Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubeless or not?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tubeless or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-20, 07:49 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Ha, yeah... i have 2 stealth Rovals. Need something more bling

So i did dig into the Zipps a little more after your review. In the end, dont see the point. I will be putting them on a gravel bike with a 34-35mm wide tires. Since the OD of these rims is a lot lower, I am going to pay a pretty hefty aero penalty with the bulbuous tires. Given that, i might as well save a bunch of money and get a Light Bicycle wheelset instead. Or bite the bullet and go BIG with the 3T Discus wheels. 45mm deep, 40mm wide. It's about the girth these days, anyway.
Yeah - for gravel I would probably go wider, maybe even 650B.

Sure, LB were pretty tempting to me, also. In the end, availability in covid times played a big factor as did the lifetime warranty, not only for manufacturing defects but also for mild boneheadedness. I'm not completely inept, and I do have a spoke tensiometer, but it's nice to be able to send the wheel off for a rebuild if a spoke breaks rather than replace and maybe chase additional breaks.

The other major bonus for the Zipps - SO divisive. With many other brands, I'd have to explain who they were, where they were from, how much I paid, etc, etc and, even then, most people still wouldn't be sure if they should hate/love me and/or the wheels. I can't live with that kind of indifference.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-08-20, 12:28 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The other major bonus for the Zipps - SO divisive. With many other brands, I'd have to explain who they were, where they were from, how much I paid, etc, etc and, even then, most people still wouldn't be sure if they should hate/love me and/or the wheels. I can't live with that kind of indifference.
You definitely should NOT be waving while riding them.
Old 08-08-20, 12:29 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by guadzilla
You definitely should NOT be waving while riding them.
I don't, not unless I see an arm band.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-08-20, 01:59 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
he other major bonus for the Zipps - SO divisive. With many other brands, I'd have to explain who they were, where they were from, how much I paid, etc, etc and, even then, most people still wouldn't be sure if they should hate/love me and/or the wheels. I can't live with that kind of indifference.
Wait. Isn't Rapha the only item/article that's allowed to claim that distinction?

Last edited by NoWhammies; 08-09-20 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-08-20, 02:22 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Wait. Isn't Rapha the only item/article that's allowed to claim that distinction?
I got the trifecta, bro - Cervelo, Zipp, and Rapha. If people don't cheer me, they jeer me.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-08-20, 07:18 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
I got the trifecta, bro - Cervelo, Zipp, and Rapha. If people don't cheer me, they jeer me.
Ha, I've got a Cervelo, ENVE SES, and Rapha. Maybe that's why every non-cyclist, overweight gym rat on a flat bar bike has to prove they're faster than me.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Likes For sfrider:
Old 08-10-20, 02:42 PM
shona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Need info on tubeless

I just jumped into this thread. At the suggestion of somebody I just got tubeless tires put on my road bike. Yes, I know nothing about them. My main question is how much pressure should I have in them? In my tube tires I ride on 100. Also, can I add air using the tubeless valve? I have many more questions but I'll keep it to these two for now. Thank you,
Old 08-11-20, 05:23 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
Originally Posted by shona
I just jumped into this thread. At the suggestion of somebody I just got tubeless tires put on my road bike. Yes, I know nothing about them. My main question is how much pressure should I have in them? In my tube tires I ride on 100. Also, can I add air using the tubeless valve? I have many more questions but I'll keep it to these two for now. Thank you,
If you've been running 100 on regular tires of the same width, you can probably run 80 but you might want to try 85 first just to see how much deflection there is in the sidewall and yes, you air up just like a tubed tire.

Old 10-06-20, 09:19 PM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
Had my tubeless setup for about 6 months. Initially, I put the recommended amount of sealant and 3 months later another 1 oz. Wondering if it is time to add more or take the old sealant out and just put fresh?

I've ridden about 1200 miles and don't know how many flats I had. I used to get a flat every other ride, now I don't pay attention. I am also asking because I have the Dura Ace C40 wheels and Shimano says not to use tire levers. Im sure I can just insert a tube and pull the old sealant out without taking tires off or its just as well to add another dose and deal with it later?
Old 10-07-20, 06:09 AM
shona

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Tubeless or Not

I have been told to add sealant every three months.
Old 10-07-20, 06:58 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by sshakari
Had my tubeless setup for about 6 months. Initially, I put the recommended amount of sealant and 3 months later another 1 oz. Wondering if it is time to add more or take the old sealant out and just put fresh?

I've ridden about 1200 miles and don't know how many flats I had. I used to get a flat every other ride, now I don't pay attention. I am also asking because I have the Dura Ace C40 wheels and Shimano says not to use tire levers. Im sure I can just insert a tube and pull the old sealant out without taking tires off or its just as well to add another dose and deal with it later?
With your previous flat frequency, you're probably due (or overdue) for some sealant at that kind of mileage. Leaving the tires in place is certainly the most convenient. If your valves will allow a sealant syringe tube to pass all the way through, it's best to suck it out and a) see if it's still in good shape (watery/thin is no good - it should be more like the consistency of half & half) and b) how much is left.

