Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Are you happy with current weight? Gain? Lose?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Are you happy with current weight? Gain? Lose?

Old 01-16-23, 10:26 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
This is a timely question for me. I got RSV and that activated Shingles at Thanksgiving. At the time I was grossly over weight....199 lbs. Over the next 2 months, thanks to illness, I lost 20 lbs. I've finally recovered but I haven't gotten on a scale lately. (Trying to deal with broken pipes and destruction in our 1760 house and living in a rental house.) But, based on how my clothes fit I'd guess I'm no more than 185 lbs. I'm happy with that.
Old 01-16-23, 11:12 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Shingles? I got that in my early 50s. Miserably itchy, lol. I had never even heard of it, much less gotten the vaccine. One of life's cruel little jokes. 🙄😉
Old 01-16-23, 05:08 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I might be an exception. At 64 years, I weigh the same as I did in high school. 5'11", 135 lbs (± 3).
You're not an exception....I am 53 and I still have a 32 inch waist and wear the same size pants as i did in high school.. I don't even follow any health diets and I don't keep track of calories...
Old 01-16-23, 07:07 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
You're not an exception....I am 53 and I still have a 32 inch waist and wear the same size pants as i did in high school.. I don't even follow any health diets and I don't keep track of calories...
You may be an exception, also.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 01-17-23, 08:58 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
This thread definitely gives insight into what people post on certain threads. Climbers gonna climb and sprinters gonna sprint. I'm 57yrs old. 5'8" 197ish fast twitcher. Graduated HS at 5' 8.25" 170lbs. Played college basketball BITD at 175ish as a skeleton but with some added muscle. Was still dunking in my 30's around the 185ish range. Would like to get to get back to 185 and see what I look like there. At this point, overall health is way more important than athletic performance. This should be true for everyone. Packing on a few pounds of muscle might slow you down on the bike some, but help you more in your everyday life. Pulling mucles while doing something like moving a couch or raking leaves will set you back more than being slower on the bike. You have to take care of the whole body. Something like yoga 1 or 2 times a week might be more benefical at this point than that same time spent on the bike.
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-25-23, 10:51 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
I used to vary between 165 in summer and 175 in winter. It’s been a couple of years though that I can’t seem to drop below 170. Oh well.
BTW - I’m 6 ft. tall.
Old 02-04-23, 09:17 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
My doctor said I should lose weight. So I have cut out cookies with sprinkles on them to see if that helps.
Old 02-06-23, 12:15 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I’m in the pre spring season weight cutting. My schedule is all over the place right now what with the ice fishing season in full swing…that makes it a challenge. If I lose 20 that will be plenty and almost halfway there.
Old 02-06-23, 05:38 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
A couple of years ago, i lost a dangerous amount of weight. I was underweight for a time. I was actually trying to gain abs found that i couldn’t. Weighed in at the full last week. I’m up 35 pounds from my lowest. My clothes still fit so I’m happy.
Old 02-06-23, 06:37 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
I started a new job in December that prevents me from getting a run in in the morning. Gained over 6 pounds thus far.

Old 02-07-23, 10:51 AM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
My happiness isn’t weight dependent but I’m on a happier trend since I stopped drinking and took off 35 lbs. If I’m lucky I could have another 15 yrs on this planet and I don’t want any health catastrophe followed with “well your prognosis would look better if…”.
Ideally I could be 30lbs lighter. My frame wasn’t at all designed for the weight I was carrying. A nice thing that’s happened lately is evertime I ride a bit more the hip pain that perked up when I was really fat goes away.
Old 02-07-23, 11:33 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
61 years old, 5ft 7in, weight fluctuates from 138 to 145. Yesterday, I weighed 142lb so my BMI was 22.

However, I have a belly since I was about 50. My doctor was not concerned. I'd like to get to 150lb with muscle mass. A youtube video for older men says if you build up your upper body, like pecs, shoulders and lats, your big belly won't look so big in proportion to the rest of you.
Old 02-07-23, 01:56 PM
RH Clark

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 246 Posts
Hey everyone. I'm 54 years old, currently 195 lbs and 6' 2" tall.
I'm lighter than I was in high school. I've always been slightly overweight but very strong physically. I could full body press nearly all my friends. I grew up dirt poor in rural Alabama. My Dad needed a mule on the farm, and I was all he had.
I started gaining weight after I married at 30. Wife and I had 3 children together and every time she gained weight, I did too. It seems crazy now how little I was concerned about it as long as I could do everything I always did.
I got up there real heavy. I was 370- 380 Lbs. It's possible I made it to 400 lbs. I wasn't able to do what I wanted to do anymore. Anyway, without writing a book here, I went on a strict diet. I went low carbs but all natural unprocessed foods only and zero sugar for over 2 years.

