Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek's misleading fender-support claims for Domane

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-13, 07:12 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One of the reasons I bought a Domane 4.5 last week was the way-cool hidden fender mounts. I want(ed) to use it as a long-range commuter including in the rain, so fenders are essential and I've had my fill of strap-ons. Nearly every review mentions this feature and specifically that the bike has clearance for 25s with fenders (as was my local dealer's understanding).

So when the Bontrager-approved set arrived this week I was excited...until I tried to install them. But the front mounting bracket doesn't fit the Domane fork (at least for the 4.5, or if you want to get picky, the 4.5 that was sold to me). moreover, no way there is rear clearance for fenders with the stock (25c) tires. we barley got them to fit with 23s, and we still can't get the front fenders to fit.

so, if you care about fenders don't buy Domane. great bike otherwise
Old 03-28-13, 07:21 PM
RobertL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not good. Go to the Trek web site and send them a note and see what they have to say.
Old 03-28-13, 08:48 PM
mtalinm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks, did that + tweeted @trekbikes (public complaining = best way to get attention from most companies)
Old 03-28-13, 08:53 PM
kv501

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mtalinm
...and I've had my fill of strap-ons.
TMI my friend...TMI.
Likes For kv501:
Old 03-28-13, 08:56 PM
Gran Fondo

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale SuperSix Evo Hi-Mod, 2013 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry that you had your "fill of strap-ons".

If it's any consolation, I was able to modify a set of cheap Avenir plastic fenders so that they fit my Fuji Gran Fondo. It has 23c tires, but clearance is still tight. You only need a few millimeters of clearance though fo them to work.
Old 03-28-13, 09:35 PM
Condor637

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale SuperSix 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since you bought it only a week ago, return the bike and get the Domane that accomodates the fenders. They'll do it, Trek is really good at exchanges.

Old 03-29-13, 06:08 AM
mtalinm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Condor637
Since you bought it only a week ago, return the bike and get the Domane that accomodates the fenders. They'll do it, Trek is really good at exchanges.

they claim all the models do. this one has the "vanishing eyelets" - it's the clearance that is the problem.

but yes, I have had good experiences with Trek trying to make things right in the past. will push them on this
Old 03-29-13, 06:34 AM
pcb09

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ever cross your mind that the fenders you got are problem and not the bike, trek/bontrager make a number of different models of fenders that are different sizes and shapes. It is very possible that the particular fender you selected does not fit, but that does not mean that a different fender system will not work.
Old 03-29-13, 07:31 AM
mtalinm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pcb09
Ever cross your mind that the fenders you got are problem and not the bike, trek/bontrager make a number of different models of fenders that are different sizes and shapes. It is very possible that the particular fender you selected does not fit, but that does not mean that a different fender system will not work.
that was of course my first question for the LBS (Trek dealer). they assured me this was the Bontrager fender set Trek recommends; indeed, the clip-on fender mounts work with the "vanishing" eyelets. but the bracket and clearance are off.

I'm hoping my LBS is confused somehow, but I doubt it. and, staring at the rear brake, I just don't see the clearance for fenders with a 25c tire.
Old 03-29-13, 07:56 AM
fstshrk

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I am thinking your backup commuter is more suitable for
the task then this trek.
Old 03-29-13, 08:31 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 643 Posts
Originally Posted by fstshrk
I am thinking your backup commuter is more suitable for
the task then this trek.
I was thinking that as well
Old 03-29-13, 08:44 AM
mtalinm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Domane would be perfect for my commute if it the fenders worked, thank you.
Old 03-29-13, 09:14 AM
fstshrk

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mtalinm
Domane would be perfect for my commute if it the fenders worked, thank you.
Why, do you ride cobblestones on the way to work?
Old 03-29-13, 09:27 AM
mtalinm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fstshrk
Why, do you ride cobblestones on the way to work?
there actually is a stretch of cobblestones, yes. but more generally, it's a 13-15 mile commute with two distinct stretches. the first half is smooth suburban roads built for speed, where a race bike would be great. but the second half is urban jungle with lots of potholed streets where you'd like a bike that can handle the bumps. most of my bikes are good for one half or the other; Domane does both.

that's why I so disappointed about the fenders. it is back at the LBS again today for another try, and the dealer is calling his distributor to find out what is going on. he's quite upset at Trek as he is already out a pair of tires to try to make this work for me
Old 03-29-13, 10:17 AM
Bostic

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Full fenders on my Volagi Liscio. 700x25 conti or rubino pros.

https://imageshack.us/a/img560/2672/imagexdq.jpg
Old 03-29-13, 10:37 AM
bobones

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Bostic
Full fenders on my Volagi Liscio. 700x25 conti or rubino pros.