Originally Posted by shona
I have been told to add sealant every three months.
For some people, that might be overkill. For others, it could leave them without puncture protection after the first 4-5 weeks. You really should check it if you don't want any surprises on a ride.
Old 10-07-20, 07:04 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
I use a syringe through the valve body and did a fluid check last week after 3 months and a 1,000 miles or so. They started with 2 oz and were down between 0.5 oz. and 0.75 oz. since I had already sucked the used fluid out, I put new in. Took all of 15 minutes.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 10-07-20, 08:22 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
I went TL this summer. It was great until I recently got a flat. It was a cut in the tire that sealant would not seal, but it did let me get home 5km. That made me realize how much simpler it would be to stop, replace tube, pump and go. No more TL on road bike for me.
Likes For crazyravr:
Old 10-07-20, 08:44 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by crazyravr
I went TL this summer. It was great until I recently got a flat. It was a cut in the tire that sealant would not seal, but it did let me get home 5km. That made me realize how much simpler it would be to stop, replace tube, pump and go. No more TL on road bike for me.
How big of a cut? And what sealant were you using? Did you have plugs?
Old 10-07-20, 03:47 PM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
I did the same. Very simple and worked like a charm. Pulled old out & topped with new 2oz per wheel. Cheers!
Old 10-08-20, 08:01 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
How big of a cut? And what sealant were you using? Did you have plugs?
Stans sealant. 1/8-1/4" cut. I tried to plug but they popped out. I added more sealant at home hoping it would seal up. Nope. Went back to tubes and will deal with the few punctures I get per year over my 10K km + riding.
Old 10-08-20, 08:33 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by crazyravr
Stans sealant.
Well, there ya go.
Old 10-08-20, 09:27 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Well, there ya go.
Yep. Stans does not work great at higher pressures. I use it on MTBs but use Orange Seal on road bikes.
Likes For Pizzaiolo Americano:
Old 10-08-20, 09:50 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by yarbrough462
Yep. Stans does not work great at higher pressures. I use it on MTBs but use Orange Seal on road bikes.
I honestly blame Stan's for about 80% of bad reputation that road tubeless has. Generally, people are willing to put up with a little futzing here and there if something works as advertised, but when early road tubeless adopters had piss poor results when carrying over Stan's, it just started the chorus of "tubeless is great for MTB but doesn't work for road!"
Old 10-08-20, 10:20 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Well, there ya go.
I honestly blame Stan's for about 80% of bad reputation that road tubeless has. Generally, people are willing to put up with a little futzing here and there if something works as advertised, but when early road tubeless adopters had piss poor results when carrying over Stan's, it just started the chorus of "tubeless is great for MTB but doesn't work for road!"
Honestly, I was one of those. Rode tubeless MTBs for years using Stans. Once I decided to go tubeless on my road bikes, I had issues with it not sealing. I almost went back to tubes but tried Orange Seal on a whim (and maybe some advice here) and was happy. It works great at high pressure.
Likes For Pizzaiolo Americano:
Old 10-08-20, 12:41 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I was one of those guys. 23mm tires, high pressures, and Stan’s sealant just doesn’t work. Now I love tubeless road. 23mm internal width hoops, 30mm tires, 60psi, and TruckerCo cream II works great.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 10-08-20, 01:08 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by yarbrough462
Honestly, I was one of those. Rode tubeless MTBs for years using Stans. Once I decided to go tubeless on my road bikes, I had issues with it not sealing. I almost went back to tubes but tried Orange Seal on a whim (and maybe some advice here) and was happy. It works great at high pressure.
+1 on using Stans and failing, but working fine on Orange Seal. And I run 105 PSI because even after a major weight loss I am still at a slim trim 105-110 kilograms.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 10-09-20, 08:17 PM
fried bake

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
So the Schwalbe Pro One TLE are on their way out. 900 miles and I think that, while a good intro to tubeless, there are probably better out there. The good: Sticky, grippy, sponge cake armchair ride. The bad: random rear tire failure (no cuts) with a sidewall leak while descending. Still no idea what caused this to happen. Anyway, installed a tube which lasted just a couple rides before another puncture. And, at that point, it was time for a change.

Today I installed the Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance11 Storm (who names these?) and went on inaugural ride. Mounted them right out the box with only a single tire lever for the last bit. They inflated and held air straight away with floor pump. So, easier to mount than the Schwalbe, even though they feel thicker, less supple in hand. As for the ride: no discernible difference in ride quality (which is a good thing) but I’m hoping for better reliability. Will report back after a couple hundred miles but so far I’m pleased with the decision. Shipped in two days from Merlin, and still cheaper than anywhere in the USA (even with the $27 shipping fee).
Old 10-09-20, 08:36 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by fried bake
Today I installed the Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance11 Storm (who names these?) and went on inaugural ride. Mounted them right out the box with only a single tire lever for the last bit. They inflated and held air straight away with floor pump. So, easier to mount than the Schwalbe, even though they feel thicker, less supple in hand. As for the ride: no discernible difference in ride quality (which is a good thing) but I’m hoping for better reliability. Will report back after a couple hundred miles but so far I’m pleased with the decision. Shipped in two days from Merlin, and still cheaper than anywhere in the USA (even with the $27 shipping fee).
I was riding those Hutchinsons prior to the Pro One Addix TLE. They were fine, but I think that the Addix have a more supple ride and, on two occasions, with two different tires, they did take cuts that were just a little too large to seal on their own; it could have been coincidental, but those are a rare experience for me, so the fact that two took the same kind of damage was suspect.