Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubeless Tires on Road bike. Yuck!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tubeless Tires on Road bike. Yuck!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-21, 11:01 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Orange Seal (regular) or Notubes (regular). I have used the diff versions of both and the regular seals the best. I do use the Subzero Orange Seal in deep winter when riding the Fatbike under freezing, but maybe you can fins the Stan's/NoTubes stuff? Caffe Latex is not great, as Psimet says. Don't bother with it unless you have absolutely noting else available. Obviously, it is much better than nothing but look for different options as well.
Old 07-07-21, 12:37 PM
Rodrigo Kenobi

Bikes: Trek Domane AL 5 Disc 2022

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I have wasted too much time in my life waiting for Cafe Latex to do its job. Was a good one in the early days but its time has passed.

Aw, crap. Now I've already bought it Well, we'll see how it goes! I'll report back after some time of use.
Old 07-07-21, 12:48 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by Rodrigo Kenobi
Aw, crap. Now I've already bought it Well, we'll see how it goes! I'll report back after some time of use.

I'm using the Caffelatex in my road wheels with the Panaracer Race A EVO3 tubeless tires with good results. I really don't know what to compare it to since this is is my first bike that I have officially ridden for any distance with a tubeless set up. Once I got my valves and rim tape sorted, the sealant has been working properly.
Old 07-08-21, 07:41 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,131 Times in 1,646 Posts
So I bought some new wheels recently (Bontrager Aeolus 3 TLR) for my daily driver Giant TCR. I thought I'd try tubeless since I just wanted to try something new. I do ride tubeless on my MTB, just not road yet.

I had some IRC X-guard Formula Pros lying around, and purchased a Schwalbe Pro One Evolution as well, both in 25 C. The frame is a 2013 and wont clear some 28's.

Neither tire would seat. The rim came with bonty rim strip pre-installed, so that's the only lead that we had. I had a buddy come over (racer teammate, former bike mechanic) and we tried soapy water and even hitting it with some CO2. His explanation was that the bead diameters on the tires were slightly small compared to the rim, and that the CO2 blast wasn't enough to get the bead up over the "shelf" (narrow inner channel ) to seat properly. In his opinion, the rim tape looked good and a CO2 compressor would not have necessarily done a lot more than our CO2 canister, so it was just a bad combination.

That basically turned me off from road tubeless. My experience with MTB has been so easy, I don't need to worry about difficult combinations and I can seat most tires with a regular floor pump. I put some tubes in it and some GP5000s I had lying around and honestly I don't see myself going back. The lack of a universal standard (outside Mavic UST) and the higher pressure than MTB can just be problematic if you don't have a amenable combination of equipment. On the flip side, I'm sure if it worked easily that I'd be riding road tubeless now, possibly for a while.

When the Bontrager R3s become available again at the retailer, I might take it to the Trek store and ask them to set them up, but honestly, I might not either.

I don't live in goathead country and don't really get many flats. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Last edited by TMonk; 07-08-21 at 01:54 PM.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 07-08-21, 02:24 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
So I bought some new wheels recently (Bontrager Aeolus 3 TLR) for my daily driver Giant TCR. I thought I'd try tubeless since I just wanted to try something new. I do ride tubeless on my MTB, just not road yet.

I had some IRC X-guard Formula Pros lying around, and purchased a Schwalbe Pro One Evolution as well, both in 25 C. The frame is a 2013 and wont clear some 28's.

Neither tire would seat. The rim came with bonty rim strip pre-installed, so that's the only lead that we had. I had a buddy come over (racer teammate, former bike mechanic) and we tried soapy water and even hitting it with some CO2. His explanation was that the bead diameters on the tires were slightly small compared to the rim, and that the CO2 blast wasn't enough to get the bead up over the "shelf" (narrow inner channel ) to seat properly. In his opinion, the rim tape looked good and a CO2 compressor would not have necessarily done a lot more than our CO2 canister, so it was just a bad combination.

That basically turned me off from road tubeless. My experience with MTB has been so easy, I don't need to worry about difficult combinations and I can seat most tires with a regular floor pump. I put some tubes in it and some GP5000s I had lying around and honestly I don't see myself going back. The lack of a universal standard (outside Mavic UST) and the higher pressure than MTB can just be problematic if you don't have a amenable combination of equipment. On the flip side, I'm sure if it worked easily that I'd be riding road tubeless now, possibly for a while.

When the Bontrager R3s become available again at the retailer, I might take it to the Trek store and ask them to set them up, but honestly, I might not either.

I don't live in goathead country and don't really get many flats. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
The Bonties will fit very good obviously, but try Pirelli's P Zero Race TLR's. They mount super easy and I was able to bead them with a regular floor pump on my Aeolus Pro 3v's and Pro 37's. I was also able to mount them on some older 2015 Aeolus 5's 17mm inside rim width without issue. They have a 26mm that should work for you.

Likes For jaxgtr: