sound right.

How about the 50+ are dying?
Old 06-23-16, 09:31 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by Heathpack
I hope BF doesn't die. I've met tons of great people here, some of my favorite people in life actually. I'll be sad if it dies.
BF is not going to die.* Various elements of an active, successful forum are bound to change over time. Nothing stays the same. People change. Generations of people change. Society changes. World politics and world events change. Technology changes. All these things, and more, affect people and their behavior, and get reflected here on this forum, sometimes in noticeable ways and sometimes not.

Look at it as a party. A really successful party has to have a perfect blend of all the essential ingredients: food, music, and people. If any one of them is significantly off the mark, the party is off. It's just not what it could have been.

The forum is the same. A couple of ingredients are not the same as they once were. Somewhere down the road they may line up perfectly again. Or maybe they won't. We can make the best of it or we can move on to what looks like greener pastures. Someone else will fill our shoes here.

* If it dies it will be because the plug got pulled for financial reasons. This one forum cannot be expected to support an entire corporation.
Old 06-23-16, 09:40 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
It looks like only the road section is dying, I don't know I don't hang out in all the sections. The vintage section at least seems to be going as normal. It has more activity than here, more down to earth people and if there's drama it's usually self policed pretty well. New members are treated better. Most of the locked threads involve someone turning it political.

And most importantly you don't have to walk on eggshells there.

I'll leave it at that.
Old 06-23-16, 09:46 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

In bold. Quite right. Not just bikeforums...but our country. Outrageous political correctness and people get offended at the drop of a hat when poking fun used to be the norm...kidding others for their differences without people taking offense.

. . . Of course there are countless good people as well and this forum being a microcosm of society...many great and fair minded people here as well although the back ground noise can be pretty awful...ignorance, intolerance and bias.

I don't believe many understand the banning thing and I admit it does test credulity at times. I have stated before that far and away, the people that get banned on this forum are my favorites. They are typically the most truthful and the most knowledgeable and generally have the best sense of humor. Translation? They threaten too many here.

So how does the dynamic work? Some may not understand. Billy and I have had some good conversations about this because I ruffle some feathers once in a while. When somebody rubs the mindless mainstream too much, Bill gets a rash of complaints. This becomes burdensome to any moderator and Billy has a high threshold of tolerance. But this isn't his only job and he doesn't get paid. He does it out of his love for cycling and this forum. So when a moderator like Billy gets overrun with too many complaints. he has to penalize the poster behind it...whether the poster is right or wrong. A numbers game. I will say that most people banned I have found to the be the best members of the forum in terms of their value and even their comedy. In other words, they speak the truth and the thin skinned idiots that can't take that have to complain. So the meek shall inherit the earth isn't a close portrayal of the truth...rather a bit inaccurate all said. Rather, the clueless will inherent the earth is the current trend which is sad....American educational level continuing to slip in the world not helping.

On a lighter note...speaking of entertaining and wacky if not narcissistic and knowledgeable about cycling....where's Pcad? The 41 doesn't see much of Pcad anymore. Is he still around on the web? Anybody know?

Last edited by BillyD; 06-23-16 at 10:01 AM. Reason: P&R
Old 06-23-16, 09:49 AM
seypat

That got some discussion going!
Old 06-23-16, 09:49 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by K.Katso
Yes that is a problem. One other thing I have noticed is that people are especially hard on "foreigners" (i.e. anyone living outside of the US)....
I'm not sure that is bad. I'm not sure.
Some random forum thoughts.

There are a lot of cycling related forums. In the -33 racing sub forums seems 50% of the posters are from 3-4 areas. There is a familiarity and these folks race together and see each other. I've met a few who say entirely different things to me personally than what I read about my posts. So I think familiar is good.

There is a soccer forum that is quite busy. It is called SoCalSoccer. Of course there are more soccer players in SoCal than cyclists in the USA, but there 99% parents get on to post about their kids. In the mean time they also post about other stuff - a bit.

The thing I have noticed about BikeForums.net as compared to other forums is most people post about themselves riding. It is not so much a fan forum. I'm in the latter category now. I don't know the significance of that to membership/activity, but I think you have a lot more material when you post about others. You can also get into debates that aren't so personal. Of course someone will always drop the ... "when I was". I just noticed on the soccer forum nobody cares (well they do, just not in the post context) dad played for ManU when talking about the referee at the 12 year old kids game. But they can get 100 posts over one game. On BF it would be "I did this", a couple responses and then we're done.
Old 06-23-16, 09:57 AM
shafter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Thanks for the pun.
You are welcome! Hopefully I don't get banned for it- that would really "discourage conversation" and "shrink the user base".
Old 06-23-16, 10:01 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge

There are a lot of cycling related forums. In the -33 racing sub forums seems 50% of the posters are from 3-4 areas. There is a familiarity and these folks race together and see each other. I've met a few who say entirely different things to me personally than what I read about my posts. So I think familiar is good.

There is a soccer forum that is quite busy. It is called SoCalSoccer. Of course there are more soccer players in SoCal than cyclists in the USA, but there 99% parents get on to post about their kids. In the mean time they also post about other stuff - a bit.

The thing I have noticed about BikeForums.net as compared to other forums is most people post about themselves riding. It is not so much a fan forum. I'm in the latter category now. I don't know the significance of that to membership/activity, but I think you have a lot more material when you post about others. You can also get into debates that aren't so personal. Of course someone will always drop the ... "when I was". I just noticed on the soccer forum nobody cares (well they do, just not in the post context) dad played for ManU when talking about the referee at the 12 year old kids game. But they can get 100 posts over one game. On BF it would be "I did this", a couple responses and then we're done.
You post too much about your kid....lol.
You have a kid fettish
Cool you love your kid...was just joking with you but none the less a notable dynamic.
Old 06-23-16, 10:04 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by shafter
You are welcome! Hopefully I don't get banned for it- that would really "discourage conversation" and "shrink the user base".
meh, who would even notice you were gone?
Old 06-23-16, 10:04 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by BillyD
Kidding, Kidding!
Old 06-23-16, 10:15 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by Doge

It a "me" world we live in now. For some reason, being ordinary is not acceptable anymore either.
Old 06-23-16, 10:23 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
It a "me" world we live in now. For some reason, being ordinary is not acceptable anymore either.
why be ordinary if you can 'photoshop' your life on social media and create a more flattering virtual life?
Old 06-23-16, 10:27 AM
shafter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Ouch! Who would be left to sing the praises of the late 90s Trek?

Apologies accepted though.
Old 06-23-16, 10:33 AM
seypat

What's gets me is how people dismiss good, informative posts because they don't agree with them for some reason. Campag4life recently posted a thread about riding/reviewing a new bike that he had access to. I'm a C & V guy, but that is the kind of thread that forums need. But as soon as he puts it up someone is finding a problem with it.

If someone wants to know about grass roots/amateur racing, Doge is the one to talk to. He is in it deep as we speak. But if he gives someone an honest answer they don't like, they just blow smoke.

rmparker or whatever his handle is always has informative and controversial threads. You might not agree with the content, but the discussion they create is always relevant to cycling and aging in general.

All of these are so much better than the "wave or not wave" threads.
Old 06-23-16, 10:40 AM
Ratzinger
Buddy

Bikes: 80s Gardin. Green fixed-gear. POS mountain bike.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I imagine there will be an ongoing use base here for quite some time, but I think that a board like this does not have much to it that will attract newer, younger users. Young people are already on the other website whose name is censored, and they'll just migrate to the sub there for bicycling, fixed-gear, vintage etc...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.