Search
Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Trike Tandem

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-22, 02:54 PM
blktoptrvl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trike Tandem

Hello all. I am looking for a solution to a unique problem.

I have a tadpole trike (a Catrike), I also have a wife who is afraid to ride a bike alone - she has balance issues - and more importantly, she has falling off the bike issues. I am thinking about buying her a multi-geared traditional (not tadpole) adult tricycle. When we are riding together, I would like to be able to remove her front tire and then connect her front fork to the single rear wheel bracket of my Catrike - resulting in the creation of a 5 wheeled high/low (me riding low in the front reclined position, and her riding high in the rear position) tandem we can enjoy together, but still have two "normal" trikes when we ride separated.

To accomplish this, I am looking for any hardware solution that will allow us to connect the traditional trike to the rear wheel (extended) axle of the Catrike.

I realize there will be some stress issues and other potential problems, but at this time I am just looking to give it a try. If anyone knows of any hardware that would help connect the trikes, I'd appreciate a heads-up.

Thanks
Old 10-07-22, 08:07 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
Try one of the Catrike specific forums

You might do better asking on a Catrike forum. Just search on "Catrike forums". You will not find forum links at the Catrike company site. I think your idea is going to be pretty difficult to find answers to. You don't specify which Catrike model you own and that may be an important piece of information for anyone with a suggestion. I doubt the existence of a frame extender for Catrikes. If you do a photo search on "Catrike tandem" nothing at all shows up. You would also need a granny trike with the front wheel height the same as the height of your rear wheel.
Old 10-09-22, 01:03 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 88 Posts
I just received a jury rigged trailer for doing just that. The front wheel of the following trike is removed, the fork ends clamp into one of those pick up truck style fork mounts that was bolted to a 2 wheel trailer (no cabin/box, just a frame) with a hitch that connects to the lead trike or bike. so 7 wheels on the ground.
Old 10-12-22, 06:47 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 88 Posts
Photos. Note the fork bracket was attached to plumbing strapping because the bolt holes didn't line up. I had removed the fork bracket before and just put it on hand tight for the photos.

Made using parts from at least 2 or maybe 3 trailers.

Old 10-21-22, 11:01 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Eef. Seven wheels (two of them pretty dodgy) on the ground? That cannot be considered an elegant solution by any justification. Plus, with only one mounting bolt engaged there is only friction keeping the axle clamp aligned with the main pulling forces. Back to the drawing board. As for the o.p., since the 2nd trike isn't purchased yet, why an adult (upright) trike? The handling dynamics of an upright trike are vastly different from those of a Delta. Guaranteed you will pull her into a corner too fast one day and roll both of you over. You think she was afraid to ride alone before? Now she will be afraid to ride with you as well. Have you tried pricing a (used) tandem tadpole? For both posters: I seem to recall some kind of hitch that mounted to a plate attached to the top of a rear rack (that attaches in the usual way). I think it went to one of those kidback things. Whatever it went to wouldn't matter, you would cut the main boom somewhere around the height of the axle of the trailing trike (Delta!) and the axle clamp can be connected to that tubing (~2") with those threaded 'U' bolts that hold pipes to walls and such.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 10-21-22 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-21-22, 11:26 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
I would just invest in the right tool for the job to be safe and effective.
https://hostelshoppe.com/collections...MaAv-vEALw_wcB
Old 10-25-22, 01:49 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Anything you come up with is going to be a sequence of bodges so hope she is patient and willing.

My first thought might be to start from a Burley Piccolo or Kazoo, trail-a-bikes that attach to a sturdy standard rack instead of a seat post. But this would only be a point of departure because they are kid-sized. Then get a fabricator to chop the front off a Trek Verve or similar and hook it up.

Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-25-22, 02:01 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Second idea... don't give up on a tadpole. The front boom of a tadpole is a really simple part that a welder could easily make up a hitch version. You could also maybe make something that attaches to the mast for the front derailleur. And she's far less likely to capsize you than being up high on a granny trike.

Surly makes a hitch for their trailers that I just cannot figure out from photos. But it seems like you could use it for this.
Genesis 49:16-17