Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does A Base Layer Keep A Rider Cooler in Hot Weather

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Does A Base Layer Keep A Rider Cooler in Hot Weather

Old 07-31-20, 01:08 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Good lord, are you really asking me to geek out more than I have already?

Of course, the energy required to change the temperature of water is its heat capacity, Cp, also known as the specific heat, as I covered in a different context in #53
The thermal diffusivity, D, which I used in #59 , is equal to the thermal conductivity, k, divided by the product of the heat capacity, Cp, and density, rho D= k/(rho*Cp).

Therefore, because the form of the equation in #53 is calculated with the diffusivity, rather than the conductivity, the energy required to change the temperature of water is already considered in the calculation.

I know that there are some engineers in this forum. I hope they all find this amusing.
Okay, so if you reduce the amount of water on the skin surface, you don't have to cool as much water to cool the skin, right?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-31-20, 01:14 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4344 Post(s)
Liked 2,991 Times in 1,848 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Okay, so if you reduce the amount of water on the skin surface, you don't have to cool as much water to cool the skin, right?
I'm not sure you are thinking about it correctly. apart from evaporation, the heat loss through this layer of water (let's call it a film) is conductive (or diffusive) loss. In other words, the film is an insulating layer. But water is an excellent therrmal conductor compared to air (or to air-filled cloth), and it has negligible effect unless the layer of water is unreasonably thick. If you were to posit a layer of water that was half a centimeter thick, its insulating properties could matter.

Please just take my word for it.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 07-31-20, 01:35 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I'm not sure you are thinking about it correctly. apart from evaporation, the heat loss through this layer of water (let's call it a film) is conductive (or diffusive) loss. In other words, the film is an insulating layer. But water is an excellent therrmal conductor compared to air (or to air-filled cloth), and it has negligible effect unless the layer of water is unreasonably thick. If you were to posit a layer of water that was half a centimeter thick, its insulating properties could matter.

Please just take my word for it.
You're approaching understanding. You just agreed to the concept that a layer of sweat serves as insulation. The question is whether its absence is noticeable for the person sweating, and we just had someone observe that wiping off the sweat leaves him feeling cooler, AND we have an explanation for that phenomenon that you just agreed is valid. You simply don't believe anyone could notice the effect. You're not arguing science at this point. You're arguing belief - YOUR belief about what OTHERS could perceive.

Old 07-31-20, 01:39 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

You're approaching understanding. You just agreed to the concept that a layer of sweat serves as insulation. The question is whether its absence is noticeable for the person sweating, and we just had someone observe that wiping off the sweat leaves him feeling cooler, AND we have an explanation for that phenomenon that you just agreed is valid. You simply don't believe anyone could notice the effect. You're not arguing science at this point. You're arguing belief - YOUR belief about what OTHERS could perceive.
Yes, I know everybody with an internet connection is an expert, but this is not in any way about "belief" or "perception" It's the physics of heat transfer..

Again, for reasonable thicknesses of sweat layers, the insulating effect is negligible. I already calculated this above.
Old 07-31-20, 01:48 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
You simply don't believe anyone could notice the effect.
Without getting into the role of a surface film, I'd just point out that one can't sense heat transfer from the skin and we're not very good at detecting changes in core temperature. All of which is to say, you can't judge how effective something is or isn't based on feelings. For example, pouring cold water over yourself feels as if it is cooling you because it lowers the skin temperature, but due to surface vasoconstriction, you end up losing less heat afterwards and the overall effect is worse than before.
Old 07-31-20, 01:53 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Yes, I know everybody with an internet connection is an expert, but this is not in any way about "belief" or "perception" It's the physics of heat transfer..

Again, for reasonable thicknesses of sweat layers, the insulating effect is negligible. I already calculated this above.
Indeed.

Old 07-31-20, 01:56 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by asgelle
Without getting into the role of a surface film, I'd just point out that one can't sense heat transfer from the skin and we're not very good at detecting changes in core temperature. All of which is to say, you can't judge how effective something is or isn't based on feelings. For example, pouring cold water over yourself feels as if it is cooling you because it lowers the skin temperature, but due to surface vasoconstriction, you end up losing less heat afterwards and the overall effect is worse than before.
This must explain why nobody feels any cooler on hot days simply by standing in front of a fan.

Oh, wait.

Old 07-31-20, 01:58 PM
asgelle

This must explain why nobody feels any cooler on hot days simply by standing in front of a fan.

Oh, wait.
So you didn't notice the whistling as the point sailed over your head.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 07-31-20, 02:21 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

So you didn't notice the whistling as the point sailed over your head.
*sigh* We have nerve endings that perceive temperature, yes? And the result of heat transfer from the skin is change in skin temperature, yes? So, we perceive, if somewhat indirectly, heat transfer from the skin, yes?

Old 07-31-20, 02:23 PM
asgelle

*sigh* We have nerve endings that perceive temperature, yes? And the result of heat transfer from the skin is change in skin temperature, yes? So, we perceive, if somewhat indirectly, heat transfer from the skin, yes?
Yes, No, No.
Old 07-31-20, 02:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

So, transferring heat from the skin does not change its temperature? Do tell.

Old 07-31-20, 02:30 PM
asgelle

https://www.amazon.com/Transport-Phe...6227342&sr=8-1
Old 07-31-20, 02:40 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

So, you're saying that if I read this book, I'll understand how heat can be transferred from Thing 1 to Thing 2 without Thing 1 losing any heat?