[/
Call them full fenders?

Old 03-29-13, 10:52 AM
Bostic

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I still have to add on some of these to be ready for full down pour commutes and longer rides.

Old 03-29-13, 11:01 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
did your dealer trim the fenders around the calipers? This almost always increases clearance. A little time with a dremel should fix most if not all your clearance issues.
Old 03-29-13, 11:24 AM
mtalinm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
did your dealer trim the fenders around the calipers? This almost always increases clearance. A little time with a dremel should fix most if not all your clearance issues.
great idea, thanks. he already took a hammer to the misshapen clamp, so I'll suggest this. we also put washers on top of the screws that hold the clamp to the fender to reduce the amt the screws stick out below the fender. may mill them down further too. not giving up yet!
Old 03-29-13, 11:39 AM
bobones

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Bostic
I still have to add on some of these to be ready for full down pour commutes and longer rides.

Nice! The flaps really help keep your feet dry and are appreciated on group rides. I'm in the west of Scotland so it rains more often that not.
Old 03-29-13, 12:38 PM
d_D
645f44

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Domane 4.5 with full fenders and 25mm tyres. I'm using crud road racers but I don't see why other fenders designed for close clearance frames / calipers would not work. I also know a couple of people with full fenders on Madones with 23mm tyres.
There is a page here showing a different fender on a Domane. https://classiccycleus.com/home/pdw-full-metal-fenders/

I suspect your dealer is a bit clueless and is blaming Trek instead of admitting his own ignorance. I just can't see Trek telling him to fit their own brand 35mm wide fender to a bike that can only just squeeze in 28mm tyres alone.

I also have to second the comments about the appropriateness of this bike for the task. A Domane is horrible on potholes or cobblestones. It's just marginally less horrible that a conventional bike of its class like a Madone. It still has narrow tires, light wheels and expensive components. I'm not going to say it's the wrong bike for you but it would not be my choice for that task.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
domane_small.jpg (98.7 KB, 311 views)
Likes For d_D:
Old 03-29-13, 12:44 PM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fender supports, eh??? I've been waiting a long time for a bike that I could ride while playing my strat!!!
Old 03-29-13, 02:05 PM
mtalinm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks d_D for that helpful post. maybe the problem is that the Bontrager fenders are not the best match. the LBS got it working with 23c tires, but I'll check out the Crud and PDW fenders.

/thread
Old 03-29-13, 10:33 PM
Young Version

Bikes: Colnago C59 Italia, 1981 Bianchi Pista

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by d_D
I have a Domane 4.5 with full fenders and 25mm tyres. I'm using crud road racers but I don't see why other fenders designed for close clearance frames / calipers would not work. I also know a couple of people with full fenders on Madones with 23mm tyres.
There is a page here showing a different fender on a Domane. https://classiccycleus.com/home/pdw-full-metal-fenders/

I suspect your dealer is a bit clueless and is blaming Trek instead of admitting his own ignorance. I just can't see Trek telling him to fit their own brand 35mm wide fender to a bike that can only just squeeze in 28mm tyres alone.

I also have to second the comments about the appropriateness of this bike for the task. A Domane is horrible on potholes or cobblestones. It's just marginally less horrible that a conventional bike of its class like a Madone. It still has narrow tires, light wheels and expensive components. I'm not going to say it's the wrong bike for you but it would not be my choice for that task.
Really? On Trek's own page for the Domane, I see the following terms:
-pave
-cobbles (x4)
-rough roads
-potholed

I'm sure it's a perfectly fine choice for this situation.
Old 03-29-13, 10:49 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by d_D

Was going to post that, and yeah.

The best way to get a dedicated fender bike as I posted in another thread is to build one. The bike industry (at least in the US) still doesn't get it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.