I discovered cycling at age 50. The same time I started dieting. The first MTB ride I was around 350 LBS., and I didn't make it all the way up my driveway without walking. I kept riding, dieting, and buying bikes until I got to 170lbs. in around 2 years.
I've had 2 years of setbacks with wrecks, and I just had a double inguinal hernia repaired 11 days ago. Doctors tried to diagnose my problem for over a year. I guess I was a bit depressed, and I ate a few things, and drank a few things that I shouldn't have. I got up to 210 lbs. gaining about 40 lbs. in slightly more than 1 year. I forgive myself though because I had been told at one time it looked like cancer, so I allowed myself some treats. My blood work has always been good though. I've had some ungodly tests done. This last procedure was a scope with camera first, that turned into hernia repair. Surgeon said everything looked good on the camera scope.

I've been watching my diet close again and I'm at 195 Lbs. today. I'm hoping to get back to about 175 Lbs-180 Lbs. as that's where I was when I felt my best. My whole decline started when these injuries took me off my averaged 100 mile a week cycling routine. I didn't go awfully far, but I rode nearly every day. I rode 190 days my second-year cycling. I can remember that one because I counted the missed days that year. This past year, I've gone a few weeks between rides and sometimes it was a very easy ride due to injuries holding me back.
I'm just chomping on the bit now, hoping I'll feel good enough to ride soon. It's been 68 degrees the last couple days. I'm only 11 days since surgery though and I'm still pretty sore and weak.

So, the answer is, I'm not happy right now but I'm more optimistic than I have been in a long while.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 02-08-23, 06:28 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
As long as my weight is 160 or less I'm satisfied. Before catching the Super Cooties in late 2021 I weighed 145-150. The long-haul COVID symptoms knocked down my energy for almost a year, and chronic vertigo kept me off the bike. And I increased my consumption of junk carbs. So I got up to 160.

I switched to jogging, which doesn't seem to burn calories as efficiently as cycling for me. Feels harder but it doesn't translate the same.

I also started doing more full body workouts and put on some muscle mass, so even without the bit of belly pudge I'd still weigh around 155 lbs. now.

Anyway, knowing my past weight tendencies, as long as I keep my weight at or below 160, it's reasonably easy to drop back to minimal body fat if I'm so inclined. For awhile I was chasing KOMs and doing fast group rides with much younger cyclists, so I had an incentive to keep my weight down. And I was considering entering the state time trial event in my age group. But since 2021 I haven't fully regained my pre-COVID fitness and don't feel motivated to give up every muffin or cookie.
Old 02-08-23, 07:18 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I’m 55. As of today, I am 1 pound heavier than I was at HS graduation, but my body composition is a lot worse. This winter I’ve gotten back in the gym and the pool to try to reverse that.
Likes For caloso:
Old 02-14-23, 08:17 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 729 Times in 383 Posts
I might be an exception. At 64 years, I weigh the same as I did in high school. 5'11", 135 lbs (± 3).
Blah!... that right there is a climbers body!!

I started HS at 210 graduated at 6' 225 - was very lean from wrestling/football. But cycling was always my passion. I pounded around between 205/230 in the years after - cycling and powerlifting. Got into road riding because I kept breaking my mountain bikes.

I just cracked under 195 for the first time since middle school. Weighed in at 193 this AM - just finished a two week training block and was eating more food and carbs to fuel my efforts - and actually lost weight. Less volume, more intensity... interesting result.
Old 02-14-23, 09:12 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
Blah!... that right there is a climbers body!!

I started HS at 210 graduated at 6' 225 - was very lean from wrestling/football. But cycling was always my passion. I pounded around between 205/230 in the years after - cycling and powerlifting. Got into road riding because I kept breaking my mountain bikes.

