Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does rotating weight really matter?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Does rotating weight really matter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-21, 11:29 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
It matters for acceleration since you not only have to accelerate the wheel mass forward with the rest of the bicycle, but you also have to add rotational energy to the wheels. And the rotational (angular) energy grows with the square of the rotational speed (angular velocity). (For the technical people, there is an w^2 factor where w=omega.) Forward kinetic energy only grows linearly with speed.
No, forward kinetic energy also increases at the square of the speed.
Old 05-01-21, 11:42 PM
Racing Dan

Originally Posted by Koyote
In other words, a guy who makes heavy aero wheels is trying to convince us that rotating mass doesn't matter very much.

Sure, yeah, I trust him.
True :-)

In racing and all else equal, lighter IS better. At the same power you accelerate and ascend faster. Period. However the penalty for adding a few hundred grams or even a kg is small and nothing that will spoil your Sunday ride. And saving a few aero watts is arguably more beneficial than saving a pound of weight, for most riding at least.
Old 05-02-21, 12:20 AM
Racing Dan

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
People use the rotating mass argument as a justification tool when trying to explain why they are riding multiple thousand dollar wheel sets while they are 20 or 30 lbs overweight.
Or marketing encourages misconceptions that make ppl believe a 200g lighter wheelset is much faster than the stock wheels, even if it likely isn't.

The basic difference between added weight or added rolling and wind resistance is analogue to the difference between a capacitor and a resistor. The former (weight) stores energy, but releases it again, whereas the latter (rolling and wind resistance) convert energy into heat and looses it.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 05-02-21, 02:52 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Having more than one road bike?
Without question.
Old 05-02-21, 02:56 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by Koyote
In other words, a guy who makes heavy aero wheels is trying to convince us that rotating mass doesn't matter very much.

Sure, yeah, I trust him.
I don't "trust" anyone. But, I am interested in the science.
Old 05-02-21, 01:02 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I don't "trust" anyone. But, I am interested in the science.
If you're interested in science, learn to ask a proper question. Of course rotating weight makes a difference, but then again everything makes some difference. The question is either how much of a difference does it make, or is the difference greater than some specified threshold.
Old 05-02-21, 01:10 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Let's talk about cassettes.. I don't think they qualify as rotating weight, since they only rotate when pedaling, correct? There'd be no stored kinetic energy, or is there? Same for cranks?
Old 05-02-21, 01:19 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Let's talk about cassettes.. I don't think they qualify as rotating weight, since they only rotate when pedaling, correct? There'd be no stored kinetic energy, or is there? Same for cranks?
There is some stored kinetic energy there, but (unlike the energy stored in wheels) it gets "thrown away" when you stop pedalling.
Old 05-02-21, 01:42 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Rotating weight matters to me, regardless of what an "engineer" or "scientist" says.
Old 05-02-21, 01:51 PM
asgelle

Originally Posted by nomadmax
Rotating weight matters to me, regardless of what an "engineer" or "scientist" says.
Well, as Daniel Patrick Moynihan said, “you’re entitled to your own opinion… .”

Last edited by asgelle; 05-02-21 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-02-21, 04:56 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
People use the rotating mass argument as a justification tool when trying to explain why they are riding multiple thousand dollar wheel sets while they are 20 or 30 lbs overweight.
My justification is what a weapon my treadly feels like with a kilo wheelset.
Old 05-02-21, 06:47 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
My take away thus far is that there has been a lot of money spent for not much gain. I am willing to be convinced otherwise but so far that's where I am.
I tried a lighter carbon wheel set a couple of years ago, and found no gain. They felt different but in the end, no noticeable speed gain. For me, at least, a total waste. I'll stick with my Roval SLX 24 wheels.
Old 05-03-21, 12:34 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
True :-)

