Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is this bike a good deal? (2008 Cervelo P2C) Please help! Thanks!!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-10-21, 12:45 AM
AANSHAY123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hi, I recently joined my local cycling club after seeing a fundraiser and participating in it with a borrowed bike. After riding 30 miles with them at the fundraiser, I found out that I also really enjoy road biking in addition to mountain biking for the past 3 or 4 years.

So after riding my friend's old aluminum Trek bike, one of the club members said they might have a bike that they could sell to me for a good deal. So the bike in question is a 2008 Cervelo P2C. It is a time trial bike but with a road bike cockpit.
Specs:
Size 48
Custom Zipp Wheels with bladed spokes
Dura-Ace 9100 Cranks, Derailleur, Cassette, and Left shifter
Dura-Ace 9000 Right shifter and rim brakes
Cinelli Ram 2 carbon handlebars
Carbon Fiber seat

So looking online, Dura-Ace 9100 is only on bikes around $7000+ and the groupset is around $1800 alone.

I am also 5' 7" ish so a size 48 is a bit small BUT pros ride smaller bikes so I mean it could work? I'm not too sure. I have ridden the bike for around 45miles but it was like 22 miles each ride. The bike didn't feel small but my upper traps got a bit sore maybe because my back was rounded while biking since I don't know much about form or road biking technique. The seat is also raised pretty high (as you can see in the 3rd photo) and pushed back. My palms also hurt during the first 30min to 1 hr but after that, it goes away.

I am also worried about the frame since it is 13 years old and carbon fiber. It has a few scuffs and paint chips but other than that, it looks and feels sturdy. I was able to hit and hold 30mph for 1 mile the other day HAHA

The guy who is selling it is a really nice guy and used to own a bike shop and has been tuning up the bike after each ride (like chain skipping or the cable tension being too low so it wouldn't shift up to the larger front chainring). He currently rides a 2018 Guerciotti with the same Dura-Ace 9100/9000 components.

He said he would sell me the bike for $1200 but he was planning on selling it for $2500 on eBay. What do you guys think? Please advise me on what to do next! Thank you!!!

imgur.com/vmk01y7
imgur.com/2ueCjLr
imgur.com/O9iODb8
Old 07-10-21, 02:41 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
The components and wheels are probably worth $1200. You could sawp them on to a new frameset someday. All that really matters is if you can get a proper fit on it and if you're comfortable on long rides. Sounds like it might be okay. Looks bigger than a 48 to me but it might just be the picture.

Old 07-10-21, 06:40 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 252 Posts
It's a lot of bike for the money but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best deal for you. It sounds to me like you could be letting your excitement of getting a high end bike at your budget get in the way of reasoning through the situation. The possible size issue would bother me most. Ideally you should get a bike fit and ride something that you know fits. You can always suffer through a shorter ride on a poorly fitted bike where a much longer ride would be tortuous. The style bike also may be an issue. I have some bikes that are fun and zippy on a short ride that I wouldn't ever choose for a 50 mile ride. You can buy a lot of bike on the used market for $1200. The main thing is to buy something that will both fit you and fit exactly what you intend to do with the bike.
Old 07-10-21, 03:18 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
If the picture above is a picture of the actual bike being sold, I am not sure it is a 48cm frame. I looked up frame geometry for this model and it shows the 48 came with 650c wheels (yuk!) Add to that how is a TT frame going to translate to a proper road fit? Keep looking.
Old 07-11-21, 12:06 PM
AANSHAY123

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
If the picture above is a picture of the actual bike being sold, I am not sure it is a 48cm frame. I looked up frame geometry for this model and it shows the 48 came with 650c wheels (yuk!) Add to that how is a TT frame going to translate to a proper road fit? Keep looking.
Thanks for your reply! I believe it is a 48. I know the bike has 650cc wheels but I can ask the guy about the size again.
Old 07-11-21, 12:10 PM
AANSHAY123

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RH Clark
It's a lot of bike for the money but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best deal for you. It sounds to me like you could be letting your excitement of getting a high end bike at your budget get in the way of reasoning through the situation. The possible size issue would bother me most. Ideally you should get a bike fit and ride something that you know fits. You can always suffer through a shorter ride on a poorly fitted bike where a much longer ride would be tortuous. The style bike also may be an issue. I have some bikes that are fun and zippy on a short ride that I wouldn't ever choose for a 50 mile ride. You can buy a lot of bike on the used market for $1200. The main thing is to buy something that will both fit you and fit exactly what you intend to do with the bike.
Oh okay! Would it be worth it to buy it and maybe swap out the frame eventually or just start somewhere else? Also, would you have any suggestions for where I should start looking or any good bikes/brands? Or what I could possibly get for $1200 on the used market? Thanks!
Old 07-11-21, 12:12 PM
AANSHAY123

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lazyass
The components and wheels are probably worth $1200. You could sawp them on to a new frameset someday. All that really matters is if you can get a proper fit on it and if you're comfortable on long rides. Sounds like it might be okay. Looks bigger than a 48 to me but it might just be the picture.
Oh okay, thanks!
Old 07-11-21, 01:52 PM
RH Clark

Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by AANSHAY123
Oh okay! Would it be worth it to buy it and maybe swap out the frame eventually or just start somewhere else? Also, would you have any suggestions for where I should start looking or any good bikes/brands? Or what I could possibly get for $1200 on the used market? Thanks!
I couldn't tell you what to get.. Your know what you need the bike to do better than anyone else. All I'm saying is that that bike looks like a lot of fun to me for shorter rides on good roads. For my particular needs however that's all it would be. For my best use,I would need something more compliant and comfortable in the frame that would handle the rougher patched up roads we have locally. I actually ride about 8 different bikes depending on the conditions and how far I intend to go. My post was only intended to direct you toward a decision based on your particular needs. Good luck.
Old 07-12-21, 01:30 AM
AANSHAY123