I just cracked under 195 for the first time since middle school. Weighed in at 193 this AM - just finished a two week training block and was eating more food and carbs to fuel my efforts - and actually lost weight. Less volume, more intensity... interesting result.
Check your waist measurement. I'll bet it had dropped, too. That's the first thing I notice when I change up my volume/intensity, even though my weight hasn't changed (initially).

I am in awe of the watts you big guys can put out. Thankfully for me, watts/kg are also important.

Old 02-14-23, 09:53 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 729 Times in 383 Posts
Check your waist measurement. I'll bet it had dropped, too. That's the first thing I notice when I change up my volume/intensity, even though my weight hasn't changed (initially).

I am in awe of the watts you big guys can put out. Thankfully for me, watts/kg are also important.
Yep, my belt is out of holes...

Watts you say? Yep, I have them, but need to use a bunch of them just to get moving, and I can't sustain them for any period of time. Any incline and the watts shoot up to the moon, and I'm not going anywhere fast... And more power on the flats they say?? no matter when you are as aero as a 4x8 sheet of plywood!!
Likes For Jughed:
Old 02-14-23, 09:54 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 1,037 Posts
Likes For t2p:
Old 02-23-23, 12:06 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 47 Posts
I'm 70 and happy to have dropped from 254 to 210 in the past few years. I gain a few back during the MIchigan winters when I ride less, but am working down to 200 where I will be really happy. One thing I did was stop eating in restaurants habitually. I didn't really change my diet, but cook at home 98% of the time and found that just using better, hand selected ingredients made a huge difference.

Marc
Likes For irwin7638:
Old 02-23-23, 08:00 PM
Jjbailey930

Bikes: Trek Domane, Felt Z85, CAAD 7

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 18 Posts
Currently 62 and 201 or 91 kgs. At 6’ Like to get down to 180 -185 80-83 kgs where I was 10 years ago. FTP 180. I feel pretty good overall but I do enjoy good meal and replenishing after a ride…so maybe better choices to sub after workout.
Old 02-23-23, 08:19 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Jjbailey930
Currently 62 and 201 or 91 kgs. At 6’ Like to get down to 180 -185 80-83 kgs where I was 10 years ago. FTP 180. I feel pretty good overall but I do enjoy good meal and replenishing after a ride…so maybe better choices to sub after workout.
I hear you, I'm currently 73 (hope to lose a few years, but no luck yet) and my problem is like yours-after a good workout or ride on the bike I replenish with a good meal and beer. Current wife (no plans to lose anytime soon) keeps telling me I'm too skinny. I can live with that. I'm not putting on weight and I feel really healthy, so it's all good.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 02-23-23, 08:27 PM
Jjbailey930

Bikes: Trek Domane, Felt Z85, CAAD 7

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
I hear you, I'm currently 73 (hope to lose a few years, but no luck yet) and my problem is like yours-after a good workout or ride on the bike I replenish with a good meal and beer. Current wife (no plans to lose anytime soon) keeps telling me I'm too skinny. I can live with that. I'm not putting on weight and I feel really healthy, so it's all good.
Ha, Spedfast - Wife is a big contributor as a great cook and baker despite her size 0 frame so I make up for the excess. Forgot about wine and beer intake….so that is an opportunity and detriment.
Likes For Jjbailey930:
Old 02-24-23, 10:39 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Jjbailey930
Ha, Spedfast - Wife is a big contributor as a great cook and baker despite her size 0 frame so I make up for the excess. Forgot about wine and beer intake….so that is an opportunity and detriment.
Haha! My mother-in-law told my wife when she was a young girl that the way to a man's heart was through his stomach--she too is a small woman but a great cook. While she eats like a bird, I eat like a horse. I hate to think how big I'd be if not for riding haha.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 02-28-23, 07:32 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
My drive to be (more) lean has shifted from a matter of vanity to more functional considerations. Cycling is more enjoyable with a better power:weight ratio. Basic activities, like plugging in a lamp under a desk, are easier when I'm carrying less poundage.

I can get in the drops or on the aero bars, get myself in the zone, and ride at a pace I find acceptable with people I want to ride with. Until the road turns up, which it does quite a bit around here.

So no, I'm not currently happy with my mass and girth.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.