Old 07-31-20, 02:42 PM
asgelle

So, you're saying that if I read this book, I'll understand how heat can be transferred from Thing 1 to Thing 2 without Thing 1 losing any heat?
No, but you might learn how to frame a consistent, logical argument.

Old 07-31-20, 02:47 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

No, but you might learn how to frame a consistent, logical argument.
Well, if you've read it, that's not a glowing testimonial.

Old 07-31-20, 03:48 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
I have always felt that a base layer holds your sweat closer to your body which helps regulate cooling. You do see a lot of riders who do not use a base layer when it’s hot. I wonder if it doesn’t make a difference.
Not for me. More layers equals more heat.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 07-31-20, 04:49 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Kudos to you guys for keeping cool in a hot discussion.

Does anyone have explanation for the radical variation in the amount that folks sweat?

Personally, I sweat relatively little, live in a lower humidity area, and wear a base layer on the theory that sweat that drips off is not available to cool you as it evaporates.

Less cooling leads to more sweating in attempt to cool, and results in more dehydration. So the in-the-moment feeling of coolness is not the main point.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 07-31-20, 05:00 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10142 Post(s)
Liked 5,831 Times in 3,139 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Kudos to you guys for keeping cool in a hot discussion.

Does anyone have explanation for the radical variation in the amount that folks sweat?
Just about everything you'd ever want to know on the subject of sweat rate differences between and within individuals is in this comprehensive review: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5371639/
Old 07-31-20, 05:24 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Just about everything you'd ever want to know on the subject of sweat rate differences between and within individuals is in this comprehensive review: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5371639/

Thanks!

However, seems to be more everything you'd ever want to know about test methods and sample collection of sweat
Old 07-31-20, 07:12 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Ah, but are they wearing a base layer under that?
And if so, is it a Rapha?
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-31-20, 07:48 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Where I live, for most here, 85 degrees is considered very hot. In other places, it doesn’t get as low as that all summer. Our bodies adjust to the perception of cold and hot at some level. I wonder if the same thing happens with those of us who wear base layers in the summer; we get used to the added feel of heat?
Old 07-31-20, 07:58 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
And if so, is it a Rapha?
If a cyclist wears Rapha but nobody can see the stripe, is is still elitist?

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-31-20, 08:32 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3877 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,377 Posts
I don't think you are correct in this first assertion. We cannot feel temperature. We only feel heat transfer. For instance in a hot oven everything is the same temperature. One puts one's hand in the oven and the hand feels a bit warm. We touch the hot pot, and we immediately sense burning. This is because convection (the air) is much slower to transfer heat than is conduction (the pot). Our nerves certainly tell that conduction is more effective at heat transfer than is convection.

Your second assertion is only partially true. Whether or not cold water lowers core temperature depends entirely on the time and volume of the cold water. Standing under a waterfall definitely lowers core temperature as does a cold plunge. In both these cases our skin will definitely feel heat transfer. Pouring a little cold water on one's head will likely produce the effect as you say. Pouring 4 cold water bottles on one's head is more likely to increase heat transfer, which we will feel. A sock full of ice around the neck definitely cools one - there are two phase changes involved, and our neck skin definitely detects heat transfer until it becomes numb.
Old 07-31-20, 08:43 PM
asgelle

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I don't think you are correct in this first assertion. We cannot feel temperature. We only feel heat transfer. For instance in a hot oven everything is the same temperature. One puts one's hand in the oven and the hand feels a bit warm. We touch the hot pot, and we immediately sense burning. This is because convection (the air) is much slower to transfer heat than is conduction (the pot). Our nerves certainly tell that conduction is more effective at heat transfer than is convection.
Not quite. Air being a poor conductor of heat, your skin remains close to body temp in the oven. The pot being a good conductor raises the skin temperature almost immediately. The difference in how the two situations feel is a result of the difference in skin temperature. We know the skin temps are different because for the pot there is cell damage from the high skin temperature. In air, there is no immediate damage because skin temperature remains low at least for a while.
Old 07-31-20, 09:01 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I don't think you are correct in this first assertion. We cannot feel temperature. We only feel heat transfer. For instance in a hot oven everything is the same temperature. One puts one's hand in the oven and the hand feels a bit warm. We touch the hot pot, and we immediately sense burning. This is because convection (the air) is much slower to transfer heat than is conduction (the pot). Our nerves certainly tell that conduction is more effective at heat transfer than is convection..
This isn't wholly true. I profess no expertise regarding thermoreceptors, so unlike others here, I won't comment where I don't have expertise. But regarding your oven analogy, whereas it is true that the temperature of the air and the temperature of the hot pot are the same, the nerves are not feeling the temperature of the external world. They are feeling the temperature at the nerve ending, inside your skin. The reason that you feel the greater signal from the pot is this case results in a larger increase in the temperature of the nerve ending - by the more rapid process of conduction from the steel handle.

Additionally, the process of heating from the hot oven air is still conduction, not convection. Convection requires that the air be in motion, but even if the air is stationary, you will feel the heating effect of the air. the reason you feel less of an effect is the vast difference in thermal conductivities of the two materials - air versus steel.

Additionally, for materials with the same thermal diffusivity, convection is MORE efficient at heat transfer than conduction. Here, its the difference in thermal properties between the materials that matters, not the heat transfer mechanism

Note that if you juxtapose two objects at a different temperature with one another (i.e, your cool hand and hot oven air, or your cool hand and hot pot handle), the instantaneous temperature at the interface at time = 0 is always half the difference (T1+T2)/2. So your hand does not feel the the exterior temperature instantaneously. In the case of contact with an excellent conductor, this changes - FAST.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.