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RH Clark
I couldn't tell you what to get.. Your know what you need the bike to do better than anyone else. All I'm saying is that that bike looks like a lot of fun to me for shorter rides on good roads. For my particular needs however that's all it would be. For my best use,I would need something more compliant and comfortable in the frame that would handle the rougher patched up roads we have locally. I actually ride about 8 different bikes depending on the conditions and how far I intend to go. My post was only intended to direct you toward a decision based on your particular needs. Good luck.
Ahhh okay! Thank you!
Old 07-12-21, 05:52 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
... I found out that I also really enjoy road biking .... It is a time trial bike but with a road bike cockpit.
This concept is confusing to me. Time trial bikes are typically only used for intense, straight ahead, most-aero shorter rides. Max effort and max result, but with max suffering. The position is very much "over the crank" and not conducive to road riding under varying conditions. The set-up may or may not fit you. My advice would be to steer clear of this offer.

Start with a fit calculator (free software application) and measure your body. Get an idea of the dimensions that would fit you best, and then begin your search from there. Even borrowed or rented bikes of the correct size will give you an opportunity to determine what is both comfortable and efficient for you.

There are terrific and fun bikes out there. I very much doubt that the one you've mentioned is one of them. I'm pretty sure that I can guess why the owner wants to sell it...
Old 07-12-21, 06:05 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I think those may be fake Zipps.

I'm also not sure why you'd want a drop bar on that frame.
Old 07-12-21, 12:32 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4381 Post(s)
Liked 4,817 Times in 2,976 Posts
Personally I wouldn’t touch a Frankenbike like this. I think you would be better off looking for a used road bike with a little more comfort than this would provide. That looks like a harsh ride.
Old 07-12-21, 12:42 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
The pictured bike would be among the last I would ever choose for someone to start road riding on.
And that cockpit is simply atrocious.
Old 07-15-21, 04:00 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 311 Posts
Nope. Do this guy a favor and let him get "$2500" on the bay.

Trying to sell you this monstrosity as a new road cyclist is criminal. Shame on him.
Old 07-15-21, 08:09 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Good deal iof youre beginning a triathlon hobby maybe -- (and if youre really short -- at 5'7" , youre not - this bike, if actually a 48 with 650c wheels - would suit someone about 5'3
Old 07-15-21, 08:20 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
It's a bit ugly up front and there are enough things going on to make one wonder what's really happening with it (like what's up with the blue electrical tape on the bar?)...but at $1200 (assuming the Zipps are real) it might be a pretty good deal and would be a cool project bike. Assuming everything is legit and its the right size for you, I'd get it. Replace that bar tape and probably the whole handlebar/stem (looks like a one piece) and you have a nice looking bike. You can make adjustments to make it comfortable as a road bike despite the TT frame.
Old 07-17-21, 01:11 AM
Bowie Beattie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
suppose it's a good deal
Old 07-17-21, 05:31 AM
pgjackson

Hi, I recently joined my local cycling club after seeing a fundraiser and participating in it with a borrowed bike. After riding 30 miles with them at the fundraiser, I found out that I also really enjoy road biking in addition to mountain biking for the past 3 or 4 years.

So after riding my friend's old aluminum Trek bike, one of the club members said they might have a bike that they could sell to me for a good deal. So the bike in question is a 2008 Cervelo P2C. It is a time trial bike but with a road bike cockpit.
Specs:
Size 48
Custom Zipp Wheels with bladed spokes
Dura-Ace 9100 Cranks, Derailleur, Cassette, and Left shifter
Dura-Ace 9000 Right shifter and rim brakes
Cinelli Ram 2 carbon handlebars
Carbon Fiber seat

So looking online, Dura-Ace 9100 is only on bikes around $7000+ and the groupset is around $1800 alone.

I am also 5' 7" ish so a size 48 is a bit small BUT pros ride smaller bikes so I mean it could work? I'm not too sure. I have ridden the bike for around 45miles but it was like 22 miles each ride. The bike didn't feel small but my upper traps got a bit sore maybe because my back was rounded while biking since I don't know much about form or road biking technique. The seat is also raised pretty high (as you can see in the 3rd photo) and pushed back. My palms also hurt during the first 30min to 1 hr but after that, it goes away.

I am also worried about the frame since it is 13 years old and carbon fiber. It has a few scuffs and paint chips but other than that, it looks and feels sturdy. I was able to hit and hold 30mph for 1 mile the other day HAHA

The guy who is selling it is a really nice guy and used to own a bike shop and has been tuning up the bike after each ride (like chain skipping or the cable tension being too low so it wouldn't shift up to the larger front chainring). He currently rides a 2018 Guerciotti with the same Dura-Ace 9100/9000 components.

He said he would sell me the bike for $1200 but he was planning on selling it for $2500 on eBay. What do you guys think? Please advise me on what to do next! Thank you!!!

imgur.com/vmk01y7
imgur.com/2ueCjLr
imgur.com/O9iODb8
Well, did you get it?
Old 08-01-21, 11:29 AM
AANSHAY123

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pgjackson
Well, did you get it?
I ended up not getting it but unfortunately, a lot of road bikes are out of stock so I'll keep looking around
Old 08-01-21, 11:36 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4381 Post(s)
Liked 4,817 Times in 2,976 Posts
I ended up not getting it but unfortunately, a lot of road bikes are out of stock so I'll keep looking around
You definitely made the right decision!
Old 08-01-21, 11:38 AM
pgjackson

I was looking at FB Marketplace yesterday and there seemed to be a lot of used tri bikes available in the $1000-2000 range in my area. More than usual. I don't need a tri bike, but I'd really like to get one someday.