In racing and all else equal, lighter IS better. At the same power you accelerate and ascend faster. Period. However the penalty for adding a few hundred grams or even a kg is small and nothing that will spoil your Sunday ride. And saving a few aero watts is arguably more beneficial than saving a pound of weight, for most riding at least.
​​​​​​No need to argue. 🙂 There's math to understand exactly how much time you'll save with less weight and with less aerodynamic resistance, so you can know which is more beneficial and by how much. We all have so much ride data we can break down how hilly our riding is, what % of our miles are on different steepness ranges, etc, to help with the "for most riding" part. You can even do that for just got favorites. We live in a golden age of cycling.
Old 05-03-21, 12:42 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
My take away thus far is that there has been a lot of money spent for not much gain. I am willing to be convinced otherwise but so far that's where I am.
Why do roadies have this myopic idea that anything that doesn't make you faster isn't worth doing? Having sex with my girlfriend doesn't affect my average speed on the bike, I wouldn't call it "no gain." Light weight bikes are more fun to ride, people gain more enjoyment of the time they spend cycling, anyone who thinks that's a whole lot of nothing needs to spend some time contemplating the meaning of life. When it's coming to an end none of us will care what kind of average speeds we did, most of us will care how much joy and misery we experienced when we look back.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-03-21, 02:48 AM
bruce19

Why do roadies have this myopic idea that anything that doesn't make you faster isn't worth doing? Having sex with my girlfriend doesn't affect my average speed on the bike, I wouldn't call it "no gain." Light weight bikes are more fun to ride, people gain more enjoyment of the time they spend cycling, anyone who thinks that's a whole lot of nothing needs to spend some time contemplating the meaning of life. When it's coming to an end none of us will care what kind of average speeds we did, most of us will care how much joy and misery we experienced when we look back.
I'm not crazed about average speed. I do, however like it when what is advertised is what is delivered. And, at age 75 I know full well it''s the journey and not the destination.
Old 05-03-21, 05:05 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I'm not crazed about average speed. I do, however like it when what is advertised is what is delivered. And, at age 75 I know full well it''s the journey and not the destination.
What benefits are being advertised as a direct result of wheel weight?
Old 05-03-21, 05:25 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
but I think generally folks are looking for a tangible benefit when they decide to shell out cash on wheels and higher priced bikes. So it’s fair to temper people’s expectations. I’ve seen videos where the time savings of nice carbon wheels vs basic aluminum wheels is about 1min per hour, I certainly can’t justify spending that much.

I have the most basic of bikes, a base model allez with Claris and axis sport branded wheels and I get lots of enjoyment on the bike, the only limiter is me. And I go way faster than a lot of folks because I’ve put in the work on myself. I think a lot of people buy into hype and then come up with nebulous things to justify spending way too much in absence of any tangible benefits they may have been looking for. Yeah it’s all about fun, but I think most folks have priorities outside of cycling and helping people make smart purchases is just as important as getting enjoyment.
Old 05-03-21, 06:18 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
My justification is what a weapon my treadly feels like with a kilo wheelset.
Whoops, I meant to say, 50mm kilo wheelset...

Aero >³ weight
Old 05-03-21, 06:33 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Riding a heavier / less efficient bike has merits
Old 05-03-21, 06:38 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
There are things called flywheels that rely on the effect of rotating weight - yes it matters

does it matter in your specific case? Probably
Old 05-03-21, 07:17 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
No, not really.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-03-21, 08:14 AM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Once again GCN does stupid science.
Motorcycle world knows all too well about rotating weight, yes it matters both during acceleration and constant motion.

Reminds when GCN does "keto diet" a few years back. What a bunch of hacks.
Old 05-03-21, 08:29 AM
asgelle

Originally Posted by aclinjury
Once again GCN does stupid science.
Motorcycle world knows all too well about rotating weight, yes it matters both during acceleration and constant motion.
To say it matters is a value judgement. Everyone will have their own value system. There is no blanket answer as to what matters. As to making a difference, any change by definition makes a difference cf. my post above.

p.s. bicycles are not motorcycles.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 05-03-21, 10:35 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
Not for me.
Old 05-03-21, 10:44 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3430 Post(s)
Liked 3,566 Times in 1,792 Posts
When it's coming to an end none of us will care what kind of average speeds we did, most of us will care how much joy and misery we experienced when we look back.
Some of us will